A Roleplay Question

Graniteknighte

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I have just joined the community here- I am a bit of a history nut(ask me a date and I can spit out stuff from memory)- While I am a history nut, I severely lack when it comes to tactical knowledge and generally "how to fight"- Long story short and to the point of this thread- I play a game on a third party website which is basically an international roleplay of people creating nations(based off the Real Earth) and just generally playing as nations, fighting and conducting diplomacy and what not-

Basically in the game I have 3050 "tech" (which determines the year of technological improvements that I can have-(I can have tech up to the year 2020) I roleplay a Communist Australia and I am currently being threatened by a much more powerful China based nation-

I am allied to Grand Papua who is roughly the same strength I am. I have a total of 594,048 men at my disposal and I need to learn how to defend myself-

Most players in game use what we refer to as "technobabble" (basically spitting out whatever fancy stuff you can think of and confusing the other player so much they just roll over and don't fight)

I don't know if anyone will actually care to reply to this but I would love to learn how to "fight" and defend Australia properly-

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post as I have just joined the community here- I am a bit of a history nut(ask me a date and I can spit out stuff from memory)- While I am a history nut, I severely lack when it comes to tactical knowledge and generally "how to fight"- Long story short and to the point of this thread- I play a game on a third party website which is basically an international roleplay of people creating nations(based off the Real Earth) and just generally playing as nations, fighting and conducting diplomacy and what not-

Basically in the game I have 3050 "tech" (which determines the year of technological improvements that I can have-(I can have tech up to the year 2020) I roleplay a Communist Australia and I am currently being threatened by a much more powerful China based nation-

I am allied to Grand Papua who is roughly the same strength I am. I have a total of 594,048 men at my disposal and I need to learn how to defend myself-

Most players in game use what we refer to as "technobabble" (basically spitting out whatever fancy stuff you can think of and confusing the other player so much they just roll over and don't fight)

I don't know if anyone will actually care to reply to this but I would love to learn how to "fight" and defend Australia properly-
A gaming forum would be a better place for this question. No offence, but this is a forum about real world military topics, not how they translate into online gaming. Regardless I hope you find something that interests you on the forums. Cheers mate.

Graniteknighte

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bonza- I do appreciate your response, But I do feel I have a valid reason for posting this. First off, others have posted RP type deals where others have helped and point 2, You lot seem very very very (get my idea as of yet) intelligent as it regards military planning and "techy" stuff. I do not have such a background and would not know where to start looking for such information(hence I came here) In that vein, a gaming forum would fail me because the people there would also seem to lack a distinct military background which could be applied to my question.

Further, I am enjoying the forums and do like it here- I just wanted help with my roleplay.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bonza- I do appreciate your response, But I do feel I have a valid reason for posting this. First off, others have posted RP type deals where others have helped and point 2, You lot seem very very very (get my idea as of yet) intelligent as it regards military planning and "techy" stuff. I do not have such a background and would not know where to start looking for such information(hence I came here) In that vein, a gaming forum would fail me because the people there would also seem to lack a distinct military background which could be applied to my question.

Further, I am enjoying the forums and do like it here- I just wanted help with my roleplay.
The issue is that video games don't necessarily have anything to do with military systems, but with the representation of those systems within the game. Thus the "system" you must familiarise yourself with is the attributes of the video game, not the real world military. But fair enough, if you want this thread to stay that's fine, but I'll be moving it to Intros and Off-Topic, for the reasons I mentioned previously. Cheers mate.

Graniteknighte

Contrary to your belief Bonza, The text based roleplay is using real world military equipment (and in some cases like with the China based nation future ish technology) What I wanted from some of the experts here was what they did with other Roleplayed out scenarios (like Gotland) take a look at what I have done per say and suggest ways to fight and technology to use. the roleplay "game" I am in is not using laser rifles or mechanized walking machines but actual tank designs and descriptions and things- I am familiar with how the game operates but not enough with tactics and war and fighting properly which is why I came here for expert advice.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Contrary to your belief Bonza, The text based roleplay is using real world military equipment (and in some cases like with the China based nation future ish technology) What I wanted from some of the experts here was what they did with other Roleplayed out scenarios (like Gotland) take a look at what I have done per say and suggest ways to fight and technology to use. the roleplay "game" I am in is not using laser rifles or mechanized walking machines but actual tank designs and descriptions and things- I am familiar with how the game operates but not enough with tactics and war and fighting properly which is why I came here for expert advice.
It's still using artificial representations of real world military operations, placed in a context necessary to facilitate proper game balance and design. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking down to you nor am I suggesting anything negative towards the game, I'm simply saying that the two things are different. But think whatever you like, it's no business of mine. I just don't want real world threads getting mixed up with gaming threads, and I hope you can appreciate that.

NICO

I kind of agree with Bonza, not sure how we can help. I don't "roleplay" or even have time for video games so not sure how even with military experience and a ton of books on the subject, I could help. I do hope that someone here can help you. Read some of the posts that concern you like SKorea conflict or Australia affairs. I think/agree the thread should move to the "OFF topics" but I really hope you get some answers.

Maybe you can give us some details or pin point more the area where you need some help, be more specific. What exactly do you need to know and start with a simple example? You are a bit too vague. Do you want info on tactics for invasion, coast defense, maritime battles,etc...?

Wish you luck.

Graniteknighte

I would be able to show you more of what I need if I could post direct links to my actions in the "game" If I were to show you guys what I was doing, you could point out flaws in my methods of defense of Australia. What I'm looking here is more for is a knowledge base of people to talk to about defense and planning and military tactics. I believe I've said before that the extent of my "smart" military tactics extend to the Napoleonic Wars/American Civil War. Neither of which really apply to today's style of warfare (which is what is applied in game)

Graniteknighte

Here is an example of what I have done-

Australian People's Army

594,048 Personnel
5941 Challenger II Tanks(Tanks and things based off limitations based off rules)
5941 Warrior IFVs
5941 Star Streak SAMs
5941 M110s
2920 ASLAV-25s
2920 Primus 155mm 39 Calibre Self Propelled Howitzers
2920 Panther CLVs
2920 Mastiff 2s
2920 Multi-role Humvees

New Australian Army Structure
Each corps labeled 1st to 6th of 99,008 men is divided into 8 Divisions designated 1st to 8th which are broken into 6 Brigades is made up of 12,376 men and divided into 6 Battalions of 2063 men. Each Battalion is divided into 8 Platoons of 258 men and each Platoon is divided into 6 squads of 43 men containing 8 fireteams of 5 men.

Australian Engineers Corps (AEC)
The Australian Engineers are the first in and last out in any war zone. From setting up Operating Bases to clearing mines the Engineers perform a wide range of roles including bridges and demolition.

Australian Marine Corps (AMC) The Australian Marine Corps is the amphibious assault infantry. Operating from Ships of the Australian People's Navy, these men can attack from the sea and are capable of fighting on any terrain.

Australian Infantry Corps (AIC)
The Australian Infantry Corps are soldiers who are specifically trained for the role of fighting on foot to engage the enemy face to face, to kill or capture him, to seize and hold ground and to repel attack, by day or night, regardless of season, weather or terrain

Australian Armoured Corps (AAC)
These troops operate the Armoured attack of Australia's field armies.

Australian Artillery Corps (AArC)
The Australian Artillery Corps operate the Australian Army's artillery, and co-ordinate with the Australian Navy and Air Force for air strikes.

Australian Airborne Corps (AAbC)
The Australian Airborne Corps Paratroopers are soldiers trained in parachuting and generally operate as part of an airborne force. Paratroopers are used for tactical advantage as they can be inserted into the battlefield from the air, thereby allowing them to be positioned in areas not accessible by land.

Project Mushroom

The first of the projects, MUSHROOM, involve the extensive usage of the krakatoa mines in Australia's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), which extends no further than 200 nautical miles off her coasts, given that it does not intrude upon another nation’s EEZ.

The Krakatoa mine is an advanced anti-vehicle/anti-personnel weapon that use C4 and an inverted copper cone to create a huge melted copper bullet. It has the capacity to penetrate more than 1 inch of thick steel armor at a distance of 25 yards, and will be capable of penetrating up to six inches of steel armor when very close to a ship’s hull. The bomblet will be around the same size as that of a 12 oz Coke can. The bomblet will magnetize to the hull of a ship and attach itself and if the transmitters located inside the bomblet detect any issues concerning the enemy ship, the mine will explode sinking the ship. To prevent accidents with sinking of UKIM maritime shipping the mines will use their transmitters to detect coding on the ships which will instruct them not to attach on to the ships. This particular project will be divided into two phases: Phase One will concern the construction of tens of thousands of bomblets, while Phase Two will focus on the fitting of them in the EEZ.

Project Fortress

Massive fortresses (hence the project’s codename) will be built alongside the coast of Australia They will be 100 m long, 100 m wide, and 60 m tall, and they shall be built every 100 miles, making for a total of 160 fortresses. The walls of the Fortresses will be constructed of 6m (20 feet) of rebar reinforced concrete, with the roofs being twice that, and will be built to withstand even the most advanced bunker-buster bombs. In addition, the communication between these fortresses shall be handled by deep underground telephone cables.

Each fortress will have four 5-inch guns, each at a ninety degree arc, that will face the area, be it the sea or over land. On the roof of each Fortress, anti-aircraft guns will be built, including four 120-mm automatic, RADAR guided anti-aircraft guns, four 75-mm automatic, RADAR guided anti-aircraft guns, four 90mm auto flak, automatic, RADAR guided anti-aircraft guns, and two THAAD missile launchers.

The shores (beaches) of Oregon are to be covered in krakatoa mines, which will have pressure sensors on them that gets them off when enough pressure is applied on them (as when the general weight changes). In addition to that, they can also be activated manually through radio transmitters as to ensure public safety (as in people using the beach). This serves as a dual purpose to thwart demining procedures (removing mines), for the mines can be detonated remotely long before the enemy forces even have the chance to even get close to the mines.

In peacetime, the Fortresses will serve as a holding place for pillboxes and Czech hedgehogs, to be ready to be deployed at a moment’s notice. Each pillbox will house approximately 1 to 10 (ten) troops/personnel, and are to be made of 2-meter thick reinforced concrete and provide excellent [temporary] cover against any invading force.

Project Phoenix

Project PHOENIX will incorporate not only the anti-missile defenses outlined in earlier projects, but it will also utilize anti-aircraft guns of varying sizes, caliber, power, and range. It will employ overlapping RADAR installations throughout the country as to monitor air traffic as well as aerial defense.

The first level of defense in PHOENIX is the usage of 75mm guns to provide low-level air support. These guns will be linked to RADAR systems throughout the country, and be automated. The highest concentrations of these weapons will be around cities, towns, and military bases, installations, and depots - although some will be interspersed throughout the nation to provide for maximum advantage. Their effective range is 13.5 km and maximum range is 18 km.

The second level of defense will consist of 90mm auto flak guns with the same characteristics as 75mm guns. Their ceiling is 34,000 feet.

The third level of defense will consist the usage of 120mm guns with the same characteristics as that of 75mm and 90mm guns. Their maximum ceiling is 57,000 feet.

The fourth level of defense involves the usage of SM-3, RIM-116, THAAD, Starstreak, and MIM-104F missile launchers. They will be arrayed around the major cities and towns, and military bases, installations, and depots - the same as the AA guns aforementioned above. Not only that, but hundreds of Centurion C-RAM, a land-based version of the naval Phalanx CIWS, will be installed alongside the coast, all over the Kingdom’s borders.

The fifth level of PHOENIX is the RADAR installations. Each RADAR installation will consist of two relays. The first will operate on a normal frequency while the second will operate under 2 GHz to detect stealth aircraft. By having two systems, the 2 GHz system can find the stealth aircraft, allowing the second system to lock on to their location and follow them, providing solutions for fighters and anti-air weapons. These will be placed throughout the country as well, providing multiple overlapping coverage.

Project Delphi
Project DELPHI is a fortification project designed to revitalize the border fortifications on the nation's northern, western, and eastern borders. Similar to FORTRESS, Delphi will utilize krakatoa mines for anti-personnel and anti-vehicle purposes. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of these mines will be placed alongside the border as well as major roadways, highways, and streets throughout the country, especially these leading into and outside the major cities and towns, and bases, installations, and depots.

An elaborate system of trenches, tunnels, and minefields (of which hundreds of thousands of krakatoa mines will be installed, all of which can be activated by remote means), as well as electrified fences and barbed wires will be built alongside the entirety of the nation's border. The bases, pillboxes, and bunkers will be elaborately camouflaged as to provide advantage to the defending force in times of war and/or invasion.

20mm artillery batteries will be placed at specific intervals alongside the border, and on roads and streets throughout the nation. In the border fortifications, casemates will be utilized, where they will be established at intervals along the border. These cannons will be automated, meaning they will activate upon detection of infrared signature of humans (for instance, troops). They are not to be activated in peacetime. As with the bases, pillboxes, and bunkers, the batteries will be camouflaged.

Next, booby traps (such as tank ditches, anti-personnel pits, fragmentation mines) and sniper bases will be constructed along the border. Artillery emplacements (20mm) will be built among the major roads, highways, and roadways throughout the country. DELPHI is to utilize the nation's geography (such as hills, mountains, and valleys) to maximum effect to create a strong defense that will make it very difficult for enemy forces to penetrate through to the interior; barring that, it will also inflict heavy casualties against the invading force.

t68

A Communist Australia I hope not,
Ahh I forgot we already are to a degree with the current labour/greens party. Perhaps we under communist regime need a coup d’état would be beneficial right about now.

The World Today Archive - Friday, 19 May , 2000 00:00:00
Reporter: John Highfield
COMPERE: For the third time the Australia appears to be facing a coup d’état. I'm John Highfield. Welcome to The World Today.

Thirteen years after it faced its first coup by Gen Peter Gration, Australia is again in turmoil, all but cut off from the world. The coup leader is apparently one Cathy Freeman. She says her action is a civilian takeover on behalf of indigenous Australians. The World Today understands that Miss Freeman is the former head of the Australian Hardwood Corporation and claims that he and his co-conspirators have revoked the Constitution.

Cathy Freeman: I would like to take this time to address the people of the nation of Australia and in particular our indigenous people with regard to recent events that have taken place in our country of the Commonwealth of Australia.

We have secured a civil coup on behalf of the indigenous peoples of Australia. That civil coup has resulted in the overthrow of the Liberal-led coalition government in Australia.

I would like to announce that Australia is currently under civilian rule with the assistance of armed forces who are passive but will remain at the beck and call and the control of the civilian government that is in place at this time that is headed by myself. I have taken these actions as requested by the indigenous peoples of Australia [inaudible] of Australia and by the law of Australia.

I want to assure the international community as well as the communities in our country of Australia that the coalition Liberal members in the former government whom we have just put down are safe and well and are held in a secure place and their safety you should have no fear for.

The purpose of this brief statement is for me to make this announcement and to make clear that [inaudible] set forth the foundations for change once and for all in the affairs of the country of Australia as desired by the indigenous peoples of Australia in their desire to achieve self determination and control of their future destiny in all matters pertaining to their livelihood and the affairs of the Republic of the Australia.

When we executed our actions this morning there were a small number of us. But as I speak and as I sit and make these announcements to you, I speak on behalf of every individual member of the indigenous Australian community in this country of ours.

Some of these actions I am asserting ownership, I am asserting control and I am asserting executive power over Australia as I speak. What these actions do is that I announced that we have revoked the Constitution and have set that aside. We have revoked the powers of the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia, and that all executive control of the [inaudible] and this country of ours currently resides in my hands.

COMPERE: That is Cathy Freeman, the female leading the coup in Fiji, monitored by The World Today as she made her dramatic announcement from the parliamentary building there in Canberra.

She's since announced her interim government. She says Prime Minister Julia Gillard is now in charge, she has a Home Affairs Minister as his deputy. Another local Bob Brown.

Edit this not to be taken seriously it is a take of the George Spate coup d’état
The World Today Archive - Fiji coup d'etat

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want to leave the politics out of it mate? You've been around long enough to know better than that.

Karchev23

Roleplay

WELL, I played a International Role-play a little while ago myself basically start looking at maps, think about where something may happen, You also have to take into account your economic base. A Communist Australia to be honest would probably have to buy most of its stuff from China, which in my opinion would have to be surplus arms and equipment, so Soviet era stuff. Also Could i please grab a link off of you for this Game? Id be interested to join in.

Graniteknighte

google search "Cybernations.net" which is the main game you need a nation in game to be able to do the roleplay-- then go to the Forums and look for Fantasy IC Roleplay

ltdanjuly10

What is the question exactly? Not to mention that we can't give you advice without knowing the type, training and number of forces arrayed against you. Do you have to fight on home turf? Can you launch a counter-offensive or premptive strike? What allies do you have and what assistance can they provide? Do you, your Allies or your enemy possess CBRN capability? If so is it politically possible to use them or turn you enemy's use of them into a propaganda coup? Are you self sufficient? Are your sea lines of communication secure? What is the intelligence situation like? Are you under constant satellite survalince to the point that a build up will be detected? Do you have any space war capabilitys? Does you populace support the war? Being that your communist will they welcome the invaders as liberators or form partisan groups to oppose them? What is your logistics situation? Can you produce your own armaments? If so how secure are your factories from the enemy? Are you enemy's supplie lines vunerable? Do you have tactical or stratigic warning of inpending enemy attack? Just a few things off the top of my head we would need to provide useful advice

Graniteknighte

What is the question exactly? Not to mention that we can't give you advice without knowing the type, training and number of forces arrayed against you. Do you have to fight on home turf? Can you launch a counter-offensive or premptive strike? What allies do you have and what assistance can they provide? Do you, your Allies or your enemy possess CBRN capability? If so is it politically possible to use them or turn you enemy's use of them into a propaganda coup? Are you self sufficient? Are your sea lines of communication secure? What is the intelligence situation like? Are you under constant satellite survalince to the point that a build up will be detected? Do you have any space war capabilitys? Does you populace support the war? Being that your communist will they welcome the invaders as liberators or form partisan groups to oppose them? What is your logistics situation? Can you produce your own armaments? If so how secure are your factories from the enemy? Are you enemy's supplie lines vunerable? Do you have tactical or stratigic warning of inpending enemy attack? Just a few things off the top of my head we would need to provide useful advice
Yes I can launch counter attacks and counter offensives/preemptive strikes. I would be fighting on home turf- I have a couple of allies and they can send troops and ships- What does CBRN mean? I am self sufficient and under normal (relative to the rest of the world) surveillence by satellites-- The populace supports the war-- I can produce armaments myself-- Factories could be more secure (suggest ways) the supply lines would be vulnerable for my enemy I would have warning systems in line

United Federation of the East Factbook - Cyber Nations Forums That is my enemy's factbook of data (ignore the government-y stuff and focus on the military)

Communist Australian Movements and Plans - Cyber Nations Forums (This is my General Actions thread of stuff I have done)

ltdanjuly10

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBRN"]Chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Wikipedia is your friend, while not always accurate it is the majority of the time. It also makes a better search engine than Google in my opinion since much of the information has links. Try looking up Civil Defense, Bunkers/Fallout Shelters, Nuclear Warfare, Ballistic Missile Defense and make sure to check out everything related to these subjects. This will give you a decent grounding in nuclear strategy in only a few hours.

If your troops posses the capability to fight in this environment, combined with ballistic missile defense, offensive nuclear and chemical capability, a massive civil defense effort (better to spend your billions on bunkers and fallout shelters than massive forts just begging for a missile strike) a informed and trained populace (maybe Nuclear War Survival Skills is on your 6th grade reading list) then perhaps you could look into using a nuclear defensive strategy. Your opponent seems to lack BMD apart from his navy and a couple of nuclear tipped torpedos can do away with that, this leaves him vulnerable to nuclear checkmate (You shoot down his ICBM/SLBM/Cruise Missiles and Bombers leaving him weaponless and open to your own Nuclear weapons) Tactical Nuclear weapons can vaporize his troops concentrations or at least force him to fight dispersed. Better yet If you strike his Invasion fleet(s) with Tac Nukes while his armys are still on the boats than you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

To secure your factory's than you could do the following. 1. Move them away from the coast to keep them from the advancing enemy, the Russkies did this in WW2 moving entire factories hundreds of miles behind the Urals to keep them in operation. 2. Disperse your production capability as much as possible, Japan in WW2 moved much of its weapons production capability into the homes of its workers. 3. Protect your factories inside of an air defense sanctuary, Interceptors and SAMs can make it costly to destroy them for the enemy. 4. Put your factories in Hardened underground bunkers and try and keep there locations secret. Also Don't forget to keep your workers safe from enemy attack (see Civil Defense). Vehicles moving supplies to and from your factory's will be vulnerable to air attack and will lead your enemy's right to them. If possible move as many pieces on foot and assemble the product away from the factory.

Walls, Land mines, Pillboxes, Barbed wire will all just slow your enemy down and unless artillery and Anti-Tank weapons are present than it might not slow them by much. In this modern age of precision guided weaponry forts and strongholds are likely to be destroyed without every seeing the enemy. Worse yet most will be ignored as your enemy will not land everywhere at once .Strong Mobile forces are far more useful than fortresses. If you truly wish to have fortresses build them around your ports to make it difficult for the enemy to seize them.

Strike your enemy's supply lines and when every you see him massing for an attack preempt him by attacking. Try and always strike him where he is weakest.
Don't let him have any areas of value without paying for them dearly, empty desert is not worth fighting for. Finally If you can't have it, blow it up or spray persistent chemical agents on it to keep it from him.

If you have anymore questions please be specific in asking about them for example How should I target my strategic missiles or how does modern air defense warfare work. Look around the forum as many of your questions were almost certainly already asked some time ago and a long and tedious debate will have formed on them with plenty of suggestions and alternatives just waiting to be exploited. Learning your acronyms will help you decipher many conversations

Remember there are multiple schools of thought when it comes to most of this stuff, 90% of the time someone will come along and say that the guy who was helping you was wrong or that there is a better way to do it. Just look at a thread on Russian tank design vs Western Tank Design philosophy for an example

Finally always try and Google or wiki your question first (There is no such thing as a stupid question but if the information is already available why ask?)

Graniteknighte

In the game we have "wonders" which grant our nation bonuses for the game mechanic(like +4.00 dollars citizen income and +2 happiness) things like National Fallout Shelter or the Stock Market- But you have to bring them "online" in the RP-

To be clear my first guess at what BMD means is Ballistic Missile Defence yes?

How would one shoot down a nuke? I thought it impossible-- Point of order- Each nation in the roleplay has 25 nukes maximum for all three fields of attack (Air land and sea) so I do not know if that changes any advice anyone would give-- Civil Defence and hunkering down I can do, rather easily in fact--

Would it be conceivable to build bunkers/underground cities in the Outback to hide civilians in?

Last edited: