Inquiry on the Viking Submachinegun.

rexxt80

Hi folks ,
Im very new in here ..
I am making inquiries regarding the Viking Submachine gun.
Very few references exist ...even in google or wikipedia ...!!
:confused:
Information/pictures/data/drawings on this weapon seem to have
just disappeared into thin air ..!!
Anyone with any information or useful links on this weapon please
get back at me..
Best Regards,
REXX.

rexxt80

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
.. still inquiring ...!!

Hi folks ,
Im very new in here ..
get back at me..
Best Regards,
REXX.
Amazing ..!!
Has no one on this forum heard of ...or used this Submachine gun ..??
:confused::confused:
Interestingly ..there are no pictures or manufucturing drawings of this
weapon on ANY forum ...
I wonder why ..??
REXX

rexxt80

.. more info ..

Herwith more info that i was able to dig up ...
Viking SMG.
Notes:
Viking Systems Inc. is (or was; I have not been able to determine Viking’s status as of present) a company headed by well known firearms designer Dale Toler.
Perhaps its first military-type product was the Viking submachinegun (which also had the unofficial nickname of “Vixen”).
The Viking was designed to be a small and easily-concealable submachinegun for users ranging from bodyguards and protection details to military vehicle operators.
It is, in fact, smaller than the Uzi at a mere 14.2 inches in length with the stock retracted and 22.8 inches with the stock extended. Though some sales were reportedly made (to groups including the Secret Service, US Customs, some special operations units in various places in the world, and the Egyptian Presidential Guard), no official sales of the Viking have actually been made (as far as I have been able to find out).
The Egyptian Army in particular conducted grueling tests with the Viking, some of which went as far as putting the Viking in a mudhole and then firing a full magazine through it and dropping a cocked, locked, and loaded Viking from a height onto the ground..!!
Though the design of the Viking submachinegun can hardly be called innovative; it uses a simple blowback operation, fires from an open bolt, and uses the telescoping bolt principle to reduce length, with a rather heavy bolt to reduce the cyclic rate.
Feed is from a magazine inserted into the pistol grip; the 36-round double-column box is intended to be the standard magazine, but 32 and 20-round magazines are also available. (The 20-round magazine is optimal for concealment, as it fits flush with the bottom of the pistol grip.)
Construction is largely of heavy steel tubing, and the parts are made to be as seamless as possible. The pistol grip is made from polycarbonate plastic, with a swing-down foregrip made from the same material (which doubles as a conventional handguard when in the upwards position. The 8.5-inch barrel is normally tipped by a flash suppressor similar to that of the M-16A1, but the muzzle is threaded to allow a number of other muzzle attachments to used. The selector switch (actually a slider) has fire, semi, and auto settings.
The magazine release is a bit peculiar; it is on the left side, and one can easily release the magazine by simply sweeping downwards with the left hand. In addition to the safe selector setting, the Viking has several passive safeties, including a grip safety on the pistol grip.
Sights are elevation-adjustable flip-type aperture sights in the rear and a windage-adjustable post in the front, both with protective ears. The top of the receiver has a mount which was purpose-designed for the Aimpoint laser aiming module, but can be used for other such sights or items like ACOG sights.
Twilight 2000 Notes:
The Viking saw wide issue in the Twilight 2000 timeline, most notably to the special ops units of various countries, USAF Security troops, and the Egyptian, Saudi, and Kuwaiti armies.
Weapon : Viking
Ammunition : 9mm Parabellum
Weight : 3.52 KGS
Magazines : 20 / 32 / 36
Price : $ 310
:)
Surely ..
Someone out there MUST have come across this weapon ..
Photos ... Diagrams .. Text ... anything ..??
REXX

allengator56

viking smg

Hey, Are you referring to Dale Tolers Viking Systems 9mm Viking SMG that never went into full production? I have a few articles with many photos on that Viking
Hi folks ,
Im very new in here ..
get back at me..
Best Regards,
REXX.

allengator56

Viking

The Israeli's had everything to do with it going away. 6 mil eliminated any competition for Uzi sales,,,,,,So a little bird told me!!! LOL:ar15
Amazing ..!!
Has no one on this forum heard of ...or used this Submachine gun ..??
Interestingly ..there are no pictures or manufucturing drawings of this
weapon on ANY forum ...
I wonder why ..??
REXX

rexxt80

references ...please ..!!

@ allengator56 :

Thanks for the reply ..

But WHY would the Isrealis get so touchy about a simple SMG ..??
Even if it was a competitor to their UZI ..??

Incidentally , the Swedes have come up with a real cracker that puts
the UZI nicely in the shade ..

The CBJ-MS PDW is miles ahead of any 9mm SMG...

And the MAX11A1 is not too bad either ..!!

Please put up some references / links / photos of the Viking .. and
especially cut-away drawings if you have any ..

Cheers ..

REXXT80.

allengator56

Liking the Viking

I guess I didn't mention that this happened shortly after 1986 when the Uzi was #1 and this new gun was smaller and lighter. You can read about it in several back issues of Machine Gun News (86-93?) available thru Long Mountain Outfitters online,, search the back issues using the keyword "Viking" to find the appropriate issue
The articles could be available without buying the back issues,, but I'm not computer literate enough to be able to find em myself. I had all the back issues but lent them to someone and never got em back. I do have copies of 2 articles on the gun from 86 but have no idea how to send em or even get them on the computer

Cheers ..

REXXT80.[/QUOTE]

allengator56

I'm trying to send some pics that I already have. The Viking pics you have on your post are of the current Viking that was developed from the technology of the one that I'm sending pics of. I didn't realize that you were referring to the newer model when asking for info. Viking Systems Malden (?)Mass. owned by Dale Toler out of Virginia put out the earlier gun, then the new one came out from Sweden based on some of the original technology

Thanks for the reply ..

Cheers ..

REXXT80.[/QUOTE]

allengator56

These pics came from online image searches for "Viking SMG" the picture where you can see the new design in the background shows both models together. The other picture coincidentally is from one of the articles that I now possess copies of.

Thanks for the reply ..

Cheers ..

REXXT80.[/QUOTE]

rexxt80

.. Viking Article ..

@ allengator56:

I would reall appreciate the link with that article on the Viking ..

REXX

rexxt80

Viking 9mm

The Viking is a 9mm submachine gun of simple construction. It is reportedly built to a high standard of quality and is said to be exceptionally steady during fire. The magazine is the Carl Gustav pattern and there is an ingenious magazine loading tool which, with the aid of pre-packed cartridges, allows a 36-round magazine to be loaded in a few seconds' time. There is a muzzle brake, which aids steadiness, and iron sights are standard.

Status: In production and supplied to various military forces

Manufacturer: Viking Systems Inc, Arlington, VA

Cartridge: 9 x 19 Parabellum

Operation: Blowback, selective fire

Length overall: (stock extended) 600 mm; (stock folded) 400 mm

Length barrel: 220 mm

Weight: (empty) 3.52 kg

Feed: 20- or 36-round box magazine

Rate of fire: 700-800 rounds/minute

Ron`s welding

I was and employee at Viking Systems

Hi folks ,
Im very new in here ..
get back at me..
Best Regards,
REXX.
I was one of three people who made these weapons in 1984, the company went bankrupt due to the Feds not approving sales of these in this country, a total of 50 were made and supposedly destroyed after turning them over to the feds, who knows they might be locked up in safe somewhere? Only one Fancy gun exists as it was custom made for the Sultan of Bruni as a gift when the owner went there to try to get funds to keep the company financed which did not happen i still have a photo of this weapon, it had hand made rosewood grips,the trigger was gold plated and the Flash suppressor/wire stock track for shoulder firing/bolt slide handle and clips were chrome plated,the main housing was laser engraved with H Bolkiah the sultans Name in the side.

Ron`s welding

testing for reply

Hi folks ,
Im very new in here ..
get back at me..
Best Regards,
REXX.
Having some trouble posting here

Ron`s welding

Viking systems closed it`s doors back in 1985
I was one of several employees there, the feds did not care for the design in that it was very easy to modify to full auto and therefore never was authorized to be sold or available to the public in the US. there were only 50 production units / 9 prototypes and 1 custom designed unit made for the H Bolkiah (the sultan of Bruni) in the middle east as a gift when the owner of Viking systems visited the middle east in attempt to get financial support to continue production which never happened, the custom unit had hand made wood grips,chrome plated wire stock/magazine/ flash suppressor and bolt handle.the trigger was gold plated and his name was laser engraved in the side of the bolt housing. the manufacturing facility was actually in Manchester NH. It is believed all guns were destroyed but then again may be collecting dust in a safe someplace but 1 is likely to be still in existence in the middle east ?