Nuclear missile over Southern California

Rimasta

So last night what the Navy is saying was a Trident missile launched from the USS Kentucky overflew L.A. and Orange Counties last night. I know the Air Force test their Minuteman's out of Vandenberg AFB but I've never even heard of a SLBM being launched over populated areas. Usually we launch out towards the South Pacific, right?

I'm hearing too of a lot of military activity at bases like Camp Pendleton, March AFB, etc...as well as flight paths being altered into Los Angeles International Airport, and John Wayne and Long Beach Airport too. Seems a little odd, anyone have any ideas what's going on? Nothing on DoD indicating an exercise.

'Mysterious light in sky' spooks California - BBC News

Here's the link off BBC with amateur video of the missile.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some Russian sources are speculating that this is was a test of a new type of warhead or cruise missile, possibly hypersonic.

gazzzwp

Some Russian sources are speculating that this is was a test of a new type of warhead or cruise missile, possibly hypersonic.
Could the timing of this be significant? China claiming that they are not afraid of a war with the US? Rising capabilities of both Iran and North Korea and an increasingly assertive Russia?

Launching it over a densely populated area of Southern California sends a very strong message imho.