Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Military Strategy and Tactics
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Yuma_17_F-5N_6500-1.jpg

Yuma_17_MV-22_1339-1.jpg

Yuma_17_AV-8B_6962-1.jpg

Yuma_17_FA-18F_1605-1.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

What is spalling?

This is a discussion on What is spalling? within the Military Strategy and Tactics forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; So I play a lot of military games, occasionally in some of the games I play I will be in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old February 28th, 2017   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
What is spalling?

So I play a lot of military games, occasionally in some of the games I play I will be in a mechanized vehicle and the crew will be killed by (Spalling) but the actual tank itself looks totally undamaged. What is spalling, how often does it occur and can it actually kill tank crews?
whitewolf07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017   #2
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf07 View Post
So I play a lot of military games, occasionally in some of the games I play I will be in a mechanized vehicle and the crew will be killed by (Spalling) but the actual tank itself looks totally undamaged. What is spalling, how often does it occur and can it actually kill tank crews?
spalling is when a round hits the outside of an armoured vehicle and by either impact or post entry energy causes the inside of the armour plate to fragment and also act like a claymore mine but with less energy but just as much lethality as the metal shards and molten metal are dispersing in a confined space

and yes it will kill the crews

its also why some manufacturers have developed anti-spall curtains and ballistic mats

less likely to occur on more modern armoured vehicles but can still occur as its a combination of anti-tank weapon, the vehicle involved etc....

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: