Mexico Drug War and posible consecuences for the United States

chihuahuense87

Hi this is my second post in this forum, this time is about the mexican drug war an the effects it can have in the united states.

As we know the mexican drug war started in 2006 with the new elected president, since then the violence has spread throw most of the country with every day shootings, specially in border cities, like tijuana, nuevo laredo and ciudad juarez.

most of the drug cartel field young and untrained men into combat, but despite this, they are heavely armed outgunning local police officers, 10 AK47 against two or three police officers in a car always end badly, this situation lead the federal govemerment to deploy army units in this hot spots. the problem is that army units normally dont measure the force they use and this has resulted in the death of civilians, raising concern of the political oposition claiming that the army should be out of the streets and replace completely with the federal police. at first sight this seem logically correct, the federal police is heavy armed with G3 battle rifles, G36 and M4 assault rifles and H&K UMP submachineguns, they operate black hawk helicopters, UAVs and modified Ford pickups.

the problem with the federal police is that even if they incorporate soldiers into its ranks and are supossed to have good training and good logistics, they normaly suffer heavy casualties against this narco guerrillas, i think the same happens to the police of countries with the same or more violence like mexico, countries like iran, afghanistan, pakistan and india. police even if militarized normally get killed in great numbers.

on the contrary to the police the mexican army fights very well this narcoguerrillas, normally losing no men in the firefights and some times one or two if the shooting was verry intense, like the one in villa ahumada in 2008.

now the problem is that shootings around mexico represent a problem not just for mexican security but for US security too. theres a narco guerrilla called los Zetas, at the beggining they were hitmen for the gulf cartel, it was maded by desertors from the mexican special forces, they were hardcore fighters, now in 2010 most of the original members of los Zetas are dead or behind bars, the problem is that they grew so big and so organized that got their independence from the gulf cartel and now consider themselves el ejercito de los zetas, and well they are indeed organized like and army with ranks, even though they lost operational capability with the death of 3/4 of their original members, they recruit young men and hire kaibiles to train them making them the most formidable and deadly narco organisation in mexico, i think the only one that foments spirit de corps and train their members, even if they have losted the tactical ability of the mexican especial forces they are still pretty dangerous, specially for police, not capable of overthrowing the goverment but they cause lots of problems.

they operate heavy weaponry, AK47, M4, G36, P90, UMPs, M90 Barret sniper rifles, .50 cal machineguns, 40 mm grenade launchers, rocket launchers like LAW and the Panzerfaust 3, and also they have stinger misiles, they shot a federal police black hawk with it. they also operates armored and non armored SUV's and pickups and helicopters, which they dont use, at least in assasinations or agains the goverment.

even though this guys get their ass kicked by the military, they expanded operations throw mexico and they have started to operate on the other side of the border, until know there had been no incidents that i know of. its well know that los zetas use gangs like the MS-13 and texas sindicate to carry out killings and kidnapping both mexico and the US, one of the reasons of the recent arizona immigration law is that has the same level of kidnapping that ciudad juarez, some say by gangs organized by los zetas.

if teased by american autorities los zetas will surely unleash a wave of violence against the united states border cities, killing police and public employees, kidnapping, asking for tribute etc, all the stuff los zetas do, in a worst case scenario they can also help with a good payment, terrorist organizations like alqaeda o to breach united states security and commit terrorist attacks, i know it sounds unreal, but los zetas have the tactical operatibility, weaponry and guts to do it and i doubt any american civilian or police force can deal with them.

i dont know what strategy you guys recoment to deal with this assholes, to win the war in mexico, to avoid animals like los zetas enter the United States and wreak havoc there, i think this kind of violence represent a danger to both countries and should be dealt between the two countries. :flame

PD: im going to leave some links of videos and pictures

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5RPjtwj2gc&feature=related[/nomedia]
[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHFBcAYqXI&feature=related[/nomedia]
[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsb7VJ4_Os&feature=related[/nomedia]
Resultados de la Búsqueda de imágenes de Google de http://www.entrelineas.com.mx/assets/images/galeria/thumbs/86_8968_galeria_1.jpg

LOS ZETAS COULD BE PLANNING TO MURDER MULTIPLE U.S. LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, DHS WARNS « Fairly Civil
Los Zetas called Mexico's most dangerous drug cartel - CNN.com
Mexican drug commandos expand ops in 6 U.S. states

justone

Banned Member
This drug war is something that not going to end. When you put thing like money and profit its hard to stop. That how business is when you can make a profit you have no problem getting people in. You going have to just keep the pressure on them so they can relocate. Money is the root of all evil that just the way it is. The more police and specialize drug enforcement unit in the area some will relocate. Everybody down there are not strong fighter. When you a large amount money on the table people are going to defend this money. Just like some of my army buddies join these group because of the money even some police officer here in the U.S. join these organization. They not going to just end the drug war down there. Its to many people that will replaced them. The money down there is tight right now that why there so much violence. You have people who owe money I been around guys who kill for 100 dollars now that stupid. It the princple of the matter if you don't paid what someone front to you they going to get you. It's already here in America it just the U.S.uses better undercover operation than in Mexico. You have American citizen who help more here in America. That why the prison population grew for 20 years all over America. Its sad to say I have lot of buddies in jail now because of money. I don't see this threat from Mexico any different from what already been going on now. Its a up and down battle. Its always someone trying to think of how to do something better. I travel to some crazy places here in the U.S.and they use guns like the Mexicans. This money thing see no borders that's a fact.

Last edited:

GI-Gizmo

The brutality and scale of the conflict on the US-Mexican border is comparable to any
large scale asymmetrical war going on these days. It is strange how this war, which is going on
right next to and sometimes on American soil is ignored, yet the wars fought on the opposite side of the planet get more attention from media, Government and the general public. The cartels are heavily armed and very determined, without the lucrative drug trade they are nothing. That is their whole point to exist and they will never give up. The estimated earnings from wholesale drug trafficking from Mexico to the US, which accounts for 70% of the drugs that get into the US, is around $50 Billion annually. With that much money involved, the war has alot of fuel to proceed for a long time and in alot of different directions. The death toll so far is around 20,000, more than half of which died in the last year alone. The violence and furiosity of the conflict is increasing and 2010 is set to break new records for death and destruction. The main problem seems to be corruption. With so many officials on the payroll of the cartels they are able to operate a large scale distrubution network while under assault from military and police forces. The cartels are very well armed and can put up a fight, but the military is obviously armed better and can dominate using their heavy weaponary. It is difficult for a guy with a modified kalashnikov to stand up to black hawks armed with grenade launchers and machine guns. As for the affects on the US; the drug war effects so much on our side of the border that I dont think I could even start to write about that.