Canada Still Undecided on Missile Defense

yasin_khan

Canada will amend its agreement with the U.S. governing the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) to allow that organization to provide missile warning information to the U.S. ballistic missile defense system.

Defense analysts are calling the move the first major step for Canada to eventually take a role in the missile shield.

But Defence Minister Bill Graham, who made the announcement Aug. 5 during a press conference televised from Ottawa, said that despite the amendment to the NORAD agreement, Canada has not made any final decision on whether to take part in the U.S. missile system. “This decision does not affect or in any way determine the ultimate decision as to whether Canada will participate in missile defense,” Graham said.

The amendment authorizes NORAD, based in Colorado Springs, Colo., to make its missile warning function available to the U.S. commands conducting ballistic missile defense.

Graham said Canada decided on the amendment because U.S. officials had indicated they were ready to build a new missile defense warning system if they could not have access to NORAD facilities. He said there was concern among Canadian officials that a new system would have “eventually rendered NORAD obsolete …

“What this does is preserve NORAD and give us the option to participate or not to participate [in missile defense],” Graham said. “If we didn’t do this today, we would have foreclosed our options.”

Graham gave no date by which Canada will decide whether it will participate in the ballistic missile defense system.

But analyst Steve Staples said the Canadian government is taking an incremental approach to including Canada in the missile shield. Graham is “caught in a contradiction,” said Staples, a defense analyst with the Ottawa-based Polaris Institute. “If Canada is providing missile warning information [through] NORAD, then that’s a missile defense function.”

David Rudd, executive director of the Toronto-based Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies, said Graham’s announcement signals that Canada now has “one foot firmly on the missile defense playing field.”

Rudd said the missile warning function NORAD provides would be necessary for any missile defense system, but that Graham was attempting to downplay the announcement.

Canadian and U.S. government officials have been discussing Canada’s potential involvement in the missile shield for more than a year now.

On Jan. 15, the Canadian Defence Department announced that then-Defence Minister David Pratt had sent a letter to U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld requesting that Canada be given approval to view technical data on the missile defense system so it could make a decision on whether to play a role. Pratt also recommended that that cooperation on missile defense should be through NORAD.

“It is our intent to negotiate in the coming months a Missile Defence Framework Memorandum of Understanding with the United States with the objective of including Canada as a participant in the current U.S. missile defense program and expanding and enhancing information exchange,” Pratt wrote in his letter.

Rumsfeld responded that Canada and the U.S. should expand their cooperation in the area of missile defense and agreed to hold discussions on the issue.

Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin has voiced his support for the U.S. system, but he has faced opposition from within his own ruling Liberal Party government on Canadian involvement in the shield. On Feb. 24 in the House of Commons, 29 members of Parliament from Martin’s party voted with opposition members to break off missile defense negotiations with the U.S. government.

The motion was defeated 155 to 71, but it showed divisions inside the government about Canadian participation, according to military analysts.

Speaking before the Senate Committee on Defence on Feb. 23, Jim Wright, assistant deputy minister for global security policy at the Department of Foreign Affairs, said that the United States has not asked to use Canadian territory for the system. But he noted that a contribution to the shield could involve the use of Canadian personnel at NORAD headquarters in Colorado Springs.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3119584&C=airwar

mysterious

I think Paul Martin gave Dubya the nod (or did he not?) this time round on Dubya's recent visit to Ottawa. But that visit has definitely stirred quite a debate here in Canada with several analysts coming up with different analyses. Lets see what happens.

redsoulja

well he kept the discussion open, the military is scared that if we dont join NORAD is gonna become obsolete, or thats what CBC analysts say...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
redsoulja said:
well he kept the discussion open, the military is scared that if we dont join NORAD is gonna become obsolete, or thats what CBC analysts say...
Those CBC analysts need to go back to school I think. A negative Canadian decison would not impact on NORAD's functionality. If anything it makes Canada more responsible for intrusion overflights - and it's something that militarily she could not control in her own right.

where do TV stations dig these people up from??

highsea

It's all politics. It's PC in Canada to be "anti-missile shield".

NORAD will share data with the US Missile Defence Command or we'll build a new EW network. We are not going to scrap NMD. Martin has always been a supporter of the system, but now that he's PM, he has to act like he's not really in favor any more.

A couple days ago he made a statement that Canada would not "fund" the system or allow interceptors to be based in Canada. Only thing is, the US never asked Canada for money, and the only interceptor bases in North America are in Alaska and California. So big deal...

http://www.canada.com/components/printstory/printstory4.aspx?id=f02a4367-b138-4f32-ae17-32da81fb4a02

redsoulja

highseas it isn't necessarily PC, a large number of canadians are anti-american in the sense that we don't like the neighbour to teh south. i think as time goes by canada is becoming more like the european chocolate making countries, adn teh US is moving faster form that direction. NMD is one of major points, look at smae-sex marriages, marijuana ldecriminalizatione etc
gary yeah the media is particularly lazy when it comes to getting technically correct stories and they love dramatze everything, there was somewhat of a mini-red scare when the chinese company Minmetals was buying Noranda...

highsea

redsoulja,
I don't think Canada is as anti-American as you seem to think. The young people like yourself may be, but the large majority really are not. My comment was just that it is "Politically Correct" in Ottawa to oppose NMD.

Canada can disagree with the US on Iraq and it doesn't mean that she isn't still the US's largest trading partner and closest ally. Canada still has forces today in Afghanistan and Bosnia. I have many, many friends in BC, and travel through there every year on my way north. What I hear from them, and what I see myself, is that the anti-American feelings are much stronger in Canada's youth than the adults. This is seen as a somewhat disturbing trend by a lot of people from both Canada and the US.

And "grumbling" about your "big brother" to the south has always been something of a National pasttime. But our history is that we have always come to each other's aid. Read about the Halifax explosion of 1917 sometime. The people of Halifax still send a Christmas tree to Boston every year.

The media portrays everything in terms of one extreme or the other. It's the same way in the states, it's called demographics. It's not really representative of the general population, which tends to be more "middle of the road" as a whole.

mysterious

Canada has always provided help to its southern neighbour whenever deemed correct to do so. Current example, the bulk of diverted US flights handled by Canada on 9/11 and after that. Dubya, on his recent visit went to Halifax (if I remember correctly it was Halifax) and thanked the people of the maritime provinces for being that helpful and supportive.

And "grumbling" about your "big brother" to the south has always been something of a National pasttime.
And thats a two-way street, lets not forget that. :smokingc:

Mod Edit: Gf - Layout fixed

redsoulja

lol highseas ur prettyright about our national pasttimes :roll
well a significant percentageof canadians are anti-american,
yet u have to admit well over half of canadians despise the bush admin.

highsea

redsoulja said:
yet u have to admit well over half of canadians despise the bush admin.
So do 49% of Americans. ;)

(Or at least they voted for the other guy)

I just wanted to point out that anti-Bush doesn't necessarily mean anti-America.