ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member

Welcome to the Lion City, Singapore!

The Singapore Army is honoured to host the 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet and the 10th ASEAN Chiefs of Army Multilateral Meeting. Your presence and participation in Singapore signifies a strong commitment to the unity, friendship and interaction amongst ASEAN countries. It is our hope that through this friendly competition, we are able to further the AARM aim of fostering greater understanding and facilitating harmonious co-operation.

Although AARM is a shooting competition, amidst the rivalries, it presents an excellent opportunity for friendly interaction and exchanges. As host, we hope to be able to organise the competition efficiently, accommodate all participants comfortably and create a conducive atmosphere for developing friendships. The organising committee will do its best to ensure that the "Singapore Experience" is a memorable one for all.

I urge all participants to enjoy the activities of AARM 2009. Besides demonstrating one's marksmanship skills, do make use of this opportunity to get acquainted with the other shooters of different cultural backgrounds and build everlasting friendships with them.

Once again, welcome to Singapore and I wish everyone a pleasant and memorable stay.

COL LEE YONG HENG
Chairman, AARM 2009

ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM) was first established in 1991 under the recommendat -ion of the Malaysian Chief of Army at that time. In 2000, it was decided that since all the ASEAN Armies Chiefs are together for the AARM closing ceremony, all the ASEAN Chiefs of Armies will be invited to participate in a multilateral meeting to discuss regional military and security issues. It is the first forum of its kind and it is known as the ASEAN Chiefs of Armies Multilateral Meeting or ACAMM.

For more details see the AARRM website and a message from each and every Chief of Army in ASEAN. The 19th AARM officially commenced with a flag raising ceremony on 6 Oct 2009 and the closing ceremony will be held on 20 OCT 2009. Therefore the event is still ongoing and more pixs from the AARRM are to follow below.

The quality of pictures released is poor but the idea of the ASEAN region working to build trust, through confidence building measures (CBMs) is good. Considering that we used to be in armed conflict with each other and that there are some border skirmishes, these CBMs are highly necessary.

Note: For goodness sake, they should at least work on the colour balance and make sure that the pix posted are not washed out. There is no pride in the work product. Singapore's MINDEF and the organising committee can do a much better job at putting up a 'good product' on the web, since we are hosting the AARM.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Malaysia

First and foremost, I would like to extend my warmest greetings to all ASEAN Chief of Armies, especially to the Chief of Army Singapore, as the host of the 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM) 2009 and to all competitors.

Over the years, the degree of inter-dependency between nations in this region has increased many folds. The diversity of our armies could be harmonised with mutual understanding and multilateral activities, such as this meet. Multilateral activities amongst armies in this region would act as confidence building measures for peace and stability of the region. It also inculcates stronger cooperation and relationship between ASEAN armies.

AARM is a platform for officers and men of the ASEAN Armies to exchange knowledge and skills. It is not just a competition but an avenue to further enhance the spirit of comradeship, mutual respect as well as strengthening military cooperation among the ASEAN Armies.

It is my hope that all competitors will participate professionally, while at the same time display the highest military standard. More importantly, it would gain renewed camaraderie and fond memories. Finally, I wish a successful conclusion of the meet and to all competitors SELAMAT BERTANDING.

Thank you.

TAN SRI MUHAMMAD ISMAIL BIN HJ
JAMALUDDIN
General
Chief of Army
Malaysia Armed Forces

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indonesia

By sending up prayers to the Almighty God, I warmly welcome the 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet competition 2009 conducted in Singapore. Through this good event, may I take this opportunity to express my warmest congratulations to all participants who are selected to represent the Indonesian National Army in the 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet competition 2009.

I hope this activities can be useful as an instrument for the ASEAN Armies soldiers to asses the professionalism, and in particular the capability and the skills for shooting as a basic capability for a soldiers.

In addition, such event like this can be made use for building and strengthening the relationship inter ASEAN Armies personal to know each other and exchange knowledge and experience, especially in military field and hopefully it can improve mutual understanding and respect each other.

Consequently, the ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet would have a strategic value that can be used for building, maintaining and improving the cooperation among ASEAN Armies.

Finally, I request all participants to up hold sportivity and friendly spirit in competing, to reach your prestige in this match.

Have a good competition

May the Almighty God give us his guidance in continuing our duties and dedication as proud soldiers for nation and state.

Thank you.

GENERAL AGUSTADI SASONGKO PURNOMO
Chief of Staff
The Indonesian National Army

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vietnam

In line with the regional trend, interactions between the armies of ASEAN countries have been increasing in recent years. In this regard, I am particularly happy to note that the ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet has become a fine tradition allowing the building of friendship amongst its participants.

The Meet not only allows the best shooters from the various armies to meet and compete; it is also an opportunity to promote solidarity, friendship, mutual trust and understanding. On behalf of the Vietnam People's Army, I would like to wish the AARM 2009 and its participants all the best for a very successful Meet.

LG PHAM HUNG LOI
Deputy Chief-of-General Staff
Vietnam People's Army

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philippines

Every year, the participation in ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM) has significantly become part of every member-country’s annual activities. Aside from showcasing our competence in handling our respective Army’s service weapons, our ties as countries bound by common goals and aspirations of attaining regional peace, stability and lasting relationship.

At the outset of the 19th edition of this annual friendly shooting contest, let me convey on behalf of my country and the Philippine Army our sincerest felicitation to the ASEAN Chiefs of Armies, The participants as well as this year's expect a very competitive but truly memorable time in Singapore. The things we are going to learn and experiences we will be going through will indeed be valuable for us individually and as a nation who shares common cultures, practices and traditions as well.

Therefore urge all the participants to take this opportunity to renew our commitments to ideal that ASEAN stands for. Let us rekindle the friendships and camaraderie we have established through the years and continue inspiring each other to be the best competitors and professional soldiers mandated to make our respective nations bastions of regional peace, prosperity and cooperation. Whoever may be standing on the podium at the end of the competition, surely we will all still be coming out as winners.

To all participants, I wish you good luck. Keep up the high standards and may you all be able to give your best shots in this year's competition. May God bless us all.

DELFIN N BANGIT
Lieutenant General AFP
Philippine Army

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brunei

All praises to the Most Compassionate and Most Merciful Allah.

Firstly, on behalf of The Royal Brunei Land Forces and the Royal Brunei Armed Forces, I extend my arms in welcoming all ASEAN nations to another ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM), a platform of friendly strife. It not only promotes the enhanced skill of shooting, but it also encourages a sense of comradely, trust, respect, equality, closer cooperation and mutual understanding. This AARM will help to continue to foster a better multilateral relationship amongst the participating nations.

On this auspicious occasion, we, The Royal Brunei Land Forces, would express our utmost gratitude and thanks towards the Singapore Armed Forces for their dedication, hard work, and time to organize this year’s AARM. The Royal Brunei Land Forces is also honored to participate in the AARM. I am confident that this year’s event will strengthen the existing solidarity and friendship of ASEAN Armies.

Finally, may we all be blessed with God’s mercy to ensure a fair, professional and fruitful AARM and may all the participants grow in skill, character and develop a stronger bond with each individual from different nations. Once again, The Royal Brunei Land Forces conveys our gratitude for the Singapore Army for ensuring a successful AARM.

BRIGADIER GENERAL HAJI AMINUDDIN IHSAN
BIN PEHIN ORANG KAYA SAIFUL MULOK
DATO SERI PADUKA HAJI ABIDIN
Commander of the Royal Brunei Land Forces

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Myanmar

Excellencies,

Esteemed Chiefs of Armed Forces and Contesting Servicemen,

First of all, I would like to welcome the successful convention of ASEAN ARMIES RIFLE MEET (AARM-2009) annually for 19th times and honored to have the chance to convey message of greetings to Chiefs of ASEAN Armed Forces and Contesting Servicemen on behalf of Myanmar Armed Forces.

Moreover, I would like to express sincere thanks to the leaders of Singapore Army and the people of Singapore for the successfully hosting the AARM for the third time. Especially for successfully organizing this event out of so many challenges, without interrupting the tradition.

We believe that AARM stands as an instrument that enhances the activities of Confidence Building, which is needed for the implementation of ASEAN Political and Security Community. I am confident that not only friendship, servicemen from various contesting Countries but also unity and amity among ASEAN Armed Forces, as there have been improvements of informal exchange in the fields of shooting competition, training and information.

The shooting team of Myanmar Armed Forces has been participating since 2000 and this is the 10th time of our participation. I am glad that every year, brothers from various ASEAN Armies converge together. I would like to emphasize that the shooting team of Myanmar Armed Forces will honorably compete in the AARM which is filled with benevolence objective, of which will be beneficial in the implementation of ASEAN's aims and purposes.

While serving the interest of the nation and its people as top priority, the Myanmar Armed Forces along with the people, not only safeguard the nation together with the people but also striving towards in establishing a peaceful and developed nation.

In conclusion, I wish to convey my best wishes to all Chiefs of ASEAN Armies and Servicemen;

* For their good health and well-being;
* For further enhancement of Peace and Stability in the ASEAN Region;
* Mutual beneficial cooperation and prosperity in all ASEAN Countries.

Thank you.

His Excellency
VICE-SENIOR GENERAL MAUNG AYE
Myanmar Armed Forces

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thailand

I am honored to join the nineteenth ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet with the opportunity to visit a very vibrant and dynamic country such as Singapore.

This year's event offers the opportunity for all ASEAN Armies to collectively contribute to the activities with pride and honor, which will further strengthen the close and continuous cooperation among our Armies. Moreover, this event provides the opportunity for men and women in all participating teams to develop their marksmanship skills as well as to display their professionalism.

The Royal Thai Army perceives the ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet as a major event that brings all ASEAN Armies together to participate and integrate officially and socially, not only for the shooting teams, but also for the staff and high ranking officers. Concurrently, each nation's culture will be widely shared, reconized and enjoyed throughout this exercise.

I especially appreciate the great efforts by the Singapore Army in hosting this event. I would also like to extend my best wishes to all ASEAN Armies and their participants in this memorable experience.

GENERAL ANUPONG PAOJINDA
Commander-in-Chief, Royal Thai Army

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Singapore

Warmest greetings and welcome to Singapore!

The Singapore Army is once again honoured to host the ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM) 2009. Amidst the spirit of friendly competition, AARM has served to forge closer ties between all the ASEAN Armies, making the AARM motto of 'COMRADES IN AARM' just as important today as it was when it was first envisioned.

Over the years, AARM has not only seen the rise in professional marksmanship skills, but also increased the professional and personal ties between countries. Our continued commitment to events like this will help nurture ties that will not only strengthen inter-army relationships but also pave the way towards greater peace and stability in the ASEAN region.

As the host of this prestigious event, we will strive to do our best to deliver a smooth, enjoyable and challenging competition. And while you are here, we extend our hospitality and hope your stay in Singapore will be a pleasant and memorable experience.

On behalf of the Singapore Armed Forces, I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to all the participating countries and wish all the participants all the best for AARM 2009.

Thank you.

MG NEO KIAN HONG
Chief of Army
Singapore Armed Forces

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laos

As the Chief of General Staff Department, Ministry of National Defence, the Lao People's Army, I wish to extend my warmest greetings to all ASEAN Chiefs of Armies, in particular the Singapore Armed Forces as the host and the competitors of the 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (AARM XIX) in the beautiful City of the Republic of Singapore.

May I take this opportunity to express my thanks and deep appreciation to the Singapore Armed Forces, Ministry of Defence as well as the concerned authorities for the warm welcome and generous hospitality extended to the delegation and shooting contingents of the Lao People's Army during their time in Singapore.

I do believe that under the active and able chairman of Chief of Army of Singapore, the AARM XIX and the ACAMM XIX / 2009 will carry on to accomplish with good outcomes, and to be main aspects for promoting the friendship, solodarity and the mutual understanding among the commanders of ASEAN Armies.

On behalf of the Lao People's Army, I finally would like to convey the best wishes to leaders of Singapore Armed Forces, Organizing Committee as well as all participants's good health and fruitful successes in this important mission.

With my warmest regards,

BG SANYAHAK PHOMVIHANE
Chief, General Staff Department
Lao People's Army

Team Laos having supper at a Singapore army cookhouse

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cambodia

On behalf of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) and the name of Army, I would like to extend my profound gratitude and congratulations to the Singapore Armed Forces which is hosting and organizing 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet 2009 (AARM 09) and the 10th ASEAN Chiefs of Army Multilateral Meeting (ACAMM-X). This is the second time that our Army, RCAF Higher Delegations and Shooting Contingent have the great honored to participate in the auspicious annual events in the Lion city of Singapore.

The objective of the events are not only to upgrade capability and marksmanship but friendship, solidarity, understanding, cooperation, exchange experience and to strengthen closer relations among our ASEAN ARMIES.

Many thanks to the both organizing and organizing committee of Singapore Armed Forces for ensuring a successful like to extend my profound gratitude and congratulations to the Singapore Armed Forces which is hosting and organizing 19th ASEAN Armies Rifle Meet (19th AARM) and 10th ASEAN Chiefs of Army Multilateral Meeting (ACAMM-X).

I wish to the Singapore Armed Forces, Organizing Committee and Participants all the best and great success in these events.

GENERAL MEAS SOPHEA
Deputy Commander-In-Chief, RCAF
Commander of Army
Royal Cambodia Armed Forces

Team Cambodia settling into a typical Singapore army barrack.

It's good to see the Thai army and Cambodian army at the same event and not shooting at each other (in April 2009, Thai and Cambodian troops exchanged fire near the ancient Preah Vihear temple).

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opening Ceremony

ASEAN Armies Friendship in Pictures

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member