Training to be recruited in the French Foreign Legion.

OneCoolGuy

Hello Everyone,
I am going to volunteer for the Legion in about 6 to 8 months time (after i finish my final year of college) during which i plan to train for it. So far i only am focused on physical fitness (strength & stamina), at the moment i am just doing the basics - Running, Push ups, Pull ups and Sit ups. well i have no previous military experience so i would be grateful if you could guide me as to what to focus on and what not.. (times i should be doing?, routines, etc)

I am also concerned about the motivational test they will subject you when you join, i definitely don't what to say the wrong thing, however i feel my interview answers are too "textbook" and wont impress them much. for example if asked

1) why do you want to join? i guess i would be the average Joe and go with "I want to be a soldier and do something meaningful with my life etc etc.."

2) What do you have to offer? (totally stomped here) I have no military experience.

if you could share some interview skills at during your interviews with your respective military's that would help my confidence allot. (also a few tips and advice to get me to think like a solider and come across as a potential one and not just another thrill seeker.)

Many thanks!

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,
I am going to volunteer for the Legion in about 6 to 8 months time (after i finish my final year of college) during which i plan to train for it. So far i only am focused on physical fitness (strength & stamina), at the moment i am just doing the basics - Running, Push ups, Pull ups and Sit ups. well i have no previous military experience so i would be grateful if you could guide me as to what to focus on and what not.. (times i should be doing?, routines, etc)

I am also concerned about the motivational test they will subject you when you join, i definitely don't what to say the wrong thing, however i feel my interview answers are too "textbook" and wont impress them much. for example if asked

1) why do you want to join? i guess i would be the average Joe and go with "I want to be a soldier and do something meaningful with my life etc etc.."

2) What do you have to offer? (totally stomped here) I have no military experience.

if you could share some interview skills at during your interviews with your respective military's that would help my confidence allot. (also a few tips and advice to get me to think like a solider and come across as a potential one and not just another thrill seeker.)

Many thanks!
Where are you from? You want to be 100% sure that this is the right path for you. Have you considered service in your own country's military?

I can't give you any advice on interviews or how to act like a soldier, and in my opinion you should probably just be straightforward with them - I doubt you're going to convince professional soldiers that you're "one of them" when they deal with new recruits all the time and have probably heard it all before. And like I said, be really sure that you want to take your life in this direction.

OneCoolGuy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where are you from? You want to be 100% sure that this is the right path for you. Have you considered service in your own country's military?

I can't give you any advice on interviews or how to act like a soldier, and in my opinion you should probably just be straightforward with them - I doubt you're going to convince professional soldiers that you're "one of them" when they deal with new recruits all the time and have probably heard it all before. And like I said, be really sure that you want to take your life in this direction.
I am from the Arab Emirates, yes i am 100 percent sure i wish to join, i have considered but my countries military 1) i cant speak Arabic and 2) there small scale 3) they dont really consider themselves as being a part of a family... unlike the Legion

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Don't worry much about more than good fitness. Everything else you need will be hammered into you during basic training anyway.

Learning french may be helpfull to ease the early days.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Get yourself mentally prepared. Run a marathon, that will give you some mental toughness, then right after, voulenteer to wash the dishes and pots and pans for free at a local, busy resturaunt. When you finish, have the chef punch you in the mouth a few times. Then go home, polish some boots, iron some clothes and tidy your house. Do this once a week for a few months before you join.
Good luck.

prepping 2015

Based on the fact a vast majority enlisted in the foreign legion are refugees, criminals and other immigrants from various french speaking African countries, who probably have no qualifications and the like, as long as you're fit, you're probably fine.