Dimona Nuclear Reactor a Threat to the Region

Are Israel's Weapons of Mass destruction a threat to the world, middle east and humanity?

• Yes they are very much!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I do not support nukes in any country!

• Nukes for everyone!!!

• Other... post your replies!

• Total voters

The Watcher

definately israel's nuclear facilities are a threat to the region and world in general. its nuclear capability makes its neighbors neveous and makes them want to get the nukes as well for which it calls on USA to destroy and bomb so they cant develope means to protect its self.

Are israels weapons of mass destruction a threat to the world, Middle east and humanity? Yes they are clear cut! some of you might think its "anti-semite" and that israel has a god given right to "protect" its self and has the right defend it self... but so do other nations, people and cultures!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dimona Nuclear Reactor a Threat to the Region
Hassan Tahsin

In 1986 Shimon Perez, prime minister of Israel, issued orders for Mossad, the country’s intelligence agency, to kidnap the scientist Mordechai Vanunu who worked at Israel’s Dimona Nuclear Plant. Vanunu had gone to England where, in an interview with the Sunday Times, he confirmed that Israel had an arsenal of nuclear weapons. He later disappeared and then reappeared in Israel where he was tried and convicted of revealing sensitive military information.

Last Wednesday Israel finally released Vanunu after 18 years imprisonment. He cannot, however, leave Israel for a year. The government does not want him to reveal still more information about Israel’s nuclear capabilities.

On the website of one Israeli newspaper, Vanunu wrote: “Dimona’s nuclear reactor must be removed from the desert and destroyed because it has become a threat to the region. I am neither a spy nor a traitor; I only wanted to let the world know what was really happening at Dimona.â€

In 1957 Ben Gurion asked for France’s help to build a nuclear reactor in the village of Dimona. The reactor was soon operational and by 1965, Israel was ready to build its first nuclear bomb. Dimona has now been operational for 39 years and represents a threat to the Middle East, including Israel itself. Intervention by the Nuclear Energy Commission has become imperative, not least in order to assess the extent of the reactor’s safety and its operational capabilities which could lead to another disaster along the lines of Chernobyl. Israel continues on the path of defiance as the sole possessor of nuclear weapons in the region. It is time to discuss the idea of making the Middle East a nuclear-weapon-free zone as well as being free of WMD. This will bring safety and security to all countries of the region especially since many Israelis also support the idea.
Israel has gone through a period of extensive discussions over its nuclear choices and in 1966, more than 20 scientists and professors from the Hebrew University demanded that limits be set to nuclear power in the region. They warned that possession of nuclear weapons by any Arab country would result in the annihilation of Israel, even if Israel had the same weapon. A single Arab strike would destroy Israel completely while a single strike by Israel against Egypt, for example, would not destroy the country because of its dense population and geographic extent.

There have been two converging internal trends in Israel, one demanding a nuclear-free zone and another calling for nuclear choice. In June 1966, 55 Israeli professors issued a statement entitled, ‘The Committee for Nuclear Disarmament of the Arab-Israeli Region.†They asked the Israeli government to take the initiative to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons in the Middle East. What they wanted, however, is not what has happened.

Today in light of demands for a new Middle East — isn’t it important that the region be free from nuclear weapons and WMD? That it be safe from unexpected nuclear catastrophes such as the explosion of the Dimona reactor or nuclear leakage?

source

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Today in light of demands for a new Middle East — isn’t it important that the region be free from nuclear weapons and WMD? That it be safe from unexpected nuclear catastrophes such as the explosion of the Dimona reactor or nuclear leakage?
When you have some arab league members avowing to push the jews into the sea, some members happy to coexist, some ambivalent, then I guess Israel takes the view that the former are a threat to their security.

They won't let another Masada happen again. Do you seriously think that the removal of Israels nuke facilities will result in the more hostile arab states backing away - hardly. Israels safety has only been guaranteed by its willingness to use nukes if its attacked again on all sides.

Its the same reason as to why pakistan and india have nukes - mutual deterrence - and it works. what, 6 million people against how many hundreds of million?

At least Jordan is sensible enough to start a process of working together, eg the cross border university etc...

thats what confuses me about some muslims, the koran as I understand it doesn't treat the jews with contempt, in fact it sees them and christians as one of the "older" people. yet there are some in here who have a bit of a blood lust and seem more than willing to engage in war as a solution.

Believe me, when you see a few bodies blown up, dismembered, you feel differently ...

mysterious

Gf, its not "Koran" (as western writers have ruined the word), its "Qur'an"!! It teaches us Muslims to treat Christians and Jews properly as they are also 'people of the book' as long as they dont pose a threat to Muslim security and well-being but at the same time it warns against Jews specially saying that they (Jews) will never be happy until they have everyone else converted to Judaism or killed everyone else (Zionist stuff) if they dont; and so it is said that the worst of enemies of Muslims will forever be Jews. I only think that the bitterness is only there in Arab states just because Israel is allowed to keep its WMDs while others are stopped forcefully from acquiring them. The problem in early 1960s and 1970s was that no Muslim state wanted Israel around but today it has changed from that. Now, they are ok with it being around but at the same time they want Israel to stop bullying around with others just because it shares a bed-relationship with the US. Israel even tried to take out Pakistan's nuclear sites because it knows that (with the development of Tipu - ballistic missile) it will be well within Pakistan's target range. So I guess Pakistan's lucky for not being in the Middle East and getting to keep its nukes cuz of India. :smokingc:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that "specially saying that they (Jews) will never be happy until they have everyone else converted to" judaism.

This the very thing that some people of other faiths see of Islam. ie: "specially saying that they (muslims) will never be happy until they have everyone else converted to islam.

if that is the case, then what is the difference between your perception of faith and their perception of faith? I was under the impression that tolerance of other faiths was critical rather than what appears to be an anathema for some.

mysterious

I think you have been misinformed gf. In Islam, the Qur'an has acknowledged that there will NEVER be a time when all humans will become Muslims and that is why Qur'an teaches tolerance (as long as others dont threaten you and your faith) and it says "Let there be NO compulsion in religion". No Muslim is told to force a non-Muslims to convert and so non-Muslims have their own freedom of choice of decision over this matter. The Qur'an even says that on the Day of Judgement, there will be 120 lines of humans before each and everyone's judgement is declared to them (whether they go to heaven or hell) and of those 120 line, 80 lines will be of Muslims while 40 of non-Muslims. So you see, the Qur'an itself accepts the ground reality that there will never be a time when everyone becomes Muslim. So the perception held by a mis-informed few that Muslims will never be happy or whatever until everyone becomes a Muslim is quite false I must say. Islam is a practical religion, every teaching and guidance is based on ground realities. :smokingc:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
The Qur'an even says that on the Day of Judgement, there will be 120 lines of humans before each and everyone's judgement is declared to them (whether they go to heaven or hell) and of those 120 line, 80 lines will be of Muslims while 40 of non-Muslims.
Where does it say that??? :?

A

Aussie Digger

I don't think Israel's WMD's are a threat to the World or the Middle East. Israel has never actually used them and has Israel ever directly threatened another nation or group with the use of these weapons? Other than in a defence of Israel scenario. Possession of WMD's is a latent threat, if you have them you can use them, but I fail to see what the big deal is. Having WMD's and actually intending to use them are 2 completely separate things. The UK, France, China, Pakistan, India, USA and Russia have them and this is not such a big deal, none of these countries (USA in WW2 aside) have ever used these weapons or threatened to other in recent times other than in self defence situations. I'm not saying Israel is perfect and all the Arabic countries are wrong. Israel in my view should completely withdraw from the West Bank and allow the creation of a Palestinian nation. It seems to be staying there purely for economic and political reasons, rather than strategic ones. However as I postulated in another talkback, there hasn't been a major Israel - Arabic war since the early 70's. Israel's possession of WMD's may be responsible for that. If so that's a good thing.The prevention of war is always an honourable and worthwhile goal. Cheers.