Israel's Nuclear power in WMDs & Missiles 2

EnigmaNZ

This is a good read, though long, about Israel's nuclear history. Some quotes from the article.

"There is little doubt that some time in the late sixties Israel became the sixth nation to manufacture nuclear weapons."
"Although denied at the time, America delivered the F-4Es, on September 5, 1969, with nuclear capable hardware intact."
"On the afternoon of 6 October 1973, Egypt and Syria attacked Israel in a coordinated surprise attack, beginning the Yom Kippur War. The Jericho missiles at Hirbat Zachariah and the nuclear strike F-4s at Tel Nof were armed and prepared for action against Syrian and Egyptian targets. "
" The Israeli Defense Force did have three battalions of the 175mm artillery (36 tubes), reportedly with 108 nuclear shells and more for the 203mm tubes."
"Israel went on full-scale nuclear alert again on the first day of Desert Storm, 18 January 1991."
"As the Israeli bomb comes out of the basement, open discussion, even in Israel, is occurring on why the Israelis feel they need an arsenal not used in at least two if not three wars. Avner Cohen states: “It [Israel] must be in a position to threaten another Hiroshima to prevent another holocaust.”

Launching platforms posibly include;
175mm cannons
203mm howritzers
F-4E Phantoms
Newer A/C types
Jericho SRBM & J2 IRBM, silo and mobile.
Dolphin class submarine launched popeye LACM (now 5 subs in the class)

Some of the Jerichos are apparently silo launched, but due to their vunerability, other are apparently on mobile launchers. The Dolphins may carry eventually another 20 nuclear LACM using their 25.5 inch tubes as a second strike option.

The fact they may have had the bomb from 1967, and haven't used it, is a good indication they intend it as a last resort weapon. Of course politics can change so in future, who knows.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cpc-pubs/farr.htm

Last edited:

Rich

I know Germnay approved another two for Israel last year. I hadnt realized they would be delivered so soon.

EnigmaNZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, I meant there will be 5 Dolphins in the class once they are delivered.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
ssbn

He he, it wouldn't suprise me, Israel of all countries now, would like the ability to wipeout the attacking country even after losing there own, just like the good ole Cold War days, before my time of course...

Ozzy Blizzard

I'm pretty sure the Jherico 2's can. Theyre multi-stage MRBM's i think, and i'm pretty sure their only single warhead capable i.e. not MIRV. I cant be possitive because i got this info from a piece of fiction and i'm not positive where the guy did his research.:confused: