Little question

Pendekar

I got question about Starburst missile. i ask around and got three different answer.

first answer, Starburst is a SACLOS missile where the camera on the launcher will track the flare at the back of the missile and then sent a correction signal via laser transmission.

second answer, Starburst is a laser homing missile where the operator will paint the target with laser and the missile will home in on the laser spot.

Third answer, Starburst is a beamrider where the mssile ride a laser beam funnel.

so which is it?

bia9x

I got question about Starburst missile. i ask around and got three different answer.

first answer, Starburst is a SACLOS missile where the camera on the launcher will track the flare at the back of the missile and then sent a correction signal via laser transmission.

second answer, Starburst is a laser homing missile where the operator will paint the target with laser and the missile will home in on the laser spot.

Third answer, Starburst is a beamrider where the mssile ride a laser beam funnel.

so which is it?
I think the third answer. Because as far as I know, Starburst is a manpads similar to the guidance of the RBS-70 , Your first answer is for ATGM

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Starburst is a Javelin (no, not the ATGM) upgraded with Starstreak guidance.

Javelin originally used SACLOS with four flares in the rear of the missile for the operator to track, with the operator then transmitting by radio to the steering system.

Starburst replaced the flares with a pair of laser receivers; the missile that way becomes a beamrider following a laser targeted by the operator. The steering system receives updates by radio (!) from the laser receivers on the missile.