Iran has AEW&CS/AWACS !!!

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

Seems like A-50 on IL-76, with a missing engine on the right wing.

Big-E

Banned Member
What are they going to use an AWACs for? To lead the sheep to the slaughter? Theres no point in having them if you don't have the force to do something with it.:roll

orko_8

It must be Adnan-1, the Iraqi AWACS aircraft based on Il-76 with electronics supplied from France before 1991. During Gulf War along with numerous other combat aircraft, Adnan-1 fled to Iran to avoid destruction. Iran kept those aircraft as compensation for 1980 - 1988 Iran-Iraq war. Most of them are being used (such as ~20 Mirage F.1's), but servicability of Adnan-1 is relatively questionnable.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
orko_8 said:
It must be Adnan-1, the Iraqi AWACS aircraft based on Il-76 with electronics supplied from France before 1991. During Gulf War along with numerous other combat aircraft, Adnan-1 fled to Iran to avoid destruction. Iran kept those aircraft as compensation for 1980 - 1988 Iran-Iraq war. Most of them are being used (such as ~20 Mirage F.1's), but servicability of Adnan-1 is relatively questionnable.
Good catch! Thx for that. I completely forgot about the "fright flight" option.

Markus40

Can anyone give me anymore information about the capability of the Iranian Airforce post 1988 Iran-Iraq war.?

Markus40

As to the speculative comments above on the "Iranian Adnan-1" photo i have found information to suggest the opposite.

Iranian AEW

Google Earth observers spotted an Iranian AEW at the Shiraz airbase, which mainly houses transport aircraft. This aircraft is believed to be a fled Iraqi example, two converted IL76 with radardomes fled in 1991, this is not the ADNAN 1 of the Iraqi air force. This page gives an overview of what can be found on Iranian Airbases.

This aircraft is however disabled since it is missing an engine on its right hand side wing, although I don't doubt that Iran is incapable of repairing it and getting it airborne again with some help (Russia or China, its own industry probably has the ability to re-engine it).

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Markus40 said:
Can anyone give me anymore information about the capability of the Iranian Airforce post 1988 Iran-Iraq war.?
The Islamic Republic of Iran Air force (IRIAF) has following aircrafts in its inventory (the number of units per aircraft is speculative):

COMBAT FIGHTERS

• IN SERVICE:
  • F-14 Tomcat
Contractor = Northrop Grumman, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran
No. of Units purchased = 80 (by Shah of Iran for IIAF)
No. of Units in service = 35 (some reports suggest only 20 are operational)

• F-4 Phantom-II
Contractor = McDonald Douglas, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran
No. of units purchase = 200+
No. of units in service = 70+

• F-5 Tiger II
Contractor = Northrop Grumman
Buyer = IIAF, Iran
No. of units purchase = 170 to 180 (by Shah of Iran for IIAF)
No. of units in service = 75 to 80

• Mirage F-1

(Ex-IQAF/Iraqi fighters)

Contractor = Dassault, France
Buyer = IQAF, Iraq
No. of units purchased [by Iraq] = N/A
No. of units in service [in IRIAF, Iran] = 19 to 21

• MiG-29 Fulcrum
(Some Ex-IQAF/Iraqi Fighters)

Contractor = Mikoyan, USSR/Russia
Buyer 1 = IQAF, Iraq
Buyer2 = IRIAF, Iran
No. of Iraq units = 4 [claimed by Iraq]
No. of units in service [with IRIAF, Iran] = 35 (Some reports suggest 75, out of which 35 are actually Iraqi)

• Su-24
    (Ex-IQAF/Iraqi fighter)
Contractor = Sukhoi, USSR/Russia
Buyer = IQAF, Iraq
No. of ex-Iraq units = 24
No. of units in service [with IRIAF, Iran] = 24

• Su-25
    (Some Ex-IQAF/Iraqi fighter)
Buyer 1 = IQAF, Iraq
Buyer 2 = IRIAF, Iran
No. of Iraq units = 7
No of units purchased by Iran = 10
No. of units in service= 17

• F-7 Sky bolt
Contractor = CAC, China
Buyer = IRIAF, Iran
No. of units purchased = N/A
No. of units in service = N/A

• COMBAT AIRCRAFTS BOUGHT BY IRIAF BUT MAY OR MAY NO LONGER BE IN SERVICE:
  • Shenyang F-6/MiG-19 Farmer (Used for training)
Contractor = SAC, China
Buyer = IRIAF, Iran
No. of units purchased = 2

• Su-20
(Ex-IQAF/Iraqi Fighter)

Buyer = IQAF, Iraq
No. of ex-Iraq units = 4
No. of units in service [with IRIAF, Iran] = N/A

• Su-22
(Ex-IQAF/Iraqi Fighter)

Buyer = IQAF, Iraq
No. of ex-Iraq units = 40 [claimed by Iraqi officials]
No. of units in service [with IRIAF, Iran] = N/A

• MiG-23
(Ex-IQAF/Iraqi fighter)

Contractor = Mikoyan, USSR/Russia
Buyer = IQAF, Iraq
No. of ex-Iraqi units = N/A
No. of units in service [with IRIAF, Iran] = 9

• IRANIAN COMBAT AIRCRAFT PROJECTS UNDER DEVELOPMENT:
  1. Shafaq = Single Prototype
  2. Azarakhsh = single Prototype
  3. Saeqeh = Single Prototype

NON COMBAT AIRCRAFTS
  • IN SERVICE:
  • Pilatus PC-7 (Trainer):
Contractor = Pilatus Aircrafts, Switzerland
Buyer = IRIAF, Iran
No. of units purchased = 35
No. of units in service = 35

• C-130 (Cargo)
Contractor = Lockheed-Martin, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran
No. of units purchased = N/A

• IL-76 (Cargo)
(Ex-IQAF/Iraqi aircraft)

Contractor = USSR/Russia & Uzbekistan
Buyer = Iraq
No. of Iraqi units = 15
No. of units in service with IRIAF, Iran = N/A

• Boeing 707 (Tanker)
Contractor = Boeing, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran
No. of units purchase = N/A

• Boeing 727 (Cargo/Transport)
Contractor = Boeing, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran

• Boeing 747 (Transport)
Contractor = Boeing, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran

• Antonov An-74T-200
Contractor = ?

Buyer = IIAF, Iran

• NON COMBAT AIRCRAFT BOUGHT BY IIAF/IRIAF BUT MAY OR MAY NO LONGER BE IN SERVICE:

• Commander 690
  • Fokker F-27
  • Dassault Falcon 20
  • Lockheed Jet Star
AWACS & OTHER AEW&C Systems
  1. Adnan-1 = 2 units
  2. A-50 = Existence Speculated
  1. P3C Orion:
Contractor = Lockheed-Martin, USA
Buyer = IIAF, Iran

• Ground Based Early Warning & Radar System:
The existing Ground based Early Warning & Radar system was jointly established under CENTO member (Pakistan, Turkey, Iran & Iraq - USA as observer) in 1950s, with the help of USA. It was last upgraded in 1970s by Iran according to a report. While very little of this system is used by Pakistan & Turkey now days.

contedicavour

8 different types of front line fighters, most without any appropriate maintenance either because American built or because inherited from the fleeing Iraqi Air Force ...
If we consider the best air-to-air missiles on the American built planes must be old semi-active radar Sparrows AIM-7 ... the only decent air superiority fighters around in Iran are the Fulcrums (btw do we know if they use AA10 or the AA12 ?)
It's strange the Russians haven't sold some SU27/30 to Iran ...

cheers

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
contedicavour said:
8 different types of front line fighters, most without any appropriate maintenance either because American built or because inherited from the fleeing Iraqi Air Force ...
If we consider the best air-to-air missiles on the American built planes must be old semi-active radar Sparrows AIM-7 ... the only decent air superiority fighters around in Iran are the Fulcrums (btw do we know if they use AA10 or the AA12 ?)
It's strange the Russians haven't sold some SU27/30 to Iran ...

cheers
Not much information is available on air-to-air & air-to-ground weapons that are in the IRIAF's inventory. It is also unknown whether their MiG-29s are BVR capable or not (But they are suppose to be upgraded to SMT level by Russia this year).

Note: Many sites are claiming that IRIAF, Iran has filled an order for atleast "40" FC-1/JF-17 thunders, along with BVR missiles (although missile not named but its SD-10 for sure). But there has been no confirmation by either CAC/China or PAC/Pakistan, infact there even have been no roumers in news papers or other media sources regarding the deal.

Markus40

Seems to me that the IAF is still a formidable force. Despite its lack of spares and operational aircraft.

SABRE said:
Not much information is available on air-to-air & air-to-ground weapons that are in the IRIAF's inventory. It is also unknown whether their MiG-29s are BVR capable or not (But they are suppose to be upgraded to SMT level by Russia this year).

Note: Many sites are claiming that IRIAF, Iran has filled an order for atleast "40" FC-1/JF-17 thunders, along with BVR missiles (although missile not named but its SD-10 for sure). But there has been no confirmation by either CAC/China or PAC/Pakistan, infact there even have been no roumers in news papers or other media sources regarding the deal.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Markus40 said:
Seems to me that the IAF is still a formidable force. Despite its lack of spares and operational aircraft.

1st, its not IAF. IAF = Indian Airforce. The Iranian Airforce is IRIAF [Islamic Republic Iran Airforce], formerly known as IIAF [Imperial Iran Airforce]

2nd I dont know what made you say IRIAF is formidable. They have quite a number in terms of varients, but in terms of quantity they are falling down almost annually. Plus the quality is almost dead.

F-14s, F-5, F-4 need replacement quickly

Mirage F-1 are almost untouched in terms of upgrade. & they probably are not even flying it. Plus they need replacement as well.

The only capable aircrafts in inventory, probably, are;

1. MiG-29 Fulcrum [Multirole]
2. Su-25 [Ground attack]

& as far as I know these two are the only aircrafts attention from Iran now days. Some how Su-25 was the only aircraft to make an appearance in recent Iranian war games.

Markus40

Ohh i See. Well it could be mistaken for Israeli Air Force. (IAF) too?? Haha i think you know what i meant without crossing the Ts and dotting the is. Just relax Mr Sabre. You seem to be a well informed person, and i am curious as to where you get your information from. No impartiality intended.

If the numbers of aircraft you have stated are correct despite the number or vairants, and a war did break out over the bombing of the Nuclear bases in Iran, i think the US Navy could be very vulnerable to attack from such large numbers of aircraft, in a very confined area like the persian gulf. The US Navy is extremely capable, but unfortunatly vulnerable. I think this is the point i wanted to make.

SABRE said:
1st, its not IAF. IAF = Indian Airforce. The Iranian Airforce is IRIAF [Islamic Republic Iran Airforce], formerly known as IIAF [Imperial Iran Airforce]

2nd I dont know what made you say IRIAF is formidable. They have quite a number in terms of varients, but in terms of quantity they are falling down almost annually. Plus the quality is almost dead.

F-14s, F-5, F-4 need replacement quickly

Mirage F-1 are almost untouched in terms of upgrade. & they probably are not even flying it. Plus they need replacement as well.

The only capable aircrafts in inventory, probably, are;

1. MiG-29 Fulcrum [Multirole]
2. Su-25 [Ground attack]

& as far as I know these two are the only aircrafts attention from Iran now days. Some how Su-25 was the only aircraft to make an appearance in recent Iranian war games.

abramsteve

Markus40 said:
If the numbers of aircraft you have stated are correct despite the number or vairants, and a war did break out over the bombing of the Nuclear bases in Iran, i think the US Navy could be very vulnerable to attack from such large numbers of aircraft, in a very confined area like the persian gulf. The US Navy is extremely capable, but unfortunatly vulnerable. I think this is the point i wanted to make.
I dont know mate, to me the (IRIAF,IAF whatever) seems on paper to be less capable the the Iraqi airforce in 90-91, and we know what happend to them... :)

contedicavour

SABRE said:

Thanks a lot for the detailed information.
An upgrade of the Fulcrums to SMT standard is the best solution for IRIAF, though I guess the current tensions over Iran's nuclear programmes may slow down the upgrade.
I've read on sinodefence the characteristics of the FC-1/JF17, a good replacement for MIG-21s/F-7s with BVR and LGB capability. A good bird indeed, though I doubt it would be comparable to a Mig-29SMT or SU-30MKK in the air defence role that IRIAF is most likely to need in case of conflict with the US.

cheers

contedicavour

abramsteve said:
I dont know mate, to me the (IRIAF,IAF whatever) seems on paper to be less capable the the Iraqi airforce in 90-91, and we know what happend to them... :)
Fully agree with you, IRIAF doesn't stand a chance with its motley collection of obsolescent fighters and earlier versions of the Fulcrum.

cheers

Xerxesa

IRIAF pictures

hello,

i am a new user, regarding IRIAF

here are some nice pictures for the inventory; the number of Mig-29 is not 75 planes but rather 50 of which four were former Iraqi Mig-29

[Linking to External Forums not allowed.]

Please upload the pictures here:
http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/showgallery.php/cat/4697

there are some really nice pictures on the last pages; there first pages are the pictures from the 80s

Last edited by a moderator:

contedicavour

Nice pictures. The comments on that forum are hard to believe though : local production of AIM54 missiles ?? 3/4 of spare parts of a Tomcat locally produced ? Hmm. I remain sceptical. Otherwise why would only 20 or so Tomcats remain operational ?

cheers

Xerxesa

yes, my understading is that something like 25 Tomcat remain flyable. I do not think that they reverse-engineer the Phoenix, but I know that they have modified the HAWK-missile for air launch as shown in several pictures.

you know its like any other forum, over there where I am member, you have die hard iranian fans that sometimes overrate the reverse-engineer aspects. but usually they know what they talk about it.

here is some pictures of Iranian modified F-5 fighter

[Links to external forums not allowed, sorry.]

scroll down, you can see them adding a v-type tail like F/A-18 to the F-5 and change the airframe somewhat

Last edited:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Folks, in order to control spam, etc. we do not allow linking to external forums and bulletin boards other than in very rare cases.

We've had problems people posting spams (links to their forums) in threads, posts and Personal Messages.

Thanks!