Insertion of special forces?

FoxFire

Hi there,

I'm working on a short story revolving around a US group of special opeartions operators, in a fictional war between the US, GCC and Iran and Syria . I'm currently writing the last chapter which will be an assasination mission in Teheran.
The group will have to assasinate two high value targets, namely: Ali Fallahian (Minister of intelligence) and Mohammed Ali Jafari (commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps). The current location of both of them is a castle in the Sa'dabad Palace .
At this stage of the story the US and Iran are in a full scale war, Iran has already lost almost all of its air force. Since the US is conducting a fearsome shock-and-awe bombing campaign on Iran. There is a lot of anti-aircraft activity in and around Teheran, especially around the Sa'dabad Palace.

My question is, how do I get my special ops group close enough to the Sa'dabad Palace given the fact that the heavy anti-aircraft activity on site, makes a helo insertion or paradrop almost impossible?

Anyone here got any ideas? Or links to places where I could find info or get help?

PS: In my story the Sa'dabad Palace complex can not be bombed, so just bombing the castle to kill both targets is not possible, due to political reasons.

Thanks in advance

FoxFire

riksavage

Banned Member
Hi there,

I'm working on a short story revolving around a US group of special opeartions operators, in a fictional war between the US, GCC and Iran and Syria . I'm currently writing the last chapter which will be an assasination mission in Teheran.
The group will have to assasinate two high value targets, namely: Ali Fallahian (Minister of intelligence) and Mohammed Ali Jafari (commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps). The current location of both of them is a castle in the Sa'dabad Palace .
At this stage of the story the US and Iran are in a full scale war, Iran has already lost almost all of its air force. Since the US is conducting a fearsome shock-and-awe bombing campaign on Iran. There is a lot of anti-aircraft activity in and around Teheran, especially around the Sa'dabad Palace.

My question is, how do I get my special ops group close enough to the Sa'dabad Palace given the fact that the heavy anti-aircraft activity on site, makes a helo insertion or paradrop almost impossible?

Anyone here got any ideas? Or links to places where I could find info or get help?

PS: In my story the Sa'dabad Palace complex can not be bombed, so just bombing the castle to kill both targets is not possible, due to political reasons.

Thanks in advance

HAHO - high altitude high opening, SF leave the host aircraft 20+ miles from the target and drift in. Landing zone may be an issue, you need space, which is free of enemy forces. Alternatively they could opt for a hide in the open approach under the the guise of friendly forces, literally drive in wearing the uniforms of the natives. Select team members which look like the locals (hair and skin tone) to drive and navigate, the rest of the team conceal in the rear.

In WWII the LRDG would often insert themselves inside Axis supply columns. Both sides used captured enemy vehicles and with all the dust and confusion of war small groups of vehicle mounted troops could move around unchallenged. Theres a famous story of a LRDG patrol running into a German forward recon unit at night, both groups exchanged cigs and coffee before moving off in opposite directions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilo 2-3

As riksavage noted, a HAHO drop seems to be a good option. The operators could jump from several miles out, open their chutes and then glide into their LZ. I'd suggest having them land in the (relatively) open spaces of national park/protected land to the west of the Palace, and then have them rally, and travel the several city blocks blocks to the palace on foot.

Some SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defence) and/or jamming would probably be necessary for the operators' C-130 Combat Talon to make it into Iranian airspace.

You also have the option of having the operators jump in using wingsuits or back-mounted wings (Strap-on stealth jetplane for special forces [printer-friendly] • The Register). These would allow them to jump further from Theran, rescuing the risks for the aircraft carrying them and decreasing the likelihood of detection.

As for bombing the castle, I'd suggest that bombing it may well be an option. Have an F-22 overfly Tehran, drop a concrete-filled JDAM on the target and scoot out undetected. The concrete bomb would kinetically kill its target with minimal collateral damage to the palace and civilians. Plus, a bombing mission reduces the massive risk a special forces mission entails.

(Air Weapons: Why Concrete Filled Bombs are Useful)

You could also go for a more covert approach, having a single infiltrator or a handful of agents attack the targets, quietly killing them with poison in their food, a poisoned needle shot from a pen gun, a gas grenade etc.

EDIT: By the way, how do you plan to get the operators out of there? Getting them in, as hard as that is, is the easy part...

Last edited:

FoxFire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The HAHO Drop is certainly an option, but I already have severai Air insertions in my story, so I'd like to avoid that one, for risk of repeating myself and keeping the story fresh and entertaining for my readers. The wingsuit would be a nice addition, but it would still feel like its just the next jump.

I see your point about the concrete filled JDAM, however the Palace can not be harmed, even one concrete filled bomb would be too much. A few bullet holes and broken windows are acceptable however.

Going even more covert, is something I might consider, but I'm not sure whether or not my readers are up for that.

Kilo 2-3 you raise an excellent point about the extraction, I have not yet thought about it, which I should. If anybody has any idea's be sure to give them to me.

Risksavage's approach would be the most interesting story-wise, so I'll think I'll go with the 'hide in the open' strategy. Seeing as they are already in Iran (Isfahan) it should be doable.

Thx again Kilo 2-3 and Risksavage,

Now if anybody has an ideas about the extraction feel free to share them.

wtsimpson7

Taking an inflatable boat and going out many miles into the Caspian until a chopper pickup works too.

Last edited:

Kiwikid

What would lure the targets to leave their palace ?

If you find a way to lure them out, or make their location untenable then you can do the deed somewhere else where you can pre-position your assets - call the shots.

THE INVENTER

Banned Member
You could desguise them as enemy soldiers and have them speek the language. Let them drive an enemy troop transport vehical and let them have an american prisoner for enteragation by the top dog him self. One there there they will give cordenance for a stealth drop a tactical bomb. The Spec Ops would do a prison breack over night. If they were spoted they would blow the C4 that they put on the vehicals over night. Then they would run to get out of range of the tactical bomb. On leader is dead and for the second. The leadership would be crippled, so the us would U.S would lead a full scale assault on the base while the Spec Ops go in from the back door and end the war.:cool:;)

Last edited:

EXSSBN2005

Catch them in the open area between there and the ark mosque across the street, stage a helovac to Sayeed - ash - Shohala - hospital and walk the 2 blocks, team comes in with weapons under the streacher as well as the "injured" person, insertion / extraction could be thru the metro line that goes right past there also, cut the power and wait for the generator to run out of fuel and then pop thru the wall from the drainage / sewer system into tunels that are probably all over the place if it been hardened as a military command post.

The more that I look the more I like the kill the power and go in via the metro tunnels, its only .2 miles from the objective site and the tube runs all the way out to the Tehran west metro maintance area. The palace is also only 3-4 blocks from the russian and uk embassy(5 blocks from US embassy), maybe stage something out of there. :hul