Finding old Cold War Battle Plans

Lostfleet

I would just like to say hello to you all first, this is my first time posting :)

( By the way I hope I am at the right category)

I don't know the proper terminology for this so I will try to describe to you guys.

I have heard that every military organization prepares Sets of Battle Plans for different sorts of War Scenarios. For example they would use Plan #1 if Country A attacked them from sea. Or they would use Plan#2 if they are going to mount an invasion to Country C.

These Battle Plans for the appropiate scenario would include maps that have directions on them, showing which unit goes where and other neccessary information.

I always wanted to see what those Battle Plans looked like, espcecially either NATO or Soviet Army prepared ones. I would love to see what the strategies that the commanders thought back then.

I have found web sites that has Soviet Military Maps of all the regions in the world but they are just maps that does not include any plans.

So if you can suggest me some websites or other places that I can find these battle plans I would be very happy.

Mr tech

You might find them. But I would imagine that they would keep them secret for ever reason. What if a new cold war happens?

Just my 2 cents.

Lostfleet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot for the link Grand Danois,

It is a good start for me ( I am printing the document now to read it fully)

if you have any more links I would be glad to check them out as well,

good day!

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Thanks a lot for the link Grand Danois,

It is a good start for me ( I am printing the document now to read it fully)

if you have any more links I would be glad to check them out as well,

good day!
I knew of the PHP site, but gf made me aware of the actual doc.

Manfred2

Hey, Lostfleet- how about posting that link of yours?

The one to Sviet Military maps you mentioned at the top... fair is fair.

Lostfleet

Manfred2, since I am a Private I am allowed to post URL when I have at least 15 posts,

so if you want to find those maps I mentioned please go to google and search for jomidav and please click on the website with John Davies mentioned, there you can find some samples of Soviet military maps about England.

Also there are resources and links in there you can click on to poehali which will take you to a greater source for Soviet Military Maps.

I recommend you read some of the articles John Davies wrote about Soviet Military Mapping which is very interesting.

Lostfleet

Grand Danois thanks again for the link, this is the sort of plans I was looking for.

I can not read Danish, was there any information about the Exercise and elements it included? ( I am refering to information on the website not on the map- if you can read the map of course I will be delighted to know what it writes)

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Grand Danois thanks again for the link, this is the sort of plans I was looking for.

I can not read Danish, was there any information about the Exercise and elements it included? ( I am refering to information on the website not on the map- if you can read the map of course I will be delighted to know what it writes)
It's a Polish map hosted on a Danish website. No, Polish is not my thing. ;)

On the PHP site you can find the context of the map:

The Navy was to support the northern wing of the front attacking along the coast. The first exercises of this "teamwork between naval and land forces" were conducted in 1954. At that time, the naval forces were stronger than what was planned for mobilization. This changed in subsequent years, as less investment was made in the navy than in the other armed forces. After the Warsaw Pact was founded in 1955, cooperation was built up with the USSR's Baltic Fleet and the GDR navy. From the early 1960s on, these forces together formed the United Fleet. Its main goals were to dominate the Baltic Sea, cooperate on a landing operation on the Danish isles, and secure free access to the North Sea.

http://www.php.isn.ethz.ch/collections/coll_polex/piotrowski.cfm

From this piece:

A Landing Operation in Denmark:The Polish Military's Losses in the First Phase of a Warsaw Pact Offensive Were to Reach 50 Percent
by Paweł Piotrowski

Oct 2002
Description: This is a report on Polish war plans from 1956 to 1970. The Polish general staff planned to create a northern European maritime front within the Warsaw Pact. In case of war, the main thrust of Poland's forces was to be directed towards Jutland, the Elbe, and the German-Danish border. In the second phase of attack, the Polish forces were to advance towards the northern German plains and the Netherlands. However, the Polish Fourth Army had a different task - it was to act in combination with the pact's United Fleet to conduct a landing operation on the Danish islands and and secure access to the North Sea. Tactical nuclear strikes against enemy forces and Danish urban areas were part of the war plans.

http://www.php.isn.ethz.ch/collections/colltopic.cfm?lng=en&id=20134&navinfo=25996

It doesn't contain that many maps, but there is a lot of detailed stuff on this site, concerning both NATO and WAPA war plans (OPLANS), threat assessments, what have you; just read some of the titles:

>> 1) Imagining War in Europe
>> 2) Storming on to Paris
>> 3) War Plans from Stalin to Brezhnev
>> 4) The Warsaw Pact's Special Target
>> 5) "Is this the Best They Can Do?"
>> 6) Silent Allies and Hostile Neutrals

SO Tom Clancy. :D

Anyhow, it can be found under collections: http://www.php.isn.ethz.ch/collections/index.cfm

Last edited:

Lostfleet

I never knew about PHP site, for the past few days I am strolling through,

thanks Grand Danois, very interesting articles