What is spalling?

whitewolf07

So I play a lot of military games, occasionally in some of the games I play I will be in a mechanized vehicle and the crew will be killed by (Spalling) but the actual tank itself looks totally undamaged. What is spalling, how often does it occur and can it actually kill tank crews?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
So I play a lot of military games, occasionally in some of the games I play I will be in a mechanized vehicle and the crew will be killed by (Spalling) but the actual tank itself looks totally undamaged. What is spalling, how often does it occur and can it actually kill tank crews?
spalling is when a round hits the outside of an armoured vehicle and by either impact or post entry energy causes the inside of the armour plate to fragment and also act like a claymore mine but with less energy but just as much lethality as the metal shards and molten metal are dispersing in a confined space

and yes it will kill the crews

its also why some manufacturers have developed anti-spall curtains and ballistic mats

less likely to occur on more modern armoured vehicles but can still occur as its a combination of anti-tank weapon, the vehicle involved etc....