russia-electronic media(waging proxy wars)

artstyle

i would like to start a discussion on the new trends and roles of electronic media in delivering the propaganda of countries,,

for example
a russian news channel RT , i have started seeing it regularly
from one year . we can say that it has succeeded a little in reaching some english speakers around the world who thought or who were mislead by the
westren/u.s prone news channels trying to spread propaganda against any country which they thought it as their enemy.

on the other hand even "rt" started spreading anti-u.s/nato propaganada

does it symbolises that in coming years the electronic media can turn into a battle zone,countries waging "proxy wars"??

discussion welcomed!!!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Russian media is bad at this, to put it mildly. Look at how poorly they did in influencing opinions during the Georgian War. The Russian population needed little media help to side with the Russian government, but outside of Russia they did not manage to make any real impact.

NICO

I wouldn't mind discussing this but one I don't read Russian media.:D and two, I am afraid if you enlarge the discussion, it will turn into a political topic. Maybe you can clarify a little bit so we can discuss this while remaining on Defense Talk good terms.

artstyle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
iam saying that,in recent years many countries have started to spread their propaganda through their (state owned/supported) electronic media , i was just showing russia as a recent example,
west has started this many years ago,
see china ,through its state owned media it telecasts only the stories/news supporting its propaganda ,even though they may be correct or not .

through this libyan mission i have been following both american media and eastren/russian media, while american media every day shows their allied nato forces as peace wishers trying to throw the dictator gaddafi, the russian media shows nato as some invading force creating havoc in a peaceful country killing many civilians

i cannot say who may be correct ,as i was not there on the ground scene, but see if you are following only one side of story one can be mislead......nothing but a part of spreading propaganda.

can this electronic media is going to become a main weapon in spreding propaganda in a new way ...proxy wars....

i say yes

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every war these days is paralleled by a government sponsored media campaign to defend their actions. Russia is a case study that artstyle is proposing.

We can talk about concrete actions that governments can take to effectively provide media support for their troops. At this point that's a necessity of any military action, in my opinion.

artstyle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every war these days is paralleled by a government sponsored media campaign to defend their actions. Russia is a case study that artstyle is proposing.

We can talk about concrete actions that governments can take to effectively provide media support for their troops. At this point that's a necessity of any military action, in my opinion.
yes now -a - days all military actions of countries are supported by their state owned media

its giving a positive result ,
coming to the actions that can be taken by countries to support their through media

* they can create special sub branch in their military calling "military-media centers".
* training special troops for documenting the operation during conflicts
* establishing journalism colleges for military personnel's
etc
because they could form a "media-propaganda-mission" based strategy before going into any conflict or when dealing with a conflict,
the results could be effective when the propaganda reaches people to morally support troops and this could be done through media now a days........

Haavarla

Not all said on RT are propeganda and shite..
They do cover lots of things not only political news.

Yeah, i can see RT beeing somewhat more Pro-Russia in some points of veiw.
And lots of the Russian news channels are state own or partial state owned, so no bombshell there..

But tits for tats, what about Fox news and their stuff..:confused:
As i'm living in neighter Russia, nor US i have to say i'm a little disepointed about several US news programs as well..

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'm a cynic but the more I read the more media outlets I find are sensationalist, opinionated drama factories, lacking in respect for both reader and subject alike. This isn't limited by country at all. I can't remember the last time I went a day without being disappointed in my own country's excuse for mainstream media...

Belesari

Maybe I'm a cynic but the more I read the more media outlets I find are sensationalist, opinionated drama factories, lacking in respect for both reader and subject alike. This isn't limited by country at all. I can't remember the last time I went a day without being disappointed in my own country's excuse for mainstream media...
Sensationalism and Drama sells. That is the reason for it Drama sells and the News is a buisness. So you air what sells. Can't be negative or it runs people off. Can't be to calm or no one watches.

That said alot that is there can still be quite informative if you look past the fluff.

But yea Every countries media effectively conducts propaganda.

Just as an aside the US already has people in the armed services who run news and release information.

RT - vs CNN

RT is a nice counter balance to CNN, I am not saying they are not biased. RT is quite direct in being a RUSSIAN Television they do focus on a lot of specifics of economic, political and financial crises occuring in the United States. Which is simmilar to what most programmes were about the CIS states and Russia on CNN and most media in 1990s and 2000s on North American television.

So no big deal, everyone can write and try to influence it is up to you to make decisions. RT's motto was "question more" I like that, between RT, Al Jazeera, CNN, and CCTV 9 CCTV News - China news, world news, video reports, live events, features - CNTV English from China a fair and Biased story will come out for sure.

Except for NHK... when they are talking about the nuclear leaks from the Fukushima reactor..

:)

Watch learn, and read books my friends.

Plasmahawk

Not all said on RT are propeganda and shite..
They do cover lots of things not only political news.

Yeah, i can see RT beeing somewhat more Pro-Russia in some points of veiw.
And lots of the Russian news channels are state own or partial state owned, so no bombshell there..

But tits for tats, what about Fox news and their stuff..:confused:
As i'm living in neighter Russia, nor US i have to say i'm a little disepointed about several US news programs as well..

Oh and I did an interview for a local tv station, who was booted off the Slava class ship by the officers.. They were booted off because they did not make prior arrangements and were late for the "public" view times..

I told them straight up, "Do not dare show the Russian crew and staff as RUDE or UNWELCOMING. You and your tv crew came - 1. late 2. without appointment 3. without pre-approval or any arrangements... if anything say you were not punctual. :) "

I should have added " this isnt some yankee doodle cowboy jamboree cookout, your film crew cant just show up whenever they please.."

LOL
:xmas

RT is a nice counter balance to CNN, I am not saying they are not biased. RT is quite direct in being a RUSSIAN Television they do focus on a lot of specifics of economic, political and financial crises occuring in the United States. Which is simmilar to what most programmes were about the CIS states and Russia on CNN and most media in 1990s and 2000s on North American television.

So no big deal, everyone can write and try to influence it is up to you to make decisions. RT's motto was "question more" I like that, between RT, Al Jazeera, CNN, and CCTV 9 CCTV News - China news, world news, video reports, live events, features - CNTV English from China a fair and Biased story will come out for sure.

Except for NHK... when they are talking about the nuclear leaks from the Fukushima reactor..

:)

Watch learn, and read books my friends.

Plasmahawk

alexkvaskov

Well said; western militaries have a better grasp on media and promoting their cause.
I've always thought that governments always ought to make sure they can win the propaganda war before initiating operations.