Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Missiles & WMDs
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_M1A1_0419a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1759a.JPG

Nellis_14_2500-1.JPG

Nellis_14_2495-1.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Neutron Bomb: Does any country have stockpiles of it?

This is a discussion on Neutron Bomb: Does any country have stockpiles of it? within the Missiles & WMDs forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hi All. This is my first post to this forum, I had been looking at this forum for last couple ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old August 31st, 2006   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Smile Neutron Bomb: Does any country have stockpiles of it?

Hi All.

This is my first post to this forum, I had been looking at this forum for last couple of years and I see that Its hard to come up with some good quality discussion topics. I 'm trying to think of new topics apart from whats been in this forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neutron Bomb is a potent weapon which has its roots long back to 50's and 60's. Its an intresting weapon which has its share of advantages and disadvantages. I would like to know some information regarding this weapon, I have read the available material from Wikipedia and other search engines. But none of the information I have gone through have any information regarding any country having any stockpiles and having used in any combat situations.

Some links to Information about the weapon.

Source: Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

Could anyone find some information regarding whether this weapon has been in active service or combat ?

Cheers
TheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Past History - Australia's Bid for the Atomic Bomb. gf0012-aust Missiles & WMDs 79 January 8th, 2011 04:46 AM
russian guided bombs aaaditya Space & Defense Technology 5 November 29th, 2005 08:31 PM
Munir Ahmad Khan:The Nuclear Father Waffen-SS Missiles & WMDs 18 July 11th, 2004 01:26 PM

Old August 31st, 2006   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
As far as i know the Superpowers have agreed not to build neutron bombs because a nearly perfect weapon like that would be a too big temptation to use it by both sides.
TrangleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
The russian ABM system over Moscow have nuclear warheads. They might be neutron bombs for the reasons posted in wikipedia, plus the fact that low yield nukes are now thought to be favored i guess since they don't want to blow up their own abms
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006   #4
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Israel has stocks of this weapon. Makes sense in their situation too. They may want to kill the enemy without damaging their own territory beyond repair.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Aren't they forbidden by the Geneva Convention?
TrangleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006   #6
Entertainer
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrangleC
Aren't they forbidden by the Geneva Convention?
If you're thinking of the Geneva Protocol to Hague Convention, then no, they aren't...
Grand Danois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #7
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Israel has stocks of this weapon. Makes sense in their situation too. They may want to kill the enemy without damaging their own territory beyond repair.
I have neverheard this. What is your source?
JBodnar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006   #8
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBodnar39
I have neverheard this. What is your source?

Sorry, Ive been away from the computer for awhile. Its quite easily investigated by typing "Israel and neutron bomb" in a search engine. I thought this was fairly accepted , if not documented. Of course Israels nuclear program is very hard to pin down but its always been widely accepted they have NBs. And correct me If I'm wrong but didn't/doesn't Russia have stocks of them? China too?

I always thought that Indian ocean test which Israel and RSA are suspected of having done back in the 70's was actually a neutron bomb test.............here is some backup http://www.nti.org/db/nuclear/1994/n9411479.htm I'll search more for solid sources when I have time but Israel having stocks of neutron bombs should come as no surprise. Especially considering their strategic/geopolitical environment.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006   #9
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Sorry, Ive been away from the computer for awhile. Its quite easily investigated by typing "Israel and neutron bomb" in a search engine. I thought this was fairly accepted , if not documented. Of course Israels nuclear program is very hard to pin down but its always been widely accepted they have NBs. And correct me If I'm wrong but didn't/doesn't Russia have stocks of them? China too?

I always thought that Indian ocean test which Israel and RSA are suspected of having done back in the 70's was actually a neutron bomb test.............here is some backup http://www.nti.org/db/nuclear/1994/n9411479.htm I'll search more for solid sources when I have time but Israel having stocks of neutron bombs should come as no surprise. Especially considering their strategic/geopolitical environment.
thanks
JBodnar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006   #10
The Wanderer
Major
Threads:
Talk

Scuttle is that China is developing or maintains a stockpile, it does not take much of a thinker to see the reason why China would want such a weapon, low yield that removes populations but leaves infrastructure intact hmm perfect for taking back rebellious islands. Most believed they "acquired" the technology from the US or USSR, conspiracy theorists say that the US gave it to them but I dont buy it.
Old November 28th, 2006   #11
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta83 View Post
Scuttle is that China is developing or maintains a stockpile, it does not take much of a thinker to see the reason why China would want such a weapon, low yield that removes populations but leaves infrastructure intact hmm perfect for taking back rebellious islands. Most believed they "acquired" the technology from the US or USSR, conspiracy theorists say that the US gave it to them but I dont buy it.
We are not that unmoral to unleash such weapon to our brethren! Even if we are losing side in the war. Yes we already have the tech for about 10 years, but that is not a ideal weapon to us since we proclaimed not use nuke first. So the stockpile of it is very low.Neutron Bomb cannot be accept among superpowers because it will lay low the standard of using nuclear weapon, I thought there is a treaty to limit the lowest power of nuclear weapon .
ever4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006   #12
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
1. The only country ever fielded neutron bomb was USA.
2. It was later 70x-early 80x. Now neutron warheads weapons is officially out of service in USA, but they could maintain some stock of neutron warheads.
3. Contrary to popular belief, neutron bombs dont produce more radiation than regular nuclear bombs. They just produce much smaller blast
4. In the USSR neutron bombs was considered ineffective weapon and as such was not deployed. In the case of nuclear war no-one would care about bigger blast of regular nuclear warhead... even contrary, its desirable.
5. As such i pretty much doubt what China have neutron bomb in service. Its useless.
Chrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006   #13
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
No service ,just experimental type----we have to always keep up the tech in case left behind by US too much but that doesnot mean we intend to use it-----and maybe the remain one was extinguished now for we havn t nuclear experiment for year-------but china Do has or had the n-bomb for a period of time, even though it against our stratagem.
N-bomb is comparatively "clean" than atom-bomb but that s why it s more dangerous. They are ideal to use against Soviet Armor and US carrier.
BTWnce rumor say we try use space detonated N-bomb to exert EMP

Last edited by ever4244; November 28th, 2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old November 28th, 2006   #14
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ever4244 View Post
No service ,just experimental type----we have to always keep up the tech in case left behind by US too much but that doesnot mean we intend to use it-----and maybe the remain one was extinguished now for we havn t nuclear experiment for year-------but china Do has or had the n-bomb for a period of time, even though it against our stratagem.
N-bomb is comparatively "clean" than atom-bomb but that s why it s more dangerous. They are ideal to use against Soviet Armor and US carrier.
BTWnce rumor say we try use space detonated N-bomb to exert EMP
Thats a common misunderstanding. Neutron bomb is no more or less "clean" then regular bomb. It just have much smaller blast - in fact, a neutron bomb is just "misfired" normal nuclear bomb. As such, it produce exactly as much radiation as normal nuclear bomb. Of course, its more "clean" in the sence what its doesnt leave a whole city in ruin - but still it will be a perfectly intact radioactive city.
Chrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006   #15
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrom View Post
Thats a common misunderstanding. Neutron bomb is no more or less "clean" then regular bomb. It just have much smaller blast - in fact, a neutron bomb is just "misfired" normal nuclear bomb. As such, it produce exactly as much radiation as normal nuclear bomb. Of course, its more "clean" in the sence what its doesnt leave a whole city in ruin - but still it will be a perfectly intact radioactive city.
The radiation is less than same power atom bomb .nealy 70% energy in N-bomb tranformed into neutron blast. thus the shock wave and radiation dust distinguishly lower than atom-b. And N-bomb has less sequelae compare to atom -b so after half an hour your troop can march into the explosion center with proper protection.If you found your n-bomb not cleaner than atom-b maybe you get a low quality one

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: