Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Military Strategy and Tactics
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

The history of the TURKS

This is a discussion on The history of the TURKS within the Military Strategy and Tactics forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by fieldmarshal But dont u think that religion/religious belives have a strong baring on strategy and tactics. This ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 12th, 2006   #16
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Re: The history of the TURKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldmarshal
But dont u think that religion/religious belives have a strong baring on strategy and tactics.
This is not up for debate. Web has set the rules - and you've been a member long enough to see why Web changed the forum structure.

It's not going to happen.

This discussion item is closed.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006   #17
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Re: The history of the TURKS

Hello to the group. I spent 18 mos in Turkey back in the 70's. You really have to go there in order to see how much Ataturk is revered, as is the Turkish army. Unless things have changed recently most Turks understood the importance of secularism in their modern history. I never had any inkling the Turks were struggling to "find their identity" while I was there. I doubt if it exists now. They are a fiercely nationalistic people.

If I was to pick an infantry I'd hate to fight most it would be the Turks. They are a tough, proud people and produce tough,proud soldiers.

Military-wise they have modernized nicely since I was there. They still have a strong doctrine towards control of the straights. They have always strived to match the doctrine of their American and NATO allies with regard to mobility and firewpower. They have a significant maritime strike capability, a frigate and submarine heavy navy, and considerable amphibious and parachute forces.

But like I said. You really have to go there to understand how much the common Turk reveres their military, most of all the army. And the army is the most secular institution in the nation so I dont see Turkey striving to be the leader of the Islamic world. The Turks are simply to pragmatic and arent overly concerned with problems outside Turkeys interests.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: