Video Games, do they come close?

Zach Z.

I just finished playing Battlefield 3 with some friends of mine and an interesting topic came up. Do these games accurately depict how their situations, whether it's a war against Russia, China, North Korea, or Iran, would turn out. Personally I believe that it's all just good gameplay to sell the companies' products. But some of the capabilities of the weapons portrayed in these games I'm genuinely curious about. Could anyone shed some light on how close games such as Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, and Ghost Recon (to an extent) actually come to being plausible.

ZELEGEND

Some military personal in the army and airforce DO use simulators to train.

Some of these include VBS, DCS-A10 and others.

However, they are not designed to give full experience and preparation but only designed to enable more efficient coordination and cooperation.

Experiencing G forces, dust in eye, weariness etc are factors that can make a huge impact on performance. So the role of simulators are extremely limited and in some cases be considered 'negative' training. It's very useful for cases when the human is really just sitting behind a desk in RL (like UAV or UGV operation).

PHySlCz

Banned Member
!

Arma 3

This is the most realistic Game !

Modern Warfare 3 ,Battlefield 3 & Ghost Recon all Shooters,has nothing that is Realistic ,Only looks Great !

Vanguard

If a game targets itself for realism (Arma 3 an already given example) then they are usually not that bad and do a lot to incorporate things like speaking with servicemen and people with experience in the build up. Those games that are really just simple minded shooters like Battlefield 3 are what they say they are and are never meant to be more than visually accurate.

aussiesk8

Warfare is probably less frustrating in reality without the enemy spawning behind you every two seconds lol