what would Egypt do?

kcb

Question; if , god forbid, there was an armed conflict between the developing Syrian Iranian defence packed and Israel, what would Egypt do? how would they respond?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If Syria and Iran were that foolish to try and take on the IDF, Egypt would take great satisfaction on watching Iran take a beating to knock her down a few notches.

eaf-f16

If Syria and Iran were that foolish to try and take on the IDF, Egypt would take great satisfaction on watching Iran take a beating to knock her down a few notches.
Egypt and Iran both have been making efforts recently to turn the page on their past disputes and both have said they are looking forward to re-establish diplomatic relations in the near future. And Egypt already has good relations with Syria. And considering that Egypt strongly opposed the US invasion of Iraq from the very beginning even though at the time Iraq was also seen as a major regional competitor to Egypt as Iran is now I highly doubt that our country or our president would like to see yet another one of Israel's and/or America's senseless wars in the Middle East. Wars that do nothing but put countries in ruin, give rise to extremism and terrorism and destabilize our already troubled region.

And any Arab or Muslim leader who backs Israel over another Muslim or Arab country would be committing political suicide.

I predict that if, God forbid, such a conflict would erupt, that Egypt would condemn any Israeli attacks on either Iran or Syria, maybe increase the Egyptian military's readiness level and try to broker a ceasefire or at least urge for one. I don't think Egypt would do anything aside from the things I mentioned.

I predict that both Iran and Syria will come out of this standoff with West unscathed. IMO, this whole situation will end in a few months or at the latest by the end of the year. Although, I do have fears that Israel might try an Osirak-style attack on Iran's nuclear facilities. Iran has some pretty sophisticated AD systems around them and not mention Iran's nuclear facilities are buried underground but whether or not such a strike would be successful or not is something I cannot predict.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Egypt and Iran both have been making efforts recently to turn the page on their past disputes and both have said they are looking forward to re-establish diplomatic relations in the near future. And Egypt already has good relations with Syria. And considering that Egypt strongly opposed the US invasion of Iraq from the very beginning even though at the time Iraq was also seen as a major regional competitor to Egypt as Iran is now I highly doubt that our country or our president would like to see yet another one of Israel's and/or America's senseless wars in the Middle East. Wars that do nothing but put countries in ruin, give rise to extremism and terrorism and destabilize our already troubled region.

And any Arab or Muslim leader who backs Israel over another Muslim or Arab country would be committing political suicide.

I predict that if, God forbid, such a conflict would erupt, that Egypt would condemn any Israeli attacks on either Iran or Syria, maybe increase the Egyptian military's readiness level and try to broker a ceasefire or at least urge for one. I don't think Egypt would do anything aside from the things I mentioned.

I predict that both Iran and Syria will come out of this standoff with West unscathed. IMO, this whole situation will end in a few months or at the latest by the end of the year. Although, I do have fears that Israel might try an Osirak-style attack on Iran's nuclear facilities. Iran has some pretty sophisticated AD systems around them and not mention Iran's nuclear facilities are buried underground but whether or not such a strike would be successful or not is something I cannot predict.
Even though that they may be reaching out to each other doesn`t mean that Egypt places alot of trust in Irainian intentions in that regoin, I think they would not act militarily on behalf of Syria or Iran but would agree with you that they would try to bring everybody to a peace table to end the fighting. If Israel, Syria or Iran go at it then someone will most definetly feel the effects of that confrontation. Let`s hope cooler heads will always prevail to prevent anything like this from ever happening.

eaf-f16

Even though that they may be reaching out to each other doesn`t mean that Egypt places alot of trust in Irainian intentions in that regoin,
I didn't say my country was falling in love with Iran. I was just saying that Egypt and Iran look towards better relations in the future and have made progress on achieving that goal. Egypt would never, however, back Israel over Iran. From a political sense it's near impossible and would effectively be political suicide for the Egyptian government.

I think they would not act militarily on behalf of Syria or Iran but would agree with you that they would try to bring everybody to a peace table to end the fighting.
I never said Egypt would act militarily on the behalf of anyone.

Let`s hope cooler heads will always prevail to prevent anything like this from ever happening.
As I said before, I predict that this whole "stand-off" will end soon and more than likely in Iran's favor. But there is a very real possibility of an attempt by Israel to make a limited strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. Whether such a strike would be successful (or significant) is something no one can really predict.

Last edited:

ROCK45

Iran & Syria

I agree with the statement overall that Egypt wouldn't act militarily on behalf of Syria or Iran. Syria would need somebody else on there side for a situation like this to happen. Syria couldn't do it alone and since Syria and Iran don't share a border Iran's doesn't doesn't have the means to project enough power to directly attack Israel on the level needed. I always felt Syria has gotten a free ride out of most of the Middle East situations over the years and are major player. I know the past wars 67, 73, and the 1982 a__ kicking but for a major hub such as they are they get a slide right by pass. Egypt ties with the United States is very strong and would play a major role in any situation on such a level.

eaf-f16

I agree with the statement overall that Egypt wouldn't act militarily on behalf of Syria or Iran.
Even suggesting that Egypt would act militarily on the behalf of anyone in such a conflict is just insane. Lets just leave it at that.

Egypt ties with the United States is very strong and would play a major role in any situation on such a level.
Agreed. But again, not militarily.

wittmanace

it would however be very interesting to find out how the perception of the idf has changed in these countries after the 34 day war, if it has.
i suspect the war, through perception, whether correct or not,means that israel is less ready and capable than previously believed, as far as these states are concerned. they might also see this as a sign that israel is more geared toward full conflict rather than fighting a major group within a country, palestinian territories excluded. one wonders if the conflict has led to any changes in tactics the protagonists would use in such a conflict.

bottom line at the moment in regards to the question, it depends entirely on the cause of the war one suspects.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I didn't say my country was falling in love with Iran. I was just saying that Egypt and Iran look towards better relations in the future and have made progress on achieving that goal. Egypt would never, however, back Israel over Iran. From a political sense it's near impossible and would effectively be political suicide for the Egyptian government.

I never said Egypt would act militarily on the behalf of anyone.

As I said before, I predict that this whole "stand-off" will end soon and more than likely in Iran's favor. But there is a very real possibility of an attempt by Israel to make a limited strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. Whether such a strike would be successful (or significant) is something no one can really predict.
I personally am not worried what Israel is thinking about doing with Irans nuke program as much as what the U.S may do. The underground concrete busters may have been approved for our B-2 bombers that the current administration has been trying to rush into procurement.

ROCK45

Egypt

Quote: Originally Posted by ROCK45 View Post
Egypt ties with the United States is very strong and would play a major role in any situation on such a level.

eaf-f16
Agreed. But again, not militarily.
I don't agree Egypt is the second only to Israel in American aide meaning weapons. A lot of there weapons base is US made and US supplied so militarily falls right behind government.

eaf-f16

I don't agree Egypt is the second only to Israel in American aide meaning weapons. A lot of there weapons base is US made and US supplied so militarily falls right behind government.
If the US makes a strike on Iran, Egypt will definitely not help as far as military operations go. Even Saudi Arabia (a country that hates Iran) wouldn't help.

The only scenario in which Egypt would go to war with Iran is one in which Iran invades an Arab country that can't defend itself. In this scenario Egypt would probably join a coalition of Arab and Western nations led by the US to fight off an Iranian invasion of an Arab country. Like we did with Saddam. Otherwise, if it's just a matter of the US striking Iran's nuclear facilities, Egypt won't help.

This thread deals with a scenario in which Israel goes to war with Iran and Syria. Note that there is no mention of the US being involved militarily in the conflict and there is no mention of Iran or Syria invading an Arab nation. I personally cannot see Egypt backing Israel politically, let alone, militarily in such a scenario. Egypt would just be the peace maker.

ROCK45

Israel goes to war with Iran and Syria

eaf-f16
This thread deals with a scenario in which Israel goes to war with Iran and Syria. Note that there is no mention of the US being involved militarily in the conflict and there is no mention of Iran or Syria invading an Arab nation. I personally cannot see Egypt backing Israel politically, let alone, militarily in such a scenario. Egypt would just be the peace maker.
Note that there is no mention of the US being involved militarily in the conflict
I didn't mention it either

and there is no mention of Iran or Syria invading an Arab nation.
I didn't mention this either

cannot see Egypt backing Israel politically, let alone,
militarily
I agree 100%