China conducted anti-ballistic missile test

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I can't believe no one has posted this yet. Anyways a few weeks back, China carried out an exo-atmospheric missile interception. The timing of the test was interesting to say the least since the White House had announced they were willing to sell new arms to Taiwan just a few days prior. U.S had also confirmed the authenticity of the test, stating they had tracked a collision event.

It seemed to be a kinetic kill interception from the information I've read so far. While I know China obtained some degree of terminal stage anti-ballistic missile capability through the purchase of S-300V and development of HQ-9, I was not aware they had an exo-atmospheric intercepter in the same class as THAAD.

Asia Times Online :: China News, China Business News, Taiwan and Hong Kong News and Business.

China vents anger with missile test
By Peter J Brown

China has conducted a successful "defensive" anti-missile test with the intent of sending the United States a stern message of disapproval over Washington's latest arms sales to Taiwan.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu described the January 11 event as a test of "ground-based midcourse missile interception technology" conducted "within its territory". It was defensive in nature and targeted at no country, she said.

The test "is just a game about the US sales of weapons to Taiwan; about the non-proliferation of missiles; and about the prevention of an arms race in outer space between the US and China." according to Li Shouping, professor in international law at the School of Law of Beijing Institute of Technology and director of the Institute of Space Law.

The test was a direct response to the US Department of Defense decision on January 6 to sell weapons, including the Patriot III anti-missile system, to Taiwan, Li said in a commentary at the Res Communis web site [1]. Since the sale would integrate Taiwan into the Theater Missile Defense System (TMD) of the US, the Chinese government thought it harmed the sovereignty of China and violated the principle in international law, he wrote. Li declined to respond to questions from Asia Times Online.

I can't believe no one has posted this yet. Anyways a few weeks back, China carried out an exo-atmospheric missile interception. The timing of the test was interesting to say the least since the White House had announced they were willing to sell new arms to Taiwan just a few days prior. U.S had also confirmed the authenticity of the test, stating they had tracked a collision event.

It seemed to be a kinetic kill interception from the information I've read so far. While I know China obtained some degree of terminal stage anti-ballistic missile capability through the purchase of S-300V and development of HQ-9, I was not aware they had an exo-atmospheric intercepter in the same class as THAAD.
I don't know its in the same class as THAAD, from the videos shown here in China, this was about 2 weeks ago - you are right , they showed some parade photos and a launch out of a system very similar looking to a S300xxxx launching in a very snowy field.

If I see it again I will record it on my phone and post it. Only thing I could find now for you all to see is here:

The announcement :

Title: Missile tracking exercises to improve combat capability Description 创建:2010-01-07

was just as the Patriot sales announcement was made, here is a link to the glorious video on Sina. µ¼µ¯¸ú×ÙÑÝÁ·Ìá¸ß¶Ô¿¹ÄÜÁ¦ ¾üʱ¨µÀ CCTV.com - hope you guys and girls can see this. If you can not let me know I will download and post the video here.

Plas
A Russian Bear in China.

lizs

The interceptor should be either HQ-19(SC-19) or HQ-26, nothing to do with S-300 or HQ-9, possibly derived from KT-1.

Just summarize a few points:

1. The project started in 1990s under the program 863-409.
2. The Chinese KKV first achieved suspension test in 1999, weighted 35kg.
3. The ASAT with KKV was first tested on 7/7/2005, then on 2/6/2006, finally succeeded on 1/11/2007.
4. Three-stage booster.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The HQ-19 is an alleged Chinese development of something based on the S-400... so claiming it has nothing to do with the S-300 is rather silly (ultimately the S-400 is a very upgraded S-300). I wasn't able to find anything at all on the HQ-26 so further elaboration would be appreciated.

lizs

The HQ-19 is an alleged Chinese development of something based on the S-400... so claiming it has nothing to do with the S-300 is rather silly (ultimately the S-400 is a very upgraded S-300). I wasn't able to find anything at all on the HQ-26 so further elaboration would be appreciated.
Who alleged? HQ-19's relationship with S-400 is only rumored. But the ASAT mission for HQ-19 is confirmed.

The booster was originally named "KT-409", completely indigenous.

The only technical specification in Chinese official news lies in the keyword "mid-course". The US counterpart (GBI) for mid-course interception weighs 12.7 tons, far beyond SM-3 or THAAD class. As commonsense, how can a S-300 derivative climb to an altitude of a few hundred miles and reach the speed of a satellite?

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good question. So perhaps the HQ-19 wasn't the system involved in the test?

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a good question. So perhaps the HQ-19 wasn't the system involved in the test?
Russia has not offered S-400 to China. They still got a bit of sand in their vagina over China using S-300's technology to develop the HQ-9.

The most important is the test was a mid-course intercept, prior to the warheads re-entry into the atmosphere. Also, this is a kinetic kill, and we already know that Russian SAM systems use proximity fuse warheads. That's a very advanced capability, something S-400 or HQ-19 cannot provide. It has to be a new type of missile China kept away from the spotlight.

lizs

Russia has not offered S-400 to China. They still got a bit of sand in their vagina over China using S-300's technology to develop the HQ-9.

The most important is the test was a mid-course intercept, prior to the warheads re-entry into the atmosphere. Also, this is a kinetic kill, and we already know that Russian SAM systems use proximity fuse warheads. That's a very advanced capability, something S-400 or HQ-19 cannot provide. It has to be a new type of missile China kept away from the spotlight.
HQ-19 is said to be a Chinese counterpart of SM-3.

BK101

I know that many people in here have great insight and experience in the world of military defense, and I do not, but I have one real quick question......
Why is it countries like China, Iran, North Korea, ect., constantly release information about new technology that has been developed by their military, and western countries do not until decades later? For an example, the U.S. and its stealth fighters/bombers were developed and operational a decade before it was known to the public. Some Eastern countries "say" that they have a new equipment that is just mind blowing, but as soon as it is successful, they tell the whole world............Why? I would keep it a secret:rolleyes:
Can somebody please explain? It just seems that new technology is being developed by these countries all the time and I read about them, but I never see the evidence.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Can somebody please explain? It just seems that new technology is being developed by these countries all the time and I read about them, but I never see the evidence.
no idea, but the average in service time for major black assets in the US is close to 10 years. ie they have been using them in service for 10 years before the public had an open showing.

I'd hazard a guess that the early announcers have an minferiority complex and have a need to be seen as being advanced.

it's interesting as the americans don't have a need to prove anything, and yet some from those who seek to emulate trivialise US technologies - but at the same time have a need to announce that they are doing things in the same space.

eg carriers, 5th gen aircraft, space based weapons, multi-seeker weapons, hypersonics etc etc....

whats even funnier is when you see kids bucketing US technology and then get all excited when their own country makes an announcement about building the very technology that they have dismissed.

go figure.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
no idea, but the average in service time for major black assets in the US is close to 10 years. ie they have been using them in service for 10 years before the public had an open showing.

I'd hazard a guess that the early announcers have an minferiority complex and have a need to be seen as being advanced.

it's interesting as the americans don't have a need to prove anything, and yet some from those who seek to emulate trivialise US technologies - but at the same time have a need to announce that they are doing things in the same space.

eg carriers, 5th gen aircraft, space based weapons, multi-seeker weapons, hypersonics etc etc....

whats even funnier is when you see kids bucketing US technology and then get all excited when their own country makes an announcement about building the very technology that they have dismissed.

go figure.
I suspect it is a combination of factors.

Some of it has to do with mindset, with the US being a known 'power' the feeling is that it is better to have an 'Ace in the hole' or two, or three... that other nations/groups do not know about, rather than have all the capabilities known and understood. Particularly in light of the fact that the US is a nuclear power. After all, how much more dangerous can a nation get, after they have fission or fusion warheads?

Some of the difference also likely comes from the difference in information and media access between the US/Western bloc nations in general, and other Eastern bloc or Non-aligned nations. After all, Nation 'A' might suddenly announce to their citizens/the world the development of a high-speed 300 kts underwater missile. To their citizens and perhaps even the rest of the world, that might be a big deal, not realising due to restrictions on accessing information from outside sources or the march of time, that the US had trialled and abandoned a similar system three decades before...

The same applies when a given nation demos their 'brand new' SPAAG system, which essentially consists of a quad HMG mounting on a truck chassis. Such a release via domestic media is for local/national consumption, if the targeted audience does not have access (or perhaps know to look) back at SPAAG systems from WWII, where truck or half-track mounted triple of quad AA guns were rather common.

-Cheers

Belesari

You also have to remember alot of military stuff is ment for public consumption like in Iran and NK.

Also people have become kinda anti Military in the US in some places........and they are loud. But then yes we like to hide stuff to keep ya guessing :D

einsamuboot

I know that many people in here have great insight and experience in the world of military defense, and I do not, but I have one real quick question......
Why is it countries like China, Iran, North Korea, ect., constantly release information about new technology that has been developed by their military, and western countries do not until decades later? For an example, the U.S. and its stealth fighters/bombers were developed and operational a decade before it was known to the public. Some Eastern countries "say" that they have a new equipment that is just mind blowing, but as soon as it is successful, they tell the whole world............Why? I would keep it a secret:rolleyes:
you mean that the countries like China don't want to keep secret while the U.S keep secret well? I don't think so. In fact many weapons in China were known by people long after their operation in the force, such as J 10 fighter.

rip

you mean that the countries like China don't want to keep secret while the U.S keep secret well? I don't think so. In fact many weapons in China were known by people long after their operation in the force, such as J 10 fighter.
In fact Black programs are fairly rare in the US military procurement and much more expensive when we try and often fail to keep it secret. Just about everyone knew that there was a stealth aircraft out there long before it was officially revealed. If you want to know about this things get a subscription to Aviation Week and Space Technology and read between the lines.

My2Cents

Truly 'black' programs are seldom, if ever, possible. The best you can hope for is to conceal the true nature, status, or location.

In the 'stealth program', for example, the USA managed to conceal the degree of success and the operational status. This was possible because of simple realization at the Lockheed Skunk Works that in thier testing that the principle reflection that they were observing was from the pole that the model was mounted on. So they developed a 'stealth pole' to test it on. That was the big secret. Nobody else realized this, so the USSR believed from their own experiments that stealth planes were impossible.

squallgzy

HQ-19 has NO relationship with S-400(S-300PMU2), it's a THAAD class missile with in/ex-atmosphere KKV, operated by PLAAF. HQ-26 is a SM-3 class missile perated by PLAN.
For the test in 2010, the possible missile is KT-409, it's a GBI class missile, operated by SAC.