Pakistan tests Shaheen II missile

Indus

BBC WORLD.. Mar. 9, 2004

Pakistan tests long-range missile

The surface-to-surface Shaheen II missile has a range of 2,000 kilometres (1,250 miles) and can carry both conventional and unconventional warheads.

The test follows recent disclosures that a Pakistani scientist sold nuclear secrets to North Korea, Libya and Iran.

Nuclear rivals India and Pakistan have recently embarked on a peace initiative and a ceasefire is in place along their border.

Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf had said last month that Islamabad would test the Shaheen II, even as he played down fears of a nuclear race with India.

Nuclear proliferation

President Musharraf has also vowed to continue with Pakistan's nuclear programme, despite international concern following the revelation that the country's top scientist, Abdul Qadeer Khan, sold secrets on the international black market.

"Politically the government is trying to assure the people that its missiles and nuclear programmes are moving ahead, and that the negative fallout of the proliferation affair has not affected any of its affairs," military analyst Talat Masood told the Associated Press.

In 1998, Pakistan and India conducted a series of tit-for-tat tests of nuclear weapons, leading to sanctions by the international community.

Both sides have fought two wars over the Kashmir dispute but have agreed to discuss their differences after a landmark summit in January.

--> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3545303.stm

postman

An absolutey wonderfull acheivement by Pakistan but due to limited territory the range could not be increased. In future it may be possible for other muslim nations with greater land mass to allow Pakistan to test longer range missiles on their territory since the accuracy of the missiles is not in doubt and any muslim nations who allow Pakistan testing could inturn recieve protection gaurantees and discounts from Pakistani arms sales. Full steam ahead to arm sales and greater military independance. Well done Pakistan. Even though most articles from western sources will inject anti- indian sentiment and the new stick of poliferation I believe it is purley for Pakistans own preservation and self sufficency that requires testing and retesting. Also the technology spin offs would help industrialise the nation if managed prudently.
Another proud day in the history of the land of the pure.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Nuclear and missile scientist Samar Mubarak Mand said the full range of the missile was 1,500 miles although it was tested only to 1,250 miles, the edge of Pakistan's sea limits.

"Its total range is 2,500 km. We have fired it to the end of our sea limits, which is about 2,000 km," Mand said on private Geo television. LINK

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Okay, now I have a source to back what I said in that MSNBC thread few weeks ago:

Another thing is Shaheen-2 has range of 2500 KM which is 500KM more than what is reported today. Smell something fishy? Pak govn. telling less range than it first announced, I smell caution on Musharraf's part.
Pakistan tests new long-range missile
By:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/kashmir/Story/0,2763,1165530,00.html
Tuesday March 9, 2004

Pakistan today announced it had test-fired a long-range, nuclear-capable missile that could reach targets deep in neighbouring India.
"Pakistan today successfully carried out the maiden test fire of the Shaheen 2 surface-to-surface ballistic missile," a military statement said, without giving details on where the test was conducted.

It said the missile "can carry all types of warheads up to 2,000km". An anonymous defence ministry official told the Associated Press that this meant both "conventional and unconventional warheads".

Samar Mubarak Mand, a nuclear scientist, said on Pakistani television that the full range of the missile was 2,500km although it was tested only to 2,000km, the edge of Pakistan's sea limits.

Roger Smith

I assume it is a great achievement for Pakistan testing Shaheen II missile. [Admin Edit: Thats nice Roger, but we have topics on these issues so discuss them over there if you are looking for mature replies. Enjoy!]

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Lets not turn every thread into a Pakistan and how bad it is, roger. The nuclear proliferation issue has come and gone and world powers do not have any problem with it and they are satisfied with whatever Pakistan did to investigate the issue. If you further wish to increase your knowledge on the issue, do so in that topics thread not in every other thread or whenever you get a chance to put a bad light on Pakistan. It doesn't sound "cool and mature" doesn't matter how many thank yous you write and how many [ :smokingc: ] smilies you put on.

Enjoy!

Roger Smith

WebMaster said:
Lets not turn every thread into a Pakistan and how bad it is, roger. The nuclear proliferation issue has come and gone and world powers do not have any problem with it and they are satisfied with whatever Pakistan did to investigate the issue. If you further wish to increase your knowledge on the issue, do so in that topics thread not in every other thread or whenever you get a chance to put a bad light on Pakistan. It doesn't sound "cool and mature" doesn't matter how many thank yous you write and how many [ :smokingc: ] smilies you put on.

Enjoy!
WM

You are running the show, so you are the boss on the forum.

It was just my views and opinion, I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings.

Take care. :smokingc:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Its not about my feelings. You can say whatever you feel but it has to be in good spirit and when threads exists on the subject why drag it in every thread you can possibly find! It just doesn't help the posters nor does it help the discussion its self as it derails into something totally different. Missile Tech one thing, Nuclear/Atomic Proliferation another thing. Missile tech may have something to do with this missile test but nuclear technology proliferation doesn't.

Enjoy.

The Watcher

Good job pakistan. :pak

we need to keep these missiles coming and we need to keep showing to the world that there is no such thing as "roll back" as far as paks nuclear program is concerned. yeah baby!

so this test is well and done, whats next for pakistan? ghauri III? we need to invade some countries to test any more missiles of a longer range! :lol

Indus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope it doesnt seem like tit-for-tat testing when India tests the Agni III next month.. It was planned way ahead.. :smokingc:

Indus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This may be a stupid qustion but, how much is a kiloton..
In Amercian measurement system.. 1 ton = 2000 pounds.. (1 pound = 0.45 kg)..
And I know prefix kilo means "1000".. Is there a difference in metric terms..

Does 1 kiloton equal 1000 tons ??.. meaning 2,000,000 (2 millions lbs.)

In this graph it shows India's Agni II has 200 Kt warhead vs. Pak's Ghauri II at 30 kt... that seems like a big difference?

This graph depicts, India's Agni II which was tested in 1999 compared with Pakistan's Shaheen II tested today 2004.. 200 KiloTON vs 1000 kiloGRAM

So, which is a bigger warhead.. 200 Kilotons or 1,000kg??? It seems they are comparing two different things.. because 1000kg is nothing compared to 200 Kilotons.. so what is Pak's warhead weight/destructive capability - only 1000kg??

What is difference between Warhead weight and Payload weight.. Does payload weight have to do with destructive capability or just the amount of weight it can carry to its target?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
What is difference between Warhead weight and Payload weight.. Does payload weight have to do with destructive capability or just the amount of weight it can carry to its target?
Payload weight is the max lifting capability of the rocket for a given design range.

Michael Ravi

BBC has its units all messed up by comparing two from different unit systems.

The Payload = 200kT means that the nuclear warhead is equivalent to 2000 tons of TNT. It shows the explosive power of the nuclear warhead.

On the other hand the Payload = 1000 Kilogram means the max weight of the payload which the missile can lift up.

So this is a basically flawed comparison. Also the range of Shaheen 2 is said to be 2500 Km but the BBC put it at 2000 Km.
I would personally fire the guy who made this kiddish chart.

BTW Congratulations to the Pakistani scientists and engineers on their achievement.

postman

Why does ANY nation require ICBMs? Can anyone tell who will be an enemy in the future? It is the right of any sovergien nation to protect its people from all threats now and all possible threats in the future.