Modern Amphibious Assaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inceptor57

Hello all!

I'm thinking of a scenario of an amphibious assault done in modern time. While I think I grasp the idea of an amphibious assault back in World War II, I have no idea about the tactics of amphibious assault today with new technology and equipment available to not just the US Army, but the world.

So what are the procedures of a typical amphibious assault today? The scenario I am thinking is an asdault on a large island today. Would the navy and airforce first blow the hell out of the island first with precise strikes, then send in the amphibious troops to take over and establish a beachhead? While I think I got the concept, I don't know the fine detail done today.

Also, what vehicles today are available for the amphibious troops to do the landing? I am aware of the amtrack vehicle for the USMC, but are all landing vehicles used in all nations now fully encased for armor? Or are there still those older landing crafts with the open-top roof?

Thanks!

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hello all!

I'm thinking of a scenario of an amphibious assault done in modern time. While I think I grasp the idea of an amphibious assault back in World War II, I have no idea about the tactics of amphibious assault today with new technology and equipment available to not just the US Army, but the world.

So what are the procedures of a typical amphibious assault today? The scenario I am thinking is an asdault on a large island today. Would the navy and airforce first blow the hell out of the island first with precise strikes, then send in the amphibious troops to take over and establish a beachhead? While I think I got the concept, I don't know the fine detail done today.

Also, what vehicles today are available for the amphibious troops to do the landing? I am aware of the amtrack vehicle for the USMC, but are all landing vehicles used in all nations now fully encased for armor? Or are there still those older landing crafts with the open-top roof?

Thanks!
You need to do some basic reading. I've provided a start with the link to the USMC Operations Manual. You may then be able to come back and ask forum members some more specific and educated questions.

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Publications/MCDP%201-0%20Marine%20Corps%20Operations.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.