MCAS Miramar Air Show Review & Gallery Open

Scott

Photographer/Contributor
Verified Defense Pro
Attended Friday & Saturday shows & took over 4,000 photos. Reject rate looks like about 2-3%, but lots of duplication & it's going take some time to sort, select, resize & post. It took over 2 hours to upload all the photos from CF cards to computer. Edwards AFB Open House & Air Show in 2 weeks and Aviation Nation is in 6 weeks, so not much spare time available.

As always, this is/was a premier west coast air show. The Miramar Marines do a superb job. Blue Angels, Snowbirds, Viper West, Harrier, MAGTF & Golden Knights demos plus Warbirds, Patriots & other civillian demos. Extensive & excellent assortment of static displays, including an M142 HIMARS. Not a single Osprey in sight, so those squadrons must be deployed. I finally took the opportunity to climb up to the flight deck of a C-5. Never gave it any thought, so crew quarters came as something of a surprise.

My first time seeing the Snowbirds/Moose Jaw 9 (asked #7 Pilot & he didn't find that description offensive - my intent is to be witty or glib, not offensive). I was impressed with their formation flying, but not so much with the soloists. That may be a reflection on the Tutor not being a very high powered aircraft. The Snowbirds Team Announcer said that all 11 (includes 2 spares) aircraft combined, produce less thrust that an F-18 (and no, I didn't fact check him). The #1 plane had a bird strike on Saturday. Not an engine hit, but he landed & switched planes. That delayed their show and they weren't able to do their entire routine. Nobody hurt & they didn't make an announcement, so not sure if there was any damage to the aircraft.

The twilight show also featured one of the final Fat Albert JATO take-offs. We were told the Blue Angels would be using the last bottles at their homecoming and final shows of the season at Pensacola. I took video of it, so that will take more time to review & isolate some frames

Posted about a dozen photos to start - give me some time & that should grow to 200 or so.

Gallery link is MCAS Miramar 2009 - Military Pictures - Air Force Army Navy Missiles Defense

My favorite photo so far is US Navy Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Team - Military Pictures - Air Force Army Navy Missiles Defense
The thumbnail doesn't do it justice - so hope you'll check it out. The solo pilot jets down the runway a few feet off the ground building speed and then yanks the throttle back, kicking up a cloud of dust & even pulling some vapor.