Mexico nuke scare

colay

All's well that end well. Authorities recovered the stolen radioactive materials but we may not be so lucky next time around. How easy or difficult is it to detect radioactive material stored in a shielded container from the air?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
All's well that end well. Authorities recovered the stolen radioactive materials but we may not be so lucky next time around. How easy or difficult is it to detect radioactive material stored in a shielded container from the air?
It depends on a number of factors, so it is hard to determine.

One of the first is the type of radioactive material, which will determine what type of radiation is emitted, as well as the rate of emission.

The next would be the quantity of material (which will also play a part in rate of emission).

Then there is the type, quality and quantity of shielding. The type of shield to be effective is also going to be determined by the material type, since alpha radiation can be stopped by generally thin material since it is essentially the nucleus of a Helium atom and comparatively large. Gamma radiation OTOH is basically a highly energetic photon which can require several inches or more of lead to effectively shield.

Then of course there is where the radiation sensor is located relative to material, and how effective the sensor is generally, and at detecting the type of radiation emitted.

One of the old geiger counters I have played with was an old, yellow CDF geiger counter from the 50's or 60's, which no matter what I tested, never detected any abnormal radiation. I latter found out that that model was so insensitive, that it would take a lethal dose of radiation for the geiger counter to pick it up. Newer devices are of course more capable, though sensors mounted in aircraft could potentially run into issues depending on materials in the aircraft, and just the distance (and prevailing winds) from the source of the radiation to the aircraft.

-Cheers

colay

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guess I'll give Hollywood some leeway then,,allowing for creative license. But, as you point out, "it depends".

As for authorities everywhere, I can only hope lessons were learned.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Thanks, guess I'll give Hollywood some leeway then,,allowing for creative license. But, as you point out, "it depends".

As for authorities everywhere, I can only hope lessons were learned.
Honestly not sure exactly how many lessons were, or could be learned.

There are a number of scientific and medical applications to radioactive materials, and it has been known for some time that some of the materials could present a health/safety/security threat if it fell into the wrong hands.

Part of the difficulty is given just how distributed some of these materials are, it can become quite difficult to 'properly' secure the materials.

Now I have not read much about the incident in Mexico, but I believe a number o fthe major Mexican hospitals could be a source of radioactive materials like that found in the field. Given the level of corruption amongst some elements within Mexico, as well as the influence and control various cartels have in Mexico, it is not all the surprising that radioactive materials could go missing. What concerns me the most is just which group was interested in the material, and why.

Those two things might not be something ever found out, or to reach the light of day.

-Cheers

My2Cents

There are millions (billions?) of artificial radiation sources in use all over the world. The most common is probably the ubiquitous smoke detector to medical sources like the one stolen, to massive facilities used for irradiation of materials like food and medicines for long shelf life.

The more powerful sources are monitored, like this one, but there are one or 2 incidents every year, mostly in the oil drilling industry where there is a black market for expensive well loggers.

PCShogun

I also felt that the danger was a bit overblown on this. While I am not a radiation expert, I understand the material is essentially a beta particle emitter which will not easily penetrate human skin. The danger is if you inhale it or ingest it into your body some way. Still, as a terror weapon against an uninformed public, it has value. Some people just hear the word 'Radioactive' and they panic.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I also felt that the danger was a bit overblown on this. While I am not a radiation expert, I understand the material is essentially a beta particle emitter which will not easily penetrate human skin. The danger is if you inhale it or ingest it into your body some way. Still, as a terror weapon against an uninformed public, it has value. Some people just hear the word 'Radioactive' and they panic.
Cobalt 60 emits a beta particle which results in activated nickel 60 which in turn emits 2 gammas finally resulting in a stable nickel 60 atom. It is the two gammas, both over 1 MeV that pose the radiation problem as they have great penetrating ability which is the reason cobalt is used for radiotherapy.