Flight Test Nation 2009 Review & Gallery Open

Scott

Photographer/Contributor
Verified Defense Pro
Following an extended hiatus after the October 2006 show, Edwards AFB hosted Flight Test Nation 2009 Air Show and Open House this weekend. The show was put together on short notice, only having been announced in May after funding was finalized. Regardless, the staff put together an excellent program - it was a great show.

In keeping with Edwards' rich history of aviation testing and record setting flights, legendary test pilots Chuck Yeager & Joe Engle opened the show from the back seats of a pair of F-16 Vipers breaking the sound barrier at an altitude around 35,000 feet. On the ground, the double sonic boom resonated like ordnance explosions but didn't break any glass.

Edwards unique situation as test facility for the US military, NASA, and several military contractors lead to a wealth of static displays including the first air show appearance of a flight worthy F-35A Joint Strike fighter. A mock-up that has been trucked to numerous shows is very realistic and the test aircraft are on display at the Naval Air Museum & Smithsonian/Udvar Hazy Museum, but barring severe mishap, this aircraft will be put into service.

USAF F-35 Model AA1 was showcased in a hangar along with the US Navy X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System and several other aircraft including the Boeing Phantom Works X-48B. The latter was something of a surprise to me as in my limited reading it hadn't registered me that it was the size of a large RC aircraft. When the photos are posted, note the cones to gain perspective.

Other static aircraft included a SR-71, NF-15B with canards, NF-16 laminar flow testbed, NF-18, White Knight and a host of others. Current aircraft in flight included B-1, B-2, B-52, F-22, F-16, A-10, T-38, C-17, C-130 and White Knight II. Warbirds in flight included B-17, B-25, P-38, P-51, SNJ and Tora, Tora Tora. Golden Knights parachute team also performed. Unfortunately, the Global Hawk flight was scrubbed, but that was only a minor detraction from an excellent show.

I was fortunate enough to get to take some photos from the catwalk on the tower Saturday afternoon. Lots of photos to sort through, crop, resize & post. Only 8 photos posted as of this writing, but expect a lot more to be added in coming weeks. Link for gallery is:
Flight Test Nation 2009 - Military Pictures - Air Force Army Navy Missiles Defense

Last edited: