How to properly exit Iraq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkiej

How to properly exit Iraq?:confused:

1) Increase Troops for faster and easier exit?

The most realistic options in my eyes.

2) Get Iraqi neighbors involved?

-personally i think this one is not an option

2) Break it up into three countries?

-like one part for the shi muslims and other part for the sunni muslims

3) Get out and let Iraqis worry about their country?

-Simple but not effective i think.

Well i started this thread, because i want to hear poeples voices about this subject. Well this thread is officially opened!

Mod edit: Duplicate thread deleted. AD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Distiller

Break it up into three countries.
After all Iraq is just a British invention, cut out from the Osman empire.

The north is a Kurdish state anyway, just not internationally recognized, make it either a recoginzed state of give it to Turkey (as an autonomous area).

The Babylon area can unite with Jordan.

And the south goes to Iran. For the promise not to sell oil for Euro.

Plan?

andrei

Good. SPlit it in three. The next day, Turkey invades Kurdistan. And Iran starts a proxy war supporting the chiites against the sunnis - which in turn are supported by Saudi Arabia

Scorpius

just make it a federal republic.and make the armed forces one united force.that would take atleast a decade.which means there can no complete pull out of troops.

Areudoubled

I still don't understand this "exit strategy" talk from the media and the libs, not saying that you're either one olkiej, but we're still in Japan, Germany, S. Korea and many other places. I bet Iraq will be the same sort of deal, strategically located for any other threat in the region. We'll be there for 50 plus.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
We just can`t up and leave at this point, because after that happens Iranian influence will be very strong, this could totally de stabilize the entire regoin.

merocaine

We can't back the Shia either or Saudi will kick us out.
true the saudis had to fire one of there spokesmen for letting the cat out of the bag when he said that if the americans left they would have no choice but to militarilly support the sunni insurgents.

Althought I would argue that you already are backing the shiites, police forces, the army, the goverment and the Interior ministry are all dominated by the Shia, if you support a democratic Iraq you are supporting the shia.

Big-E

Banned Member
Althought I would argue that you already are backing the shiites, police forces, the army, the goverment and the Interior ministry are all dominated by the Shia, if you support a democratic Iraq you are supporting the shia.
By supporting a democratic Iraq you are supporting all three. Shia might be the majority but political coalitions can defeat it.

merocaine

By supporting a democratic Iraq you are supporting all three. Shia might be the majority but political coalitions can defeat it.
yeah maybe in a normal parlimentry democracy where the police, army and interior forces arent heavily leveraged in one groups favor and the rule of law is tenous at best, and there is a tradition of peaceful coexistance with neither religious or racial group trying to dominate the other.
In reality by supporting democracy in iraq you are enabling shia domination, whatever your good intentions. Not that I oppose that, its about time the shia got to carry the stick, the sunnis did'ent cover them selves in glory last time they were in the saddle.

DragonKing786

And the south goes to Iran. For the promise not to sell oil for Euro.
Plan?
That gave me a laugh., if u read they already switching (soon in 07) & including Syria soon others will join the band wagon.

Iran will change their assests., and most dangerous is that they will trade oil in EURO which will benefit EU countires alot.

Anways.

--------

About Iraq., from my point of view and connections it will turn out to be another afghanistan, and the Iraq problem will spread thoughout and destabalize the ME., whatever US & Co. does it wouldn't fix anything.

Saudi intervention, will just fuel more violence on top of what already is their. The Iraqi's have a weak structure, and army, training them willn't achieve nothing, since their loyalty lies elsewhere, the army is just a re-supply depot for them.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
cant really see a way out of Iraq, untill the violence decreases dramaticly. If you withdraw whilst the insurgents are picking up in activity, they will claim victory and the most powerful lot will gain power.back to Saddam situation...

merocaine

cant really see a way out of Iraq, untill the violence decreases dramaticly. If you withdraw whilst the insurgents are picking up in activity, they will claim victory and the most powerful lot will gain power.back to Saddam situation...
Is'ent that how the British got most of the empire, 'well we cant leave because the Russians/french/germans/ will move in' or the blood thristy locals will take over, or both.
On observation not a critisim.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
point taken merocaine, i was just thinking about Somalia though...seems we all forget about Somalia...UN included. What I was getting at, is that if casualtys rise and bombings increase, then that is not the time to pull out and leave the Iraqi,s in the"too hard basket." The time to pull out, I think, is when terrorist activity declines...even for a short time...then get the hell out of the middle east!

Status
Not open for further replies.