Searching for my father

siegex

Sorry if I'm in the wrong area...but can't seem to find any other spot for my query.

My father served in the New Zealand SAS. To my knowledge he was a Signalman (I think that's the term) I am aware he died during a training exercise. His death occured in 1970.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I go about searching for Military information on him ? I am looking for photos as I have only 1 of him...I know nothing of him, my enstranged mother won't divulge information and his step brother (also ex NZ SAS) is usually too drunk (trauma I assume) to speak to about this subject

Thanks and appreciate any input

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry if I'm in the wrong area...but can't seem to find any other spot for my query.

My father served in the New Zealand SAS. To my knowledge he was a Signalman (I think that's the term) I am aware he died during a training exercise. His death occured in 1970.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I go about searching for Military information on him ? I am looking for photos as I have only 1 of him...I know nothing of him, my enstranged mother won't divulge information and his step brother (also ex NZ SAS) is usually too drunk (trauma I assume) to speak to about this subject

Thanks and appreciate any input
You should be able to approach the relevant NZ Veterans Affairs agency. (unsure of what the Kiwis call it, so with a bit of luck one of the Kiwi Def Profs or Senior Members will see this.)

I'll put out a call elsewhere for you

Last edited:

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Veterans Affairs in New Zealand is part of the NZDF, they don't have their own department like in Australia. Their webpage is at:

Veterans' Affairs New Zealand

A good first step would be to request a copy of your father's Service Record. You can do so by filling out a request form and sending it to NZDF Archives:

NZDF - How to Find / Contact Us

They may have a charge for a copy but usually it is only $20 (in Australia) as this covered photocopies and postage. The service record will provide you with lots of valuable information as well as important references like his service number, rank, etc. which you will need if you want to claim any association membership, medals and so on.

Once you have the service record you can then look at joining some of the ex-Servicemen's associations like the NZ SAS Association where you might be able to get to meet some old comrades of your father who will have photos.

Good luck.

PS There is an unofficial NZSAS roll of honour at:

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse.php?mode=viewroll&sort=n&catid=8

siegex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Veterans Affairs in New Zealand is part of the NZDF, they don't have their own department like in Australia.

A good first step would be to request a copy of your father's Service Record. You can do so by filling out a request form and sending it to NZDF Archives:
They may have a charge for a copy but usually it is only $20 (in Australia) as this covered photocopies and postage. The service record will provide you with lots of valuable information as well as important references like his service number, rank, etc. which you will need if you want to claim any association membership, medals and so on.

Once you have the service record you can then look at joining some of the ex-Servicemen's associations like the NZ SAS Association where you might be able to get to meet some old comrades of your father who will have photos.

Good luck.

PS There is an unofficial NZSAS roll of honour at:

Hey thanks a bunch for the info guys....hopefully I can get something out of it.

Cheers again

Last edited by a moderator:

siegex

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys for this info....I hope to soon be able to know more about him.

Cheers again