Indian Missiles & Nuclear Development News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

XEROX

has anybody got info on this missile, last i heard it had a distance of 12,000km, very surprisingly the indians are very hush-hush about its existance

brahmos

Re: 1st indian ICBM - SURYA

I don't think you will be hearing anything about Surya until Agni-III is fired successfully or for about 1-2 years.

srirangan

Banned Member
Agni III will be tested soon (very soon, 4-6 months) .. The Surya is under wraps for now because we don't require that capability, but the successful PSLV-2 project means that we now do have the capability for an ICBM, it's just whether we need it or not.

P.A.F

i think that this missile will never be made coz india don't wanna attack somin like europe.

srirangan

Banned Member
Diplomacy and economics are more effective political tools Brahmos.

P.A.F,
Never say never; but unless there's a clear need it won't be produced. But it's a good achievement to indeginiously develope such capability. But this technology will be more productive in the Space sector.

adsH

achieving any stage separation rocket technology is significant after that its just a matter of laying on the stages and integrating it with your current guidance system, easily said then done. but remember srirangan" we Compsci are told nothing is impossible its just a few more lines of clever algorithms :D:

XEROX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well the head of the missile programme for the indians Dr Atre has said that india can build any type of missile india require, becouse they have mastered that sort of technologhy through the AGNI series

srirangan

Banned Member
They mastered the technology thru the Space program. But the Indian space program (hugely under-rated by the world) is peaceful. India only maintain's missiles for emergency situations, India is very regionally secure and doesn't really need to rely on missile technology.

And India can build the longest and hardest hitting stuff, but the best part is that we don't have to =) That is my source of pride.

LCA_Tejas

It would be nice if the SURYA programme is beyond its conceptual phase. Bit IMHO it is a "future special project". I don't see how we can be developing this type of tech given our current Space and Military programmes. :(

As for India being regionally secure - I have my doubts about it . IT won't take anything more than a hint of a possible axis b/w Pak , PRC and other east Asian nations like Burma , Bangla and N.Korea to set off a major alarm.In fact there are already signs that PRC has chosen Pak as its major ally in a possible future war against India. Given that Bangla has many political parties in its coutnry which are anti-india , there is a possibility that it can turn against India. The other threats could come from Burma and N .Korea since they have the potential to be significant allies to PRC against India.

So India is not "regionally secure" . :) And any tech that would help make India feel secure would be very welcome. :D:

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
This missile is not just to fullfilled defence need, but also as morale booster. Everyone should remember that sometimes military equipment was used as a political tool by some governments.

srirangan

Banned Member
Well mil tech is not a political tool for us Indians. Our politicians are very smart, they'll create issues out of nothing so we don't need missiles to keep the local media busy.. eheh

India is regionally very secure, what makes you think it isn't LCA_Tejas?

brahmos

There is no specific information about Surya except it's going to have a range of more than 10,000 km.

adsH

brahmos said:
There is no specific information about Surya except it's going to have a range of more than 10,000 km.
it is safe to assume it will be improved versions of the Russian models of the same class some were leased earlier too.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro

darklegent said:
Yeah gr8 idea. What country wud India like to engage which is 12000 kms away?
Perhaps the question is not 'how far away' the country is, but rather 'how large' - you could need that range to be able to hit anywhere within the borders of a nearby, but very large country.

adsH

tatra said:
darklegent said:
Yeah gr8 idea. What country wud India like to engage which is 12000 kms away?
Perhaps the question is not 'how far away' the country is, but rather 'how large' - you could need that range to be able to hit anywhere within the borders of a nearby, but very large country.
Tatra your confusing payload with range two different attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.