Terrorism Thesis

RandomIdeas!

Introduction
Recently i have been on holiday [vacation to Americans] to Spain, just a few miles down the road from where the ETA Terrorist Attacks happened. During hours round the pool, i thought about how ETA or other terror groups could target civilians and tourists, this thesis covers this idea i came up with. I am not a terrorist, i am infact only sixteen, nor would i ever try to do this. i really just wanted somewhere to post this, to see what others thought.

Thesis
Hotels are a common in every country of the world, hosting mass amounts of people, tourists. All Inclusive Hotels, the type where you get all your food and drink free from the hotel are common in Europe, especially Spain, these hotels cause guests to stay inside the hotel mostly around the pool as all your needs are catered for and mostly - you don't have to spend any extra money most days. So due to this, most all inclusive hotels during say 10am-3pm will have up to 200 people lounging around the pool, however terrorists have never taken up this opportunity to cause widespread damage to multiple country citizens as well as get into the public eye. A Terrorist attack on a hotel, such as what i thought could happen in my own hotel, would be devestating;

Just think of two bombs placed around the poolside, these bombs would not even have to be that "big" to cause huge amounts of damage, casualties, deaths and widespread terror - nor would it be obvious. People leave bags around the pool containing sunblock etc, so this wouldn't be seen as anomaly or a possible bomb. So lets say these two bombs around the pool go off, causing deaths and terror. ALL Hotels, have fire escape plans usually ending in the evacuation of the building to a pre-planned location such as the hotels carpark or the road in front of the hotel. Now imagine if these terrorists placed another bomb, a bigger one, outside in the road where these tourists would be vacated too. It wouldn't be that hard - one read of the fire escape plan for the hotel posted all around the hotel would allow you to find the location of where this larger bomb would need to be. So say if you placed this larger car bomb, for instance, in the carpark where all the people have been evacuated too, you would cause even more casualties and death.

The security in most hotels is lax or non-existant, the ability to perform one of these attacks, given you had the materials would be simple, while achieving maximum destruction, deaths, casualties and media speculation.

Agree, Disagree & Discuss?
Sorry if it's in the wrong place, didn't really know where to post it.

The Swordman

bombing

I don't want to discuss how-to or what-to-do for bombing civilian areas, neither specify what kind of devices are to be used. Special forces do use tactics of multiple bomb locations, in order to drive enemy troops from place to place and get more killing. Insurgents do the same in Iraq or in Palestine / Israel / Lebanon, there are plenty of news articles about it.
ETA is on a very dangerous moment. A lot of their "military" bosses have been caught in the last 5 years, leaving younger and less political substitutes, less interested in containing collateral damages. The recent bombing are off the scale.

ChuckAnderson

Widespread Singular Acts

Another aspect of terrorism that I've been wondering about concerns small numbers of terrorists (suicide or "sane"), who would (for example) set-off bombs within cities of nations that have had little or no involvement in the War on Terror.

Extortion:
The object of this kind of terrorist campaign would be to demonstrate to these nations what they could expect if they become involved in any way in the active conflicts in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya. Even quiet, "behind the scenes" support of the nations pursuing these wars would be enough reason for terrorist retaliation.

They (the terrorists) could choose cities like (for example) Zurich, Stockholm, Hamburg or Berlin, gambling that the nations (that these cities are in), would do ANYTHING to avoid getting involved in a war, taking the terrorist bombings as a sign or warning to stay out of the wars--or else!

They would hope that strong anti-war sentiment would preclude any of these nations from retaliating militarily (or otherwise) for the terrorist bombings in their nations and that the populace of these nations (and nations like them) would submit to the terrorist demands and to "stay inactive" as the terrorists ordered them to do.

Introduction
Recently i have been on holiday [vacation to Americans] to Spain, just a few miles down the road from where the ETA Terrorist Attacks happened. During hours round the pool, i thought about how ETA or other terror groups could target civilians and tourists, this thesis covers this idea i came up with. I am not a terrorist, i am infact only sixteen, nor would i ever try to do this. i really just wanted somewhere to post this, to see what others thought.

Thesis
Hotels are a common in every country of the world, hosting mass amounts of people, tourists. All Inclusive Hotels, the type where you get all your food and drink free from the hotel are common in Europe, especially Spain, these hotels cause guests to stay inside the hotel mostly around the pool as all your needs are catered for and mostly - you don't have to spend any extra money most days. So due to this, most all inclusive hotels during say 10am-3pm will have up to 200 people lounging around the pool, however terrorists have never taken up this opportunity to cause widespread damage to multiple country citizens as well as get into the public eye. A Terrorist attack on a hotel, such as what i thought could happen in my own hotel, would be devestating;

Just think of two bombs placed around the poolside, these bombs would not even have to be that "big" to cause huge amounts of damage, casualties, deaths and widespread terror - nor would it be obvious. People leave bags around the pool containing sunblock etc, so this wouldn't be seen as anomaly or a possible bomb. So lets say these two bombs around the pool go off, causing deaths and terror. ALL Hotels, have fire escape plans usually ending in the evacuation of the building to a pre-planned location such as the hotels carpark or the road in front of the hotel. Now imagine if these terrorists placed another bomb, a bigger one, outside in the road where these tourists would be vacated too. It wouldn't be that hard - one read of the fire escape plan for the hotel posted all around the hotel would allow you to find the location of where this larger bomb would need to be. So say if you placed this larger car bomb, for instance, in the carpark where all the people have been evacuated too, you would cause even more casualties and death.

The security in most hotels is lax or non-existant, the ability to perform one of these attacks, given you had the materials would be simple, while achieving maximum destruction, deaths, casualties and media speculation.

W82DIE

Introduction

Thesis

This is very well possible but when you are getting harassed by troops everyday the main focus would be to attack enemy convoys not the civilian population that you could win over no?

Admin. You've been banned for one day because you're posting so fast (aka post whoring) that its not possible to interrupt you in time.
Please read the forum rules before and if you come back in 24 hrs. Post whoring is not acceptable (ie rapid one line posting across a raft of threads just to get your count up)

Introduce yourself first in new members, and pace yourself. You don't need to shotgun your presence on here with multiple responses in such a short time.

Last edited by a moderator:

assymmetric

Introduction

Thesis

I am not sure that people really follow those evacuation plans, but I agree with the general idea that a smaller first strike can be used to funnel the crowd into a more vulnerable situation. This type of two pronged strike seems a more effective way then a random car bombing, so yes I agree. Hitting the pool first and then an underground motel parking garage second might be better because many people would try to flee in cars and there would be a bottleneck in the underground garage.

This is an old military tactic to funnel your enemy into a tighter space. Reminds me of how Indians would scare buffalo off a cliff.