Fake News

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
relevant to current times - "fake news" has now become an institutional cyber warfare tool

this thread is to cover aspects of the issues that get generated

its not to be used to generate conspiracy theories etc and those types of threads will get very short shrift from the Mods

t68

Your correct, but it's very hard for the average man on the street to distinguish from fact or fiction. The old adage throw enough mud and some of it sticks....

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Trump has also mastered repetition. Keep telling the same lie for those who want to believe. The Atlantic magazine had a interesting article on how social media has been weaponized.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trumps latest claims on terrorism in Sweden was a pearler.... my god his supporters can be dense if they swallow that one

swedes are talking about a moose ban now... :)

Bluey 006

As previously mentioned, fake news is now an accepted part of the arsenal for information elements of various militaries.

Lu Xinning, deputy editor-in-chief of the People’s Daily has suggested that Chinese and Russian media should work together to break the Western dominance in discourse, in what he describes as strategic cooperation between the two nations.

Is this a further sign that China and Russia are moving toward a formal military alliance?

Article:
People's Daily senior official urges Chinese, Russian media to work together to break dominance of Western discourse - People's Daily Online

Related
http://www.newschinamag.com/newschina/articleDetail.do?article_id=2061&section_id=25&magazine_id=

USAF77

Banned Member
Trumps latest claims on terrorism in Sweden was a pearler.... my god his supporters can be dense if they swallow that one

swedes are talking about a moose ban now... :)
Someone explain to me how taking in undocumented foreign Nationals from country's in civil war, that were sponsors of terrorism even when they were stable, is a good thing?

I dont know what he said about Sweden but I do know they have let in a demographic time bomb and the damage caused by it wont be fully accessed for many years to come. I also know its not working out to well and the world doesnt really know it cause those who control what information the world gets live in million dollar homes on Golf courses and winter in the Med.

Unlike most of you I have been to both Western Europe and the Middle East and have seen the clash in cultures, which is far worse today then it was then. And it was bad enough then.

Youve been sold a bill of goods by a Elite World Leftist Information collective that wants you to believe this vision of they're's that doesn't exist in reality no more then their life styles cross with ours, the working serfs who pay the bills and fight the war's. Dont be a useful Lemming ,at least question them. Heres an example of the average college educated American voter grasp of issues, and we can assume they bring the same brilliance to the table when asked why they dont like Trump. Link deleted, see forum rule #10 LOL, the Zebra's run where all the other zebra's are running to no questions asked.

You'd think people would have smartened up after Merkel's failure to squash the story of NYE Grope Fest 2016, "she almost pulled it off". The Obama administration had a policy of pawning off terror attacks to other motives. Heres one of my favorite zillionaire Leftist elite dingbats and his rationalizing the slaughter of unarmed cartoonists compared to the slaughter of plain old concert goers.

Secretary of State John Kerry suggested on Tuesday that there was a “rationale” for the assault on satirical French weekly Charlie Hebdo, unlike the more recent attacks in Paris.

“There’s something different about what happened from Charlie Hebdo, and I think everybody would feel that," Kerry said in Paris, according to a transcript of his remarks. "There was a sort of particularized focus and perhaps even a legitimacy in terms of — not a legitimacy, but a rationale that you could attach yourself to somehow and say, OK, they’re really angry because of this and that.”

“This Friday was absolutely indiscriminate. It wasn’t to aggrieve one particular sense of wrong. It was to terrorize people,” he continued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone explain to me how taking in undocumented foreign Nationals from country's in civil war, that were sponsors of terrorism even when they were stable, is a good thing?

I dont know what he said about Sweden but I do know they have let in a demographic time bomb and the damage caused by it wont be fully accessed for many years to come. I also know its not working out to well and the world doesnt really know it cause those who control what information the world gets live in million dollar homes on Golf courses and winter in the Med.

Unlike most of you I have been to both Western Europe and the Middle East and have seen the clash in cultures, which is far worse today then it was then. And it was bad enough then.

Youve been sold a bill of goods by a Elite World Leftist Information collective that wants you to believe this vision of they're's that doesn't exist in reality no more then their life styles cross with ours, the working serfs who pay the bills and fight the war's. Dont be a useful Lemming ,at least question them. Heres an example of the average college educated American voter grasp of issues, and we can assume they bring the same brilliance to the table when asked why they dont like Trump. https://youtu.be/m8mo_BdDCKg LOL, the Zebra's run where all the other zebra's are running to no questions asked.

You'd think people would have smartened up after Merkel's failure to squash the story of NYE Grope Fest 2016, "she almost pulled it off". The Obama administration had a policy of pawning off terror attacks to other motives. Heres one of my favorite zillionaire Leftist elite dingbats and his rationalizing the slaughter of unarmed cartoonists compared to the slaughter of plain old concert goers.
DefenceTalk is an International Defense Forum, with a membership composed for citizens from around the world, as well as the participation of current and/or former service and defense industry personnel, some of whom have also been to or served in the Mideast. Therefore, do not assume that the forum audience is either ignorant, or that they agree with you.

Further DefenceTalk is not the place to discuss either conspiracy theories, or politics, especially the partisan quagmire that is the current political landscape in the US. A number of threads have been closed specifically because of such political discussion, which invariably degraded into partisan commentary or attacks, which was and is an unacceptable decline in discussion quality. Do not attempt to engage in such discussion here again.
-Preceptor

USAF77

Banned Member
But Trump insults are ok? Most of all from Non Americans? Oh I get it, some can and some can't.

Thats the vibe I'm getting here. Mind your own business if he isn't your President.

DefenceTalk is an International Defense Forum, with a membership composed for citizens from around the world, as well as the participation of current and/or former service and defense industry personnel, some of whom have also been to or served in the Mideast. Therefore, do not assume that the forum audience is either ignorant, or that they agree with you.

Further DefenceTalk is not the place to discuss either conspiracy theories, or politics, especially the partisan quagmire that is the current political landscape in the US. A number of threads have been closed specifically because of such political discussion, which invariably degraded into partisan commentary or attacks, which was and is an unacceptable decline in discussion quality. Do not attempt to engage in such discussion here again.
-Preceptor

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
But Trump insults are ok? Most of all from Non Americans? Oh I get it, some can and some can't.

Thats the vibe I'm getting here. Mind your own business if he isn't your President.
He is meant to be the leader of the free world and wields an immense amount of power so it is only natural for people to be interested and concerned. You also need to remember there a lot of Australians and New Zealanders on here and we are pretty free with our insults, even to those we like or voted for ourselves and when we see a "Panda" (i.e. a protected species) that we are told we aren't allowed to joke about or criticise we assume they and their supporters are being precious, or perhaps even over compensating because they know something is not right and redouble our efforts.

The other factor is we have more than our own fair share of nut bags, roughly 10% of the population to the extreme left and another 10% on the extreme right who idolise Trump, Putin, Moa, Xi etc. depending on their leaning and the idiots/opportunist they vote for and inflict upon the rest of us. These extremes make extensive use of fake news, particularly on social media to try and ram their ideas down the throats of the majority. They study Trumps success at getting elected extensively and try the same techniques here, they try to divide the community into "us" and "them" and demonise the "them". They make uneducated morons think it is ok to abuse, even physically attack those who appear different to themselves, make it ok to hurt kids because of the country they were born in, or more to the point the country they appear they may have come from.

The rest of the world cares because what happens in the US, China, Russia etc. affects the entire world and we perceive that someone who has little if any regard for how their decisions are affecting us is placed in a position where they can seriously hurt our interests we get very concerned.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Don't be so precious.

Preceptor has made the point clearly. If you choose to take umbrage at it so be it, however the Forum has rules about politics that we do enforce. As Preceptor states, this is a multinational Forum and is not US centric, nor do we regard the US as the be all to end all. I would suggest that you reconsider your attitude because if you don't your time on here will be short lived.

FYI Preceptor is born and bred US and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

USAF77

Banned Member
Don't be so precious.

Preceptor has made the point clearly. If you choose to take umbrage at it so be it, however the Forum has rules about politics that we do enforce. As Preceptor states, this is a multinational Forum and is not US centric, nor do we regard the US as the be all to end all. I would suggest that you reconsider your attitude because if you don't your time on here will be short lived.

FYI Preceptor is born and bred US and doesn't suffer fools gladly.
Mind your own business about American Politics. I get it, this guy might be American but much of his business, whatever that is, is from NZ. Australia, Canada, and where ever. So he allows political anti-Trump remarks to cozy up with his boyz from down under, and up over. You fools dont even know why your saying them other then the fact all the other Lemmings are.

There you see? I'm not stupid. This idiotic forum might be an important part in your life but it means nothing to me. So no more of your silly PMs, I wont be around to read them.

Mod edit: Permanent Ban. The poster did manage to rather clearly illustrate why politics aren't an appropriate topic for discussion on DefenceTalk, as well as ignoring directions from two members of the Mod Team about that. Further, the behavior exhibited by the poster demonstrates their apparent inability to both follow the forum rules, and behave to the standard expected here.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Mind your own business about American Politics. I get it, this guy might be American but much of his business, whatever that is, is from NZ. Australia, Canada, and where ever. So he allows political anti-Trump remarks to cozy up with his boyz from down under, and up over. You fools dont even know why your saying them other then the fact all the other Lemmings are.

There you see? I'm not stupid. This idiotic forum might be an important part in your life but it means nothing to me. So no more of your silly PMs, I wont be around to read them.
Seriously?
I think you are doing a pretty good job at demonstrating the issue thinking people have, irrespective of their political leanings, with Trump and his supporters. Just because you say something doesn't make it true, the fact Trump often contradicts himself must make supporting him very stressful and confusing, you would never know what line you needed defend.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
geebuz, 5 months to get excited about my post re trump and sweden?

so many assumptions made about so many things and about so many people I just don't know where to begin....

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Where to begin....probably with a pint of your favourite brew. Interesting that Trump gave an interview with the NYT which he often critizes as a fake news outlet. In the interview he threw his attorney general under the bus and threatened to fire Mueller. Trump's circus is opening up all sorts of opportunities for Putin and his friends. There must be a lot head shaking going on amongst America's allies (and probably enemies too). Wonder what odds the bookmakers are giving on impeachment these days?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Realistically the term "Fake News" is just a new name for an old, old tool, namely propaganda.

The parts which are a bit different now are really the ways people receive/consume information (online and via social media) and the ways in which a particular message can be pushed, or pushed back against, with little or no attribution.

For whatever reason (and there have been a number of psych studies done to test this) people tend to believe whatever "news" they read about something on the internet without considering the source and/or fact-checking what they read.

This meme is both funny and illustrates the problem.

As for other stuff within the thread, can we keep politics out of it please? There are enough examples of false information being spread, or accurate information being suppressed, that does not require commentary about specific politicians. We do not want or need to attract more political trolls, or cause Preceptor to return in a green fury going "Preceptor SMASH" while wielding his ban hammer.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Where to begin....probably with a pint of your favourite brew. Interesting that Trump gave an interview with the NYT which he often critizes as a fake news outlet. In the interview he threw his attorney general under the bus and threatened to fire Mueller. Trump's circus is opening up all sorts of opportunities for Putin and his friends. There must be a lot head shaking going on amongst America's allies (and probably enemies too). Wonder what odds the bookmakers are giving on impeachment these days?
it doesn't matter if he tries to sack meuller - the committees have already said that trump tries to do so then they will employ him to do the job anyway as they can do so without POTUS intervention

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
it doesn't matter if he tries to sack meuller - the committees have already said that trump tries to do so then they will employ him to do the job anyway as they can do so without POTUS intervention
The Senate committees, yes, the House committees, no, they are much more partisan. The bigger issue is the added chaos if Trump sacks Mueller. The Trump administration is barely breathing when it comes to getting the nation's business done although Congress shares much of the blame as well. A full blown constitutional crisis will embolden America's adversaries and concern allies.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
As the article states, this proposed bill would be difficult to pass. I think the Senate threat to refuse confirmation of any new AG to replace Sessions in 2017 is Mueller's best protection. Any further negative information about this whole affair will harden Senate resolve against Trump. As for the House, who knows?

With regard to fake news in general (as others have remarked, really modern state of the art propaganda), I fear this new digital propaganda will continue to be effective against Western electorates who really don't have a clue about pretty much everything other than their immediate selves.