Need help identifying this modified Hemtt

I'm trying hard to figure out what modified model of hemtt this is. The cylinder stack is shorter, there is the wooden bars around the cargo bed and the compartment just behind the exhaust. I am guessing a modified M978 but then it could be any model. Please help and if there are any more pics showing various sides of this vehicle I would appreciate it.

I know M978 is a tanker but I'm thinking it is a modified version, or moded. I was suggesting that maybe; just maybe. they removed the tanker from behind and replaced it with what's in the pic. But that would seem too far fetched and a little rediculous too ;) I had mention M978 because if you look closely there is a box-like compartment just behind the exhaust which I have only seen on the M978. Thanks anyway. If it's the M977, then it's a modified version because the crane is removed. The cylinderical shape stack of the left side(sorry I don't remember what it's called) is shorter and there is that Box-like compartment I mentioned before.
Anyone??? Thanks:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! A forum that's full of army,exarmy guys, and know ones knows??? Oh well... Hope someone out of the thousands here would know something about this vehicle or even a guess....

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
It is M977 or its variant, M985 Cargo... perhaps someone in US army can enlighten us?

cdrobison

Hemtt

I am not able to see the picturew that you are refering to, but here is the information that I have about the HEMTT.

The Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT), has five basic configurations of the HEMTT series trucks: M977 cargo truck with Material Handling Crane (MHC), M978 2500 gallon fuel tanker, M984 wrecker, M983 tractor and M985 cargo truck with MHC.

M977: can come with or without the crane. The standard crane for the M977 has a maximum boom Length of 19', and can lift 2,500 lbs. The curb weight of the M977 with the winch is 38,800 lbs., and without the winch it is 37,900 lbs.

M985: is a similar but slightly more robust version of the M977 HEMTT Cargo Truck. The M985 possesses a heavier load rating for the truck and its material handling crane. The M985 has a Boom length of 16.5' and can lift 5,400 lbs. The curb weight of the M985 with the winch is 39,600 lbs., and without the winch it is 38,700 lbs.

Both the M977 and M985 have a Detroit Diesel Allison engine, which is an 8 cylinder, 2-stroke, V-type Diesel that produces 450 hp, @ 2100 rpm; however, the HEMTT can only obtain a top speed 57 mph because it is governed. But, on a large hill, you might be able to get it all the way up to 65 mph... it depends on how much weight you are hauling.

From my personal experience, both vehicles are a blast to operate, and work well off road. On improved surfaces, the ride tends to be a bit bumpy. These are solid vehicles that can take a lot of abuse, as long as proper maintenance is conducted. That being said, performing maintenance on a HEMTT is horrible. dust, dirt and grime can find its way into almost imaginable place on these vehicles, and something as simple as chancing a tire can quickly become a difficult task.

On one occasion, a good friend and I were in route from U.S. Army Garrison Grafenwoehr, where our battalion had just completed gunnery qualifications. A tire blow-out caused a major problem for us because our HEMTT was fitted with unidirectional tires, and unfortunately for us, the spare tire on the vehicle was not compatible with the HEMTT's other tires. The end result saw us wait on the side of the Autobahn for several hours waiting for a proper tire to be brought to us. In the end, all was well, and we made it back to our garrison... just about six hours behind the rest of the convoy, which we were a part of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for all this wonderful info. I do appreciate it. Sorry for the lost of the pic. I had to redo all my pics in my photobucket gallery due to some issues. So all the links are now messed up. Anyway here is the pic I think I was referring to:

and this one:

Last edited: