What does ‘Move into Tanking Positions’ mean when in enemy contact?

LaRenegade

Hello all,
I posted this in the wrong Forum Subject earlier and have now figured out how to use the forum. Definitely showed I'm a "Boot". Should of read the directions and followed them!

I was reading about a Medal of Honor recipient from the Civil War and the citation has the following description of the battle. I was hurt just prior to Desert Storm and have no combat experience. I would like to know what type of movement this is. Will someone please describe what is meant or explain the meaning of when moving into “Tanking Positions.” Does it have anything to do with men forming up in a pointed group/anvil or cluster where they attack a certain point of the enemy’s line or concentrate on a certain position/area to break thru a line of enemy they face? The citation reads as follows and concerns the words in Capital Letters & Underlined.

“In the late afternoon, as the 55th Regiment pursued enemy skirmishers and conducted a running fight, they ran into a swampy area backed by a rise where the Confederate Army awaited. The surrounding woods and thick underbrush impeded infantry movement and artillery support. The 55th and 34th regiments formed columns to advance on the enemy position in a flanking movement. As the Confederates repelled other units, the 55th and 54th regiments continued to ‘MOVE INTO TANKING POSITIONS’. Forced into a narrow gorge crossing a swamp in the face of the enemy position, the 55th's Color-Sergeant was killed by an exploding shell, and Corporal Smith took the Regimental Colors from his hand and carried them through heavy grape and canister fire.”

This citation for Medal of Honor can be found @ the Congressional Medal of Honor Society’s website and is in reference to Corporal Andrew Jackson Smith's bravery.

Thanks for any explanations or descriptions of my question. It is appreciated very much.

Later,
LaRenegade

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!!!" --Wyatt Earp