Serial Killers: Becoming a Military Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonPrice

Banned Member
TEMPERATURE GOING UP

The origins of "serial" terminology as applied to crime and violence are much debated, but the concept probably emerged in criminological writing during the 1960s. This was the period of my teens and twenties: I was 15 in 1960 and 25 in 1970. I belong to the sixties generation. Many shifts occurred in that decade, the first decade of my membership in the Baha’i Faith. But whoever first coined the use of the word ‘serial’, until the early 1980s, it was largely confined in its use to a handful of criminologists and psychologists who studied multiple homicide.

As recently as 1982, just three decades ago, a book on Jack the Ripper or Ted Bundy was advertised as a case study of "mass murder." Matters changed very rapidly over the next two years, 1982 to 1984, as the concept of serial murder entered popular thought. One pivotal event was the hearings before a US Senate committee in the summer of 1983. Those hearings dealt with "patterns of murders committed by one person in large numbers with no apparent rhyme, reason or motivation." Between 1983 and 1985, serial murder became one of the most intensely debated issues in the media, both in serious news outlets and popular culture, to the extent that the USA experienced what could be described as a general panic. That panic has not ended. -Ron Price with thanks to Philip Jenkins, “Catch Me Before I Kill More: Seriality as Modern Monstrosity,” Cultural Analysis, Volume 3, 2002.

Serial murder has mythological connotations.
Uniquely dangerous predatory villains against
whom no counter-measures are too extreme!!
By the 1980s our concepts of science and the
supernatural no longer accommodated a literal
belief in archaic vampires and werewolves, but
the media metaphorically compared the serial
criminal to those traditional monsters....These
newly re-imagined serial killers could be cited
quite freely as undoubtedly authentic beings
whose existence was vouchsafed by social &
behavioral science and who fulfilled mythical
roles of the supernatural night-prowlers of old.

The fact of uncontrollable repetition, absolute
lack of self-control, that made serial killers less
than human and denoted them as monsters &
all this was happening I moved through middle
age and into late adulthood: yes, the world was
a dangerous place for the age was the darkest
hours before the dawn of a new age, an age
emerging from the chaos of these epochs, a
time, an end of history, a tempest unpredictable
in its course and unprecedented in its magnitude.

Ron Price
8/8/’10

Chrisious

I would be surprised if governing states didn't have some idea of how these events occur. I would suspect the problems to overcome seem too problematic to deal with. States have their own ideas of how populations should be moulded and anything that falls out of that mould would be uncomfortable. The fact that you focus in on 1982-84 should have some meaning in regards to high unemployment, which does put a strain on any society. In general people should go to school be educated find a job have children so on. Obviously for reasons outside of the publics control this doesn't always happen. As for schooling a child is removed from its natural parents up to 8 hours a day during the working week, with a few hours together in the home. Is that ideal and how would you overcome this, which puts the emphasis back on the state. For some children school may have been good whilst with others for various reasons it may have been a poor experience. Generally I think most people are intelligent human beings even if they might not be well educated. If they feel isolated from society then although they may not fully understand why, they might still resent it.

Last edited:

RonPrice

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Chrisious

Thanks Chrisious for your comment and the emphasis you give to some relevant aspects to the problem.-Ron

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
While interesting, this topic really isn't military-related (and absolutely unrelated to the specific forum topic of military strategy and tactics) and the inclusion of "becoming a military problem?" in the title is rather misleading.

In light of this, the thread is getting locked - I can understand why you wish to discuss the topic, but please try to keep the content and titles of future posts appropriate to the forums. Thanks mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.