Which War movie is the most accurate?

GreyWolf

Which war movie do you think is has got the most accurate or realistic depiction of war/ military activities?

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Two that spring to mind are, Band of Brothers and Master and Commander. The others bend the truth a bit to much.

turin

Patriotism put aside, "Das Boot" (The Boat) surely is one of them. Perhaps the most realistic submarine-movie ever.
As for boots on the ground, I dont know for sure. My favorite is still "Apocalypse now" (the cinema-version, not Redux). Granted, its partially very surrealistic, but then I guess, War can be as well.

Michelle

Yes the movie "Das Boot" is very accurate. Band of brother was nothing more than a action film, seeing scenes where a couple of US soldiers knock out a whole company of German crack troops is unrealistic.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Patzek said:
I don't think that this movie was that accurate, when compared to Das Boot.

There is also the problem that Hollywood, turned a true event that was a major accomplishment by the Royal Navy, into an inaccurate movie about how the US Navy did it instead.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Das Boot by a golden mile. 571 is a rewrite of history and loses credibility for me. It's just not cinematically in the same league.

There is also a Finnishwar movie titled "The Winter War" about the Finns struggle against the Soviet Invasion of 1939-40 which is very good.

The amazing thing about the Finns is that they were not just attacked by a military 8-10 times their size but they fought the Russians to a standstill and eventually a truce. They truly deserve lots of respect for taking it up to the Russians and causing them to give in.

Dougie

Michelle said:
Yes the movie "Das Boot" is very accurate. Band of brother was nothing more than a action film, seeing scenes where a couple of US soldiers knock out a whole company of German crack troops is unrealistic.
I was undert the impression that Band of Brothers was based on fact?. Certainly the book Band of Brothers which is the History of E Coy, 506th talks about the same incident. My memory of the incident is that the Squads initiated the attack, but the real damage was done by American Artillery.

Das Boot, is definately for my mind the best of all time.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Stalingrad (1995)

A gritty, devastating retelling of the battle for Stalingrad during World War II, in which more than a million and a half soldiers lost their lives. Told from the point of view of the German soldiers, who were under orders to neither retreat nor surrender, this film realistically portrays the brutality of combat.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800263541

THE ENTIRE CAST DIES. :D

turin

Yes, I forgot that one. "Stalingrad" really is an awesome movie, absolutely terrifying. It shows all aspects of the life of the german soldiers, not just combat (in fact there are rather few combat action scenes) but the whole struggle for survival in Stalingrad.
Oh yeah, an equally great movie certainly is "All quiet on the Western Front". Very drastic, quite similar to "Stalingrad".

Another movie I am fond of was "The Thin Red Line", the music and the whole feeling of the movie was impressive, very strong.

Snayke

I thought Band of Brothers was based on personal experiences by soldiers in Ezy Company and actual events. And that was one part of the mini-series, taking out that German division or whatever. Don't base judgement on the whole series because of one bit.

HYPERION III

Defenately Stalingrad, that was a graet movie. I thought Thin Red Line was pretty good also, then again i wasnt there so i cant tell how accurate it was.

Lone Wolf

I think 'Black Hawk Down' was quite a good movie. 'Stalingrad', too was, extremely well directed. Also, the Indian film 'Lakshya', based on the recapture of peak 5179 during the India-Pakistan Kargil War, picturizes the life of a soldier very beautifully.
I agree with Michelle about Band Of Brothers - most of it was totally unrealistic and purely entertainment-based, and most of the scenes stray away very much from the real facts on which it is based.

armage

Snayke said:
I thought Band of Brothers was based on personal experiences by soldiers in Ezy Company and actual events. And that was one part of the mini-series, taking out that German division or whatever. Don't base judgement on the whole series because of one bit.
Yes, it's a true story based on EZ company with the 101st Airbrone Division( I actually had to read the book and watch the movie to write an essay about it) but some part of the movie are really "fake" while others seem pretty realistic... read the book, trust me it will sound ALOT better
Black Hawk Down is pretty good, although kinda boring if you watch it over again.
What about Crimsion Tide?

turin

Ah, Crimson Tide is the one movie still missing on my "seen this"-List.
Since we are talking subs, another very good movie, that comes to my mind, is "The Enemy Below". Its quite old, from 1957, but a real thriller. Its focused on dramatics and characters as much as on the action itself and I think, it hit a good balance in that regard. What I liked most is, that both sides where displayed pretty much equally concering handling of the situation and their intentions. One or two chliches maybe, but overall ahead of its time, I'd say.

Last edited:

armage

turin said:
Ah, Crimson Tide is the one movie still missing on my "seen this"-List.
Since we are talking subs, another very good movie, that comes to my mind, is "The Enemy Below". Its quite old, from 1957, but a real thriller. Its focused on dramatics and characters as much as on the action itself and I think, it hit a good balance in that regard. What I liked most is, that both sides where displayed pretty much equally concering handling of the situation and their intentions. One or two chliches maybe, but overall ahead of its time, I'd say.
well i know tom clancys Red October doesn't look much real, what do you guys think of K19 the Widowmaker? :confused:

vrus

Some scenes of 13 days show a good depiction of what it might have been getting shot down by a SAM with a U-2 on hand over Cuba might have been... :rolleyes: