Future Strategy

Misguided Fool

Recently i've been reading a lot about many technical innovations in weapons. The US with their lasers (not yet a proven technology, but this topic is purely conjecture! :p:), and their amazing hypersonic "gauss" cannons, the Indians with their future mach 6/7 missiles ... not much on the Chinese front - perhaps they are seeking to proceed in isolation and thus not progressing as fast as perhaps the US or India? And Russia's defense industry seems to be geared more towards maintaining the current equipment than making any new stuff, but there are exceptions, such as the Novatur Alfa Klub, that performs defensive manouevres as it closes in on the target, and their similar innovation in ballistic missiles which means that "no interception system" can handle it...

As i see it, the US will proceed towards high tech options, a bit like the "allies" in a very old game "red alert 2", with eventually gauss cannons being minituarized onto tanks (although a currently unfeasible idea, who knows how far things will go in 20-50 years?), lasers being used to destroy missiles and aircraft and UAVs being used to patrol the skies. I think Russia will proceed on a more conventional route, modifying existing technology (such as the ramjet) to produce more capable and destructive platforms. I think India will proceed with definitely it's high speed missiles - but as it's so far behind the "curve" (of Russia, the EU and the US), i think it's hard to predict where it will go.

I think strategy will once more focus on the US and the EU holding the qualitative edge, although arguably Russia and the USSR have always been on par with the west qualitatively. But once again, in the future, who knows? While historical trends have pointed towards this, with so much revolutionary game changing technology being rapidly introduced and researched, i think a role reversal is certainly possible. What if it turns out that lasers are actually much cheaper to mass produce than missiles or SAMs, but aren't nearly as effective? Or that "gauss" cannons are much cheaper to operate, but much less accurate and possibly easier to intercept with hyperfast SAMs? Could we see a day where Russia's strategy shifts to exploiting its qualitative edge instead of its quantitative one?

What do you guys think? I'm certainly looking forward to some professional opinions about my hypothetical wishful thinking :p:.

Chrom

We dont even know if USA will be in one piece in 10 years... how we can seriosly discuss such (still) nearly fantasy tech as gauss-cannon and laser, and they effect on international military relations?

The laser thing goes for nearly 40 years, and even 30 years ago many peoples believed what only in few years laser tech will be mature. 30 years gone, and it is not. While we definitly see clear imrovment in lasers, they are still very far from being real battlefield capable WEAPON, designed to DESTROY target.

The very same goes for gauss-tech.

Misguided Fool

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
About your comment about the US, no offense, but it sounds like a very cliche Russian thing to say, and i've seen quite a few of your posts exhibiting similar characteristics.

While no countries break up with regularity, one feature of their stability and prosperity is to see the state of the government finances. Russia was last bankrupt in 1998. When was the US? ;)

Are ya sure?

Gauss cannon:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4231461.html

Specifically:

While the 32-MJ LRG should start firing soon, it could take another 13 years for a 64-megajoule system to be built and deployed on a ship. The Marines, in particular, are interested in the potential for rail guns to deliver supporting fire from up to 220 miles away—around 10 times further than standard ship-mounted cannons—with rounds landing more quickly and with less advance warning than a volley of Tomahawk cruise missiles.
Laser:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/20/tech/main578998.shtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10805240/

Specifically:

After 40 years of work, the Pentagon may have a solid-state laser in its arsenal within a decade, ...
After more than two decades of research, the United States is on the verge of deploying a new generation of weapons that discharge beams of energy, such as the Airborne Laser and the Active Denial System, as well as the Tactical High Energy Laser, or THEL.
I hope you aren't getting jealous that Russia's getting left behind when it comes to the high tech ;).

I heard somewhere that they'd had a laser targeting system in action - i think i also read from Gf aust 1000 or something (his name is hard to remember!:() that the trials had been a failure has the system had targeted but failed to destroy...:unknown

Last edited:

swampfox

It Doesn't Matter Now

Now that the DoD is cutting all the bleeding-edge programs because of runaway costs, I think we won't see much of the ABL, rail guns, or gauss cannons any time soon. As for future strategy, I suspect most wars will be fought in a more guerrilla fashion, with a numerically small force using improvised weapons. Our defense spending will be geared more towards defensive weapons against these threats, like better body armor and detection systems, and no other countries are really in a position to make a fundamental breakthrough in weapons technology.