Pakistan plans to build new atomic plants under IAEA

suleman

Pakistan plans to build new atomic plants under IAEA

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: Pakistan has proposed to build new atomic plants under the auspices of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), reported Pakistan Television news on Thursday.

The chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission, Dr Pervez Butt, said Pakistan would use nuclear technology peacefully for socio-economic development, reported PTV.

Mr Butt was addressing the 48th session of the General Conference of the IAEA in Vienna. “Pakistan has made good economic progress in recent years and its energy needs have also increased, for which it requires more atomic power plants,†PTV news quoted him as saying.

“Pakistan has significantly increased measures to protect its nuclear installations,†PTV news quoted Mr Butt as saying. He briefed the conference on Pakistani nuclear plants’ safety and on other projects, PTV reported.

According to the PTV news report, Mr Butt was disappointment that sophisticated gadgets for safety measures were not being provided to Pakistan by developed countries. “Uranium is the future oil and we should expedite efforts for its search,†PTV reported Mr Butt as saying.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_24-9-2004_pg7_53

Pakistan is a declared nuclear power and i dont understand the thinking behind not provideing suphisticated security gadgets to Pakistan espacially when all this is done under IAEA.

mysterious

The usual --> double standards my friend along with anti-country sentiment held by some towards particular countries. :smokingc:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
mysterious said:
The usual --> double standards my friend along with anti-country sentiment held by some towards particular countries. :smokingc:
actually everyone who is bound by the IAEA has to demonstrate the safeguards.

It's not country specific. It's also why the US spent $6bn dollars in Russia to help them safeguard their nuke facillities after 2000.

highsea

The IAEA can do nothing until Pakistan signs the NPT. Any assistance provided to Pakistan by the IAEA or a signatory nation would be a violation of the treaty.

adsH

the treaty only acknowledges the original Nuke states Pakistan would invalidate its right to maintain Nuke weapons and would be in violation of a treaty it signed.

highsea

Yep. It kind of puts them between a rock and a hard place. I suppose they will have to turn to China, since they (China) do not seem to pay much attention the rules. Or maybe France, they will sell anything to anyone...

But the IAEA cannot assist, it would make a mockery of the treaty, and further damage the credibility of the IAEA (which is already not too great).

mysterious

Well, even if Pakistan is not a signatory to the NPT, the power plants that are under IAEA safeguard should receive help from it otherwise there remains 'no' incentive to keep those power plants under IAEA safeguards.

Pakistan will continue building nuclear power plants to meet its energy needs and China (its longest standing sincere ally) would help it achieve energy requirements.

adsH

Its not about safe guards, the IAEA would happily send over tens of thousands of pages of Safe guard documents what is required is technology, that is safer then using the conventional form of energy production. These tech’s have been designed in the West and they are still restricted knowledge (isn’t all of it!!), If Pakistan Agrees to Sign the NPT, it would loose its right to retain Nukes as weapons and would have to scrap the weapons along with N.Weapon related research and it would have to agree on unconditional snap inspections and then it would be allowed to access the IAEA's help on building a modern tech Nuke Powerplant (Subject to restrictions).

srirangan

Banned Member
What does "under IAEA" actually mean? Will it be managed by IAEA's representatives or will they be just monitoring and inspecting the plants from time to time. Also does the IAEA have any legitimate role to play? Pak is not a signatory and IAEA has no right to step into a country which is not a signatory of the NPT. Why is the Pak leadership even allowing so much UN scrutiny into their internals?

highsea

srirangan said:
What does "under IAEA" actually mean?
Under the terms of the NPT, signatory nations are not permitted to transfer nuclear technology to non-signatory nations. The "safeguards" are the processes and inspection regimes designed to guarantee that the technology is not used for weapons programs. It involves handling and storage of materials, inspections of sites, paper trails on facilities, raw materials, machinery, etc.

If a State wishes to have access to advanced nuclear technologies, they have a choice. They can either develop them on their own, they can work with other non-signatory nations, or they can sign the NPT and operate under the treaty.

Since there are only 4 or 5 countries that are not signatory to the NPT, the choices are limited. China's and Russia's help to Iran was permitted because all parties were signatory nations, and the transfers fell under the IAEA safeguards (theoretically).

The same would not be the case if China were to help Pakistan. China would be in violation of the NPT. There is no "acceptable" level of assistance to non-signatory nations under the treaty. It applies to ALL transfers of technology or information that is nuclear related.

The IAEA can't "force" Pakistan to do anything. All they can do is offer incentives. It's up to Pakistan to decide if they want to enter into any agreements.

Elite Brain

Pakistan can buy any Nuclear Technology it needs from France or Germany, even the U.K. If it wants to buy Nuclear Reactors from FRANCE or CANADA (which supplied the KANUPP) in 1970, they will have to be under safeguards so it cant be diverted to use in the Nuclear weapons program . Pakistan does need a large Civilian Nuclear program and a major technology infusion since they are predicting a shortfall in Energy supply from fossil fuels and Hydro-Electric sources. Nuclear energy is a clean source of power and should be advanced in countries like Pakistan.

By the way, Russia sold india two VVER-440 nuclear reactors which were damaged from the Tsunami in tamil nadu, they were not under IAEA safeguards!!

srirangan

Banned Member
By the way, Russia sold india two VVER-440 nuclear reactors which were damaged from the Tsunami in tamil nadu, they were not under IAEA safeguards!!
Two things:
1) I personally covered that news, the reactors in Kalpakkam were shut down as a precautionary measure. They were not damaged at all. Th ereport of them being damaged was a unverified rumor reported by the sensationalist media.
2) India is not a signatory to the NPT, we do not need IAEA "safeguarding".

And I don't think buying nuclear technology is as simple as you put it. Cheers!

Elite Brain

srirangan said:
Two things:
1) I personally covered that news, the reactors in Kalpakkam were shut down as a precautionary measure. They were not damaged at all. Th ereport of them being damaged was a unverified rumor reported by the sensationalist media.
2) India is not a signatory to the NPT, we do not need IAEA "safeguarding".

And I don't think buying nuclear technology is as simple as you put it. Cheers!
Hindustan, Pakistan and Israel are not IAEA signatories, But RUSSIA is :) .
So in order for Russia to sell any more reactors to Hindustan, wouldnt they by law be obligated to be under IAEA safeguards ??
Its a good thing the two reactors at Kapalakapumkum werent damaged i guess , otherwise it would have been a major ecological disaster. Hindustan can build fairly standard research reactors on its own cant it?

yasin_khan

If Pakistan is building the next Nuclear Plant under IAEA then i think they will also provide the suphisticated gadegts too.Pakistan,India and Israel are also a nuclear powers but they dont match with the Five Powers.Atleast Pakistan and Israel are not that much big. In the coming years and by the help of USA and Russia ,India could be the permenant member of security council.

srirangan

Banned Member
Elite Brain said:
Hindustan, Pakistan and Israel are not IAEA signatories, But RUSSIA is :) .
So in order for Russia to sell any more reactors to Hindustan, wouldnt they by law be obligated to be under IAEA safeguards ??
Its a good thing the two reactors at Kapalakapumkum werent damaged i guess , otherwise it would have been a major ecological disaster. Hindustan can build fairly standard research reactors on its own cant it?
Bulk of Russian slaes predated the NPT.

highsea

srirangan said:
Bulk of Russian slaes predated the NPT.
That's right Sri. Same with the Canadian and French sales. It's not as easy to buy a reactor today as it was in the '60's. Canada, France, Russia, Germany, were all big sellers of nuclear technology in the 60's and early 70's. But any new deals made today are going to have much tighter restrictions.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
i think pakistan will buy the reactor from china caz chaina is a good ally of pak and above all this provides cheap electricity.
Why other countries like iran are not allowed to take the reactor caz every country must have the right to get this technology caz it is cheap