KJ-2000 AWACS and Y-8 Balance Beam

Number1azn365

So in the past few 1-2 Years China has been test flying a "home made KJ-2000 AWACS..... After the Phalcon deal was terminated due to American opposition, China built its own AWACS. Im thinking the Isreali's had something to do with the KJ-2000... Anyone agree?

KJ-2000

New Y-8 Balance Beam

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Number1azn365 said:
So in the past few 1-2 Years China has been test flying a "home made KJ-2000 AWACS..... After the Phalcon deal was terminated due to American opposition, China built its own AWACS. Im thinking the Isreali's had something to do with the KJ-2000... Anyone agree?
Disagree. Israels interest is in digital arrays. It's the Swedes and the Brazilians who make beam radars.

I would be guessing that it's legacy lies in Swedish concepts.

doggychow14

Disagree. Israels interest is in digital arrays. It's the Swedes and the Brazilians who make beam radars.

he's talking about the kj-2000 not the y-8 balance beam.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
doggychow14 said:
he's talking about the kj-2000 not the y-8 balance beam.
Yeah, my bad, I just realised it.

On the 2000 there are some unsubstantiated opinions:

the original dome was an analogue, we know that because in an earlier series of available shots with the aircraft landing, the dome is in different positions on the approaches - hence it's rotating.

later models are believed to be using the dome but fixed - there are believed to be 3 different ESA's mounted inside (based on whats known of the Russian Il-76 AWACs sets, and based on work the Israelis have done on in the past.

One of the very early iterations of the platform does also show a Star of David Roundel that has been washed out, but is plainly visible. I did have an enhanced image of that aircraft in my archives but can't find it.

So there are at least 3 mules using different systems.

Then there is the fixed ground station which has a fixed radome as well - indicating that it is also an ESA solution. The aircraft rotate out of this location indicating that there might be handoff tests in progress between the GCI adaptation and the aircraft.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Little off the topic here but I have a question. What kind of advantages does electronically scanned arrays radars have over the conventional pulse dopplar radars? I know that ESAs removed the part of radar that mechanically rotating part and hence the radar becomes easier to maintain, but what other advantages does it carry? As you might have thought, I didn't do too well in my electronic and physics class when I was in highschool few years ago.

agent-0011

the first photo and the last are photoshop products. Look at the landing gears and wheels in detail.you''ll see what i mean

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
agent-0011 said:
the first photo and the last are photoshop products. Look at the landing gears and wheels in detail.you''ll see what i mean
Lets not turn this thread into another PS vs. Non-PS battles like in the Naval section (Chinese FAC thread).

Little off the topic here but I have a question. What kind of advantages does electronically scanned arrays radars have over the conventional pulse dopplar radars? I know that ESAs removed the part of radar that mechanically rotating part and hence the radar becomes easier to maintain, but what other advantages does it carry? As you might have thought, I didn't do too well in my electronic and physics class when I was in highschool few years ago.
Yeah I need a lesson too. :D

armage

gf0012-aust said:

What's the difference between digital arrays and beam radars? :confused:
Or what is a digital array and beam radars? :confused:

agent-0011

P.A.F said:
they look fine to me....:confused:
on the first picture it looks like a guy drew wheels on a picture of a il-76 with whells retracted. ( i don't know why though) A il-76's rare landing gears consists of 8 sets of 4 wheels(on each axel) not 4 sets of 4 wheels like the one on the picture.

the landing gears on a il-76 do no look like that when extanded, look at other pictures of Il-76s landing then you'll see.

Last edited:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
agent-0011 said:
on the first picture it looks like a guy drew wheels on a picture of a il-76 with whells retracted. ( i don't know why though) A il-76's rare landing gears consists of 8 sets of 4 wheels(on each axel) not 4 sets of 4 wheels like the one on the picture.

the landing gears on a il-76 do no look like that when extanded, look at other pictures of Il-76s landing then you'll see.
The IL-76's rear landing gear does indeed have 4 sets of 4 wheels each...EXACTLY like the first picture. Here are a couple of more pictures for you:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/805970/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/805276/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/801135/L/

Number1azn365

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So as of right now we are aware of at least 2 balance beam prototype? Looks like there working fast;)

Number1azn365

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More pictures of B-Beam

^Notice the second High Beam that to the far right with the blueish paint scheme :)