hopefull recruit

qldboy

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right section. But to the point. I completed year 12 last year, and decided that I would use 2010 to work my casual job, play football and more importantly decide on what i was going to do with my life.

A life in the ADF seems like the only lifestyle i would enjoy. I love being challenged physically and mentally and it seems the Army is the best place for people like me. But all the jobs that appeal to me aren't currently recruiting.

I feel that the lifestyle i have lived my whole life, that being one involving representing Australia and Queensland on a number of occasions in Athletics and always pushing myself to succeed, has left me with a need to push myself and a general desire to be among the best of the best. I'm sure there's plenty of people who say that though.

Ideally I hope to one day make the special forces (Commandos and one day hopefully SASR) and i know ill need to start at the bottom to get there. The problem is, the Army isn't recruiting Rifleman, and the direct entry to commandos requires me to be 19 (also being just out of school i doubt i have enough experience for that).

I want to have started my career in the Defence force by early next year. But it just seems like everything i want to do is off limits at the moment.

Can anybody throw some ideas my way? I've done 6 months of research and still am unsure of where to start.

kittikhun

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right section. But to the point. I completed year 12 last year, and decided that I would use 2010 to work my casual job, play football and more importantly decide on what i was going to do with my life.

A life in the ADF seems like the only lifestyle i would enjoy. I love being challenged physically and mentally and it seems the Army is the best place for people like me. But all the jobs that appeal to me aren't currently recruiting.

I feel that the lifestyle i have lived my whole life, that being one involving representing Australia and Queensland on a number of occasions in Athletics and always pushing myself to succeed, has left me with a need to push myself and a general desire to be among the best of the best. I'm sure there's plenty of people who say that though.

Ideally I hope to one day make the special forces (Commandos and one day hopefully SASR) and i know ill need to start at the bottom to get there. The problem is, the Army isn't recruiting Rifleman, and the direct entry to commandos requires me to be 19 (also being just out of school i doubt i have enough experience for that).

I want to have started my career in the Defence force by early next year. But it just seems like everything i want to do is off limits at the moment.

Can anybody throw some ideas my way? I've done 6 months of research and still am unsure of where to start.
They're recruiting riflemen now mate. If you don't get your rifleman preference, why not try becoming a combat engineer and learn new skills that will help you in joining special forces? Why not become an Infantry or Armoured Corps officer?

Oh and take it easy with the shoulder whilst playing rugby as shoulder dislocations aren't cool and will hinder your chances to obtain a combat role.

qldboy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They're recruiting riflemen now mate. If you don't get your rifleman preference, why not try becoming a combat engineer and learn new skills that will help you in joining special forces? Why not become an Infantry or Armoured Corps officer?

Oh and take it easy with the shoulder whilst playing rugby as shoulder dislocations aren't cool and will hinder your chances to obtain a combat role.
thanks, and shit, i just checked the site again and rifleman is finally opened. ive been checking it constantly since last year and havent seen it open until now.

Ive applied for a position as a medical operator/technician which wasnt exactly what i wanted but it does seem to be a better option, giving me credentials i can use after the army and also giving me a better chance of being close to home. so im happy with the choice,

...but still, it must be maybe a week after i applied and rifleman opens.

kittikhun

thanks, and shit, i just checked the site again and rifleman is finally opened. ive been checking it constantly since last year and havent seen it open until now.

Ive applied for a position as a medical operator/technician which wasnt exactly what i wanted but it does seem to be a better option, giving me credentials i can use after the army and also giving me a better chance of being close to home. so im happy with the choice,

...but still, it must be maybe a week after i applied and rifleman opens.
So have you attended a YOU session yet?

qldboy

So have you attended a YOU session yet?
Im booked for september. it was the only available time in my area. If i remember correctly i might be able to add rifleman as my second preference still?

ill check it out.

kittikhun

You sure can. I think you could even change your first preference to rifleman, if you've already done the forms and sent them in by mail to DFR, on the YOU session day. When I did my interview the careers counsellor asked me if I still wanted to keep my first preference as a combat engineer or if I wanted to change it to something else so that explains itself.

qldboy

yer, how did you go with all your interviews and sessions?

I applied over the internet, but received a few forms through mail (criminal history and that stuff), I am suppose to just brings those to the YOU session right? I read over it and wasnt sure if they wanted it mailed back? Its a stupid question but I just want to make sure.

kittikhun

yer, how did you go with all your interviews and sessions?

I applied over the internet, but received a few forms through mail (criminal history and that stuff), I am suppose to just brings those to the YOU session right? I read over it and wasnt sure if they wanted it mailed back? Its a stupid question but I just want to make sure.
I passed all the interviews and stuff and merited the right to apply for any job in the ADF due to my score in the aptitude test. However, I was honest on my medical questionnaire and was classed class four because of my shoulder dislcoation and mild depression that I suffered last year. Now, I have to take surgery for my left shoulder and get a medical reference for my depression but all is good as my recent x-rays say that nothing is wrong with my shoulder. It sucks to have to pay for the appeal though.

Yes, you bring these papers to the YOU session. You don't mail them. I typed up a full review of the YOU session on boredofstudies. So in google, type in boredofstudies and you session and you should find a thread started by me (I use the same username on that site).

Cheers.

qldboy

I passed all the interviews and stuff and merited the right to apply for any job in the ADF due to my score in the aptitude test. However, I was honest on my medical questionnaire and was classed class four because of my shoulder dislcoation and mild depression that I suffered last year. Now, I have to take surgery for my left shoulder and get a medical reference for my depression but all is good as my recent x-rays say that nothing is wrong with my shoulder. It sucks to have to pay for the appeal though.

Yes, you bring these papers to the YOU session. You don't mail them. I typed up a full review of the YOU session on boredofstudies. So in google, type in boredofstudies and you session and you should find a thread started by me (I use the same username on that site).

Cheers.
I'll check that out. mm hopefully i wont have any trouble with being pigeon toed :confused: it doesnt cause me pain, or slow me up at all. ill just wait and see i suppose. thanks for all the help, much appreciated

kittikhun

I'll check that out. mm hopefully i wont have any trouble with being pigeon toed :confused: it doesnt cause me pain, or slow me up at all. ill just wait and see i suppose. thanks for all the help, much appreciated
If it doesn't cause you any problems lie about it or just don't mention it; DFR don't know anything about you until you tell them. Also, I don't think there will be a question pertaining to any problems on your feet besides a question asking if you are flat-footed.

Last edited:

qldboy

If it doesn't cause you any problems lie about it or just don't mention it; DFR know nothing about you until you tell them. I don't think there will be a question pertaining to any problems on your feet besides a question asking if you are flat-footed.
yer, its never been a problem and thats really all i can think of that might set me back. A friend of mine found out he was color blind when he was trying to get in. Bit of a shock, but they sent him to Brisbane for further tests and told him theres still a chance he'll get in.

kittikhun

yer, its never been a problem and thats really all i can think of that might set me back. A friend of mine found out he was color blind when he was trying to get in. Bit of a shock, but they sent him to Brisbane for further tests and told him theres still a chance he'll get in.
Just because you passed the medical on the YOU session does not necessarily mean that you will classed class one. You may also be rejected on Assessment Day mate when you hae to strip and be checked by a doctor or nurse. So if your pigeon toe is rather conspicuous prepare yourself a speech to try and convince the doctor or nurse otherwise that you are fit to serve as a rifleman and that you have worked your whole life to serve in the ADF. As well, tick no for anything relating to mental illness. If you have suffered from depression, no matter how acute, say that you didn't, no matter how moral you may be. If not, you're immediately classed class four. It's really a pain in the ass doing an appeal mate.

kittikhun

Crap. Some prick had hacked the site where I posted what the YOU session consists of and you can't go on it anymore. I'll post the file up when I find it on my computer somewhere.

kittikhun

Here is the file.

I just went to my YOU session yesterday and passed all tests except the medical questionnaire. I have been deemed Class 4 (due to a shoulder injury I sustained last year but I am still able to appeal) therefore I am starting this thread in order to prevent another ADF aspiring applicant to not fail their session.

FAQ

How can you fail the YOU session?

You can fail the YOU session in the following ways-

-by arriving late.
-by not being offered any jobs due to your score on the aptitude test.
-by not providing the required documentation.
-by failing the interview with the nurse in regards to your medical questionnaire.
-by failing the eye test
-by falling outside the range of the required BMI (18.5-30).
-by failing the height requirement.
-by the discretion of the careers counsellor who may deem you unsuitable for service.
-by not being patriotic enough (don't say anything anti-Australian during this session to any one even if these sentiments are strong however don't worry if you do not have an Australian accent. They will still accept you).

Do I need a résumé?

If you are aspiring to become an officer yes but if you are just going in general entry no though a résumé would not hurt your application.

What should I wear?

You should wear respectable clothing such as a suit or a business shirt and a tie and not flip flops and shorts like others wore on the day- it creates a bad impression on you. This is a job interview. Take it seriously like any other.

What should I bring?

A notebook and pencil together with a newspaper, sudoko, crosswords, or magazines. You won't be able to read well because of the noise of the TV and the others talking around you if they are sociable. Prepare to wait long.

I'm an over-achiever and can't bring all my awards to the YOU session. What do I bring?

If that is the case, just bring your School certificate or your HSC if you have one together with all your reports from year 10 and upwards. They will only copy your most recent report though and your latest certificate. They don't give a rat's ass about your other documents but do mention them if they are impressive.

Do I need to research my job?

Not really since you won't be asked many questions pertaining to your job, but if you do it wouldn't hurt when you are interviewed by your Careers Counsellor. You would have to research though and research well in preparation for Assessment Day.

What does the day consists of?

Read 'How not to fail' below.

I'm unfit, will they reject me straight out?

No, they will recommend you to start working on your fitness in preparation for your Assessment Day however if your BMI is outside the range required (18.5-30) you will be spoken with a doctor and most probably turned away for six months or until you fall within the acceptable range.

I have asthma. Will I fail?

Yes, if are a numpty and say you do. Remember that they cannot possibly find information about you unless if you tell them. If you suffer from asthma, lie and say that you don't. John Edmonson VC suffered from acute asthma and he got into the CMF and later the 2nd AIF by lying and so can you.

Do I have to do the PFA on the day?

No. The PFA for the YOU session is not being done anymore so don't bring your PT gear as stated in one of the form's papers.
What questions are in the Aptitude test?

The aptitude test consists of two parts. One that tests your general ability that has 75 questions which should be finished in 30 minutes and another that tests your mathematical ability which has 25 questions to be answered in 12 minutes. The general ability tests will test your abstract reasoning (finding patterns and series and all), vocabulary, logic, spatial ability, and mathematical reasoning. You are not expected to finish this test though some people do. The maths test consists of 5.3 maths from Year 10 the topics being-

-trigonmetry
-indices
-fractorisation (know how to do perfect squares, quads etc.)
-fractions and percentages
-division
-circle geometry (not 3 unit circle geometry. You just need to know what an arc, chord and all that are)
-addition and subtraction
-monetary questions (don't know the proper name sorry but you get the idea)
-series

Should I study for the Aptitude test?

Yes, you should, but don't overdo it. The test tests your general ability and mathematical skills. You should do a few IQ tests but not many as the test is rather not as hard as it you think it will be. I only did three practice tests and still got offered all the jobs available. The difficulty of the questions are much like the ones afforded to you in your application form. You should study by downloading and doing tests from the following website-

Aptitude Test Examples | Practice Aptitude Tests | Free Psychometric Test | Personality Tests | Verbal Reasoning

(However do not download the following tests as they will not be tested-

Mechanical Reasoning
Fault Diagnosis
Data interpretation
Spelling
Diagrammatic Reasoning
Concentration/Work rate)

and by reviewing 5.3 maths and learning how to do series ( a lot of the questions will deal with series in both exams). People who do 2 unit and above or people who are really good in general maths should not worry too much about studying for the maths test.

What happens if I did not merit the job I wanted from the results I obtained in the Aptitude Test?

You will be interviewed by the careers counsellor where they will probably recommend you another job. Tell them to politely piss off and that you will like to take the test again and show them that you merit the job. You have to want your job and run through a brick wall for it or else you will get the job that they ask you to do. Fight for your job.

Will the nurse strip me and touch my genitals?

No. That stuff is done on your Assessment Day but for girls I believe that they are not required to expose their breasts. However, lads must strip and show their penis and testicles to be examined by a doctor for any abnormalities.

What tests will the nurse do on me?

She will do a simple eye test and maybe check for your weight and height if she believes that they are outside the medical requirements to serve in the ADF. Depending on how you answered your questionnaire you may be asked to do further tests with a doctor.

How not to fail-

Preparation before the day-

Make sure you complete all the forms well before the day and don't leave it to the last minute. A few of the applicants had to be turned away because they didn't get the signatures of their parents on certain forms or didn't bring the required documents or ID and now have to wait six months before they can reapply. FOR YOUR MEDICAL QUESTIONNAIRE-

IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA, LIE AND JOT DOWN THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ASTHMA
IF YOU SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION, LIE AND JOT DOWN THAT YOU DID NOT
IF YOU HAD SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T
IF YOU HAVE SEEN A COUNSELLOR OR PSYCHIATRIST OR WHATEVER IN THE PAST LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T
IF YOU HAVE HAD A DISLOCATION OR BROKEN BONES IN THE PAST LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T (ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO OR DID SPORT LIKE RUGBY OR SOCCER)
IF WEAR SUPPORTS FOR YOUR FEET, LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T
IF YOU CANNOT LIFT 25KG LIE AND SAY THAT YOU CAN
IF YOU HAVE AN STD LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T

FAILURE TO DO THE ABOVE WILL DEEM YOU TO BE CLASS FOUR LIKE ME. DO NOT BE HONEST IF YOU SUFFER OR HAVE SUFFERED FROM ANY OF THE ABOVE OR ELSE YOU WILL FAIL. BASICALLY ANSWER NO TO ALL THE QUESTIONS AND THAT YOU SUFFER FROM NO DISEASE OR IMPAIRMENT AND HAVE NEVER IN THE PAST WHATSOEVER.

For DRUGS, I recommend you don't lie as you probably will be tested on Assessment Day in the urine test. Mention though that you have stopped and was an idiot and that you have changed.

Do some IQ tests in preparation for the Aptitude test. This is explained further in the FAQ.

Research a bit about your job on defencejobs in order to make a good impression with your careers counsellor and know your reasons for joining. Be confident as well and determined.

Prepare well in writing the reasons for joining the ADF in one of your forms that was provided for you.

For Officer applicants, I can't really recommend any preparation but make sure you know the reasons why you want to be an officer and make your résumé looks really good.
Sleep well before attending the day and don't wake up late or els eyou have to wait another six months before you apply again.

On the day (DFR Parrammatta)-
The day really is a piece of piss and very boring. Before you go have a good breakfast and a warm shower and make sure you bring a notebook and pen to write stuff on and a puzzle book, sudoku, corsswords, or a newspaper as you will be waiting A LOT (each candidate each gets interviewed individually) and you will not be able to read effectively whilst the TV is on in the waiting room i.e. don't bring the novel that you reading currently on the day as you won't get much out of it unless if you are really good in focusing, and wear respectable clothing such as a suit in order to make a very good first impression. This shows that you are prepared and taking this seriously. Remember that this is a job interview.

Arrive early. There is nothing worse than making a bad first impression. Some people had to be turned away because they arrived late. They now have to wait six months in order to reapply again. When you arrive you will be asked to hand in your forms and ID to reception and asked to sit and wait. Here, introduce yourself to the people around you to break the ice. Don't keep to yourself especially if you are going for an officer position. It makes a first good impression that you are a leader and not a reclusive wanker. During your waiting periods, military personnel from DFR will be walking around. Pose them any questions that you would like answered pertaining to the ADF but don't chat with them socially as they are usually busy and doing so will make you look like a sycophant.

After everyone has handed in their forms you will be asked to see a nurse who will test your eye sight. This consists of her opening a book with pages covered in differing coloured colours representing a one digit or two digit number. You must cover one eye and say out the numbers that you see in front of you and do the same for the other eye in reverse (this is pretty stupid as you can use memory to recount the numbers in the case that one of your eyes is actually bad). You may be tested for your BMI at this stage if you are either scrawny or a very fat looking person.

You will then all be taken into a room to go over the recruitment process with the DFR guys. This consists of a slide show talking about Assessment Day and ADF policies. Feel free to jot down notes. After that is done the Psych lady will come in and talk to you about the Aptitude test. She will voice out to you your computer number to do your testing. She will say it once, so don't forget the number at that time as it will make a bad first impression. Jot it down just in case as she says it as she goes through the list very fast. You will then be taken into the computer room to do your testing.

In the computer room you are not allowed to put anything on your table. You are provided with a small green sheet of paper to do your working out together with a black pen and pencil. The Psych lady will go through how the test will be undertaken. It is recommended that you piss or go for a poo at this time before the test begins.

After the Psych lady has finished her talk and no one has asked any questions you click that your details on the computer screen are correct and start some practice questions in order to know how the program works. You may start the test at any time on your own volition. You are given 30 minutes for the first test which consists of 75 questions. Take your time with this as you are not expected to finish and it is always better to get the questions you attempted right rather than blaze through and finish the test and get most of them wrong. Not finishing the test will not hinder you not getting your job no matter what it is. I didn't finish the tests and and still got offered all the jobs available in the ADF (I completed 63 questions out 75 in general ability and 24 out of 25 in maths). Some of the abstract reasoning will require to think and find the pattern and will just not make sense as well but most of it is basic logic stuff and some just ridiculously simple.

When you finish your general ability test you are given a break and may eat or drink and come back into the room if you want. I'd recommend against this thouhg; just get it over with. You then start the maths test. This consists of 25 questions to be completed in 12 minutes. This test is not very difficult for those who have completed year 10 maths and who are doing very good in general or who are doing 2 unit and above (in fact those who are doing 3 unit and above may find it a joke). If you hate maths, you may suffer, but don't despair. More info and prep on this test is found in the FAQ.

When you are finished with the test you are to go to the waiting room and wait for the others to finish or if you're not the last person. The DFR will then talk to you and kill time by asking you how the test went. After about five minutes the results will have been known and brought to the DFR who will read out names. These names are those who have failed and didn't get a job or who did not reach a high enough score to merit them their aspired job. This part of the day is pretty heart breaking as these persons must wait six months in order to reapply again.

After that is done, each of the candidates will be interviewed individually with a careers counsellor in a closed off room in order to conduct and informal interview. They will first ask you if you have any questions. If you do, ask them now. They will then ask you questions about yourself and why you want to join the defence force which they will write down on paper. Questions are of the following nature-

Why do you want to join the Defence Force?
What are the positives/negatives of joining the Defence Force?
Are you willing to follow orders? (Answer yes to this immediately. I got a long lecture from the careers counsellor conveying the necessity to follow orders by stating that I would voice my opposition to an order I found unsound if I was an officer leading men in combat)
Why do you want to become a rifleman/combat engineer/steward etc?
What languages do you speak?

You will be asked to provide your education documents and your birth certificate which they will copy if you brought originals instead of duplicated copies. When this is done and you have no further questions you are given a sheet of paper which the careers counsellor has made showing the recommend path for you to become a member of the ADF and also a folder and some sheets of paper to help you on Assessment Day. You will then be taken to the waiting room to wait to be interviewed by the nurse in regards with your questionnaire.

In the interview room with the nurse, do not be honest with her if you have any doubts that anything in your past medical history will hinder your opportunity to join the defence force. This is especially the case if you have suffered from a MENTAL CONDITION AND HAVE TAKEN MEDICATION. DON'T MENTION IT AND LIE TO HER AND SAY THAT YOU HAVE NOT IF YOU DID OR ELSE YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY CLASSIFIED CLASS 4. For any sports injuries say that you have taken treatment and that you have recovered well or else you're class 3 or class 4 like me. If you have any problems of concern you will be requested to see a doctor. If not you're free to go and given some documents to prepare you for your assesssment day. This is the end of the session.

If you have any further questions about this day don't hesitate to ask.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For those would-be recruits reading along I offer the following.....

Here is the file.
I just went to my YOU session yesterday and passed all tests except the medical questionnaire. I have been deemed Class 4 (due to a shoulder injury I sustained last year but I am still able to appeal) therefore I am starting this thread in order to prevent another ADF aspiring applicant to not fail their session.

If you have been classified as Class 4 then that is precisely what you are. Life is what it is.

The Australian Defence Force justifiably reserves the right to make a current determination as to the structural integrity of your body to meet their needs in the defence of our country.

They have no vested interest in placing your body in a dangerous situation and they sure as hell have no interest in allowing your physical limitations placing the lives of other defence members at risk.

The safety of you and the safety of others who would be serving with you is paramount.

kittikhun said:
don't say anything anti-Australian during this session to any one even if these sentiments are strong however don't worry if you do not have an Australian accent. They will still accept you).

What a weak, pathetic, gutless attitude.

kittikhun said:
Yes, if are a numpty and say you do. Remember that they cannot possibly find information about you unless if you tell them. If you suffer from asthma, lie and say that you don't. John Edmonson VC suffered from acute asthma and he got into the CMF and later the 2nd AIF by lying and so can you.

Do not lie. Be a person of integrity. You WILL get found out. If not during DFR assessment then later throughout the recruitment process. Remember DFR is only the beginning of the process....

kittikhun said:
Do I have to do the PFA on the day?

No. The PFA for the YOU session is not being done anymore so don't bring your PT gear as stated in one of the form's papers.

You will now be asked to do a FULL fitness test prior to acceptance as a recruit.

Patience with recruits rocking up unfit to initial training has virtually evaporated. It can be a horrible experience if you lie and bullshit your way to intial training because you WILL get found out. You will get a LOT of attention from PTIs and your fellow recruits will grow VERY tired of your lack of commitment and respect for your own body....

kittikhun said:
FOR YOUR MEDICAL QUESTIONNAIRE-

IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA, LIE AND JOT DOWN THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE ASTHMA
IF YOU SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION, LIE AND JOT DOWN THAT YOU DID NOT
IF YOU HAD SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T
IF YOU HAVE SEEN A COUNSELLOR OR PSYCHIATRIST OR WHATEVER IN THE PAST LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T
IF YOU HAVE HAD A DISLOCATION OR BROKEN BONES IN THE PAST LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T (ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO OR DID SPORT LIKE RUGBY OR SOCCER)
IF WEAR SUPPORTS FOR YOUR FEET, LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T
IF YOU CANNOT LIFT 25KG LIE AND SAY THAT YOU CAN
IF YOU HAVE AN STD LIE AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T

FAILURE TO DO THE ABOVE WILL DEEM YOU TO BE CLASS FOUR LIKE ME. DO NOT BE HONEST IF YOU SUFFER OR HAVE SUFFERED FROM ANY OF THE ABOVE OR ELSE YOU WILL FAIL. BASICALLY ANSWER NO TO ALL THE QUESTIONS AND THAT YOU SUFFER FROM NO DISEASE OR IMPAIRMENT AND HAVE NEVER IN THE PAST WHATSOEVER.

The above comments are beyond pathetic. You WILL get found out. Mark my words if you get caught lying during the process (or even worse while you're a recruit) you WILL have no career.

The ADF DOES NOT WANT liars, cheats or people who have no integrity whatsoever.

We only want the best people to defend our country and we pay very close attention to your attitudes and integrity as a person. Trust is important. Joining the ADF is not a game.

YOU WILL GET WEEDED OUT SO FAST ITS NOT FUNNY. You will be on base in the morning and GONE in the afternoon if you think you can disregard direct orders or breach equity and diversity policy (for example).

To be honest the chain of command is sometimes the LEAST of your worries. If the blokes (and girls) you serve with make a determination that you are lazy, a liar, a cheat, an idiot and untrustworthy then WATCH OUT!!

kittikhun said:
For DRUGS, I recommend you don't lie as you probably will be tested on Assessment Day in the urine test. Mention though that you have stopped and was an idiot and that you have changed.

The ADF dont care. Its not a negotiation to mitigate retribution. If you fail a preliminary drug test it will get sent off for secondary analysis. If the positive result is confirmed your career is over. The ADF dont want you.

kittikhun said:
In the interview room with the nurse, do not be honest with her if you have any doubts that anything in your past medical history will hinder your opportunity to join the defence force. This is especially the case if you have suffered from a MENTAL CONDITION AND HAVE TAKEN MEDICATION. DON'T MENTION IT AND LIE TO HER AND SAY THAT YOU HAVE NOT IF YOU DID OR ELSE YOU ARE IMMEDIATELY CLASSIFIED CLASS 4. For any sports injuries say that you have taken treatment and that you have recovered well or else you're class 3 or class 4 like me. If you have any problems of concern you will be requested to see a doctor. If not you're free to go and given some documents to prepare you for your assesssment day. This is the end of the session.

^^^^^^^^ In summing up ignore almost everything this guy has to say. The ADF DOES NOT WANT YOU IF YOU LIE. If you are kind of person who bullshits your way through life without being honest about where you are at and what you are capable of achieveing and contributing to the team then THE ADF DOES NOT WANT YOU.

I can promise you that you WILL get found out during the training continuum. There are plenty of smart cookies you will meet along the way and they have SEEN IT ALL BEFORE.

Here is the advice that matters:

Be yourself. Always be true to yourself and be honest about who you are. Be courteous. Be considerate. Be open. Be genuine.

Its OK if you are a bit shy or reserved. Its also OK if you are a character and sometimes loud. Its not about trying to be the 'perfect' recruit. The ADF are looking for real people with integrity and honesty.

Dont think there is ONE formula to get accepted into the ADF. Just be yourself and enjoy the process. Remember the DFR process is only one small step along the way.......

Footnote: I was made Class 4 originally. I worked my way back to Class 1. I am proud of my integrity and proud of being a member of the ADF.

Last edited:

kittikhun

Well, I just got owned. But yes, ignore everything pertaining to medical stuff that I typed up but pay close attention to what the day consists of and the FAQ. I mainly wrote all that stuff about lying because I was kind of pissed off about being classed class four for my honesty on the questionnaire in relation to an injury which I have recovered from. It was cathartic really especially in registering the costs my parents now have to pay for me to put up an appeal that I incurred on myself for my bloody probity (over $300 for having to see an orthopaedic surgeon referral and having to get x-rays and ultrasound). In the end is being honest and having my parents pay $300 out of their own pockets (my parents are immigrant factory workers by the way who earn less than $1000 combined per week to support a family) to show that nothing is wrong with you (which my x-rays and ultrasound have shown) worth it? I think not and I do not want somebody else in my situation to repeat my mistakes especially for financial and time reasons. I was also pissed off about how the MO classed me class four for mild depression that I was afflicted with last year that I did not take medication for. These blokes just don't understand mental illnesses and just simplify things too much. If you're going to be honest and tick the box MAKE SURE THAT YOU BRING SUBSTANTIATION WITH SHOWING THAT YOU HAVE RECOVERED. In my opinion as well, lying about a negligent injury that you know doesn't affect you the least physically or mentally doesn't mean that you're a cheat or a liar; it shows that you're determined and it saves you time. No bloody shoulder dislocation is going to stop me from joining the army. However, just don't lie about something conspicuous like a crooked leg or something that you know will affect you whilst training or on the job.

Cheers.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something to remember is that your honesty is required because if you lie about an injury or depression or whatever and it causes problems down the road during your active service, it could potentially endanger the lives of yourself and the people who are counting on you. I know you mentioned that your injury/depression doesn't affect you but here's the thing: you're not in a position to know how it could affect you in the pursuit of your duties, because you're neither a doctor nor a soldier (yet). So even if you feel discouraged, remember that questions like these are asked for a good reason.

By being honest you did 100% the right thing - even if it ends up with you being a bit out of pocket, or sets your enlistment back in some way. It's also not the last challenge you're going to face if you intend on pursuing a career in the military, so it's probably best to just take it on the chin and work your arse off to show them you're capable of doing your duties.

davh12

qldboy,

Don't listen to that recruiter....he's blowing sunshine up your a$$. Go to a different recruiting station. I've been in the Infantry almost 15 years..........it's a young man's job, but have some balls. Light or Stryker Infantry is a good route if your're into the SF thing. SF recruiters are always looking for folks to go SF around our area. That recruiter is trying to turn a higher prospect..You are a prospect........I was a recruiter once, but not by choice....did not last long there and went back the line. You probably have a high ASVAB score and he would get more "Atta boys" and a 4 day week-end if he gets you into a tech job. The Infantry is always open, if all you're looking for is to be a "Rifleman". Spend some time in thought over it. They say you can go to college and all, but in the Infantry, they'll tell you "mission first", so if you miss more than 3 classes due to a field exercise, you get stuck with the bill and no credit for it. Being a grunt has it's perks, being hard core and all that, but think about long term...............where do you want to be in 10 years.........still humping a ruck sack in the mountains with bad knees or doing high tech stuff and moving further forward in your life. Grunts are not dumb or stupid. You have to think on your feet, keep up with technology changes in weapons and electronic stuff with regard to "instruments" used in our job. If you fail or step on your "crank" people get hurt or die. Think over it, but find a better recruiter. It's your life...not the recruiters'

Regards,

Dave

Hello all,

qldboy

For those would-be recruits reading along I offer the following.....

If you have been classified as Class 4 then that is precisely what you are. Life is what it is.

The Australian Defence Force justifiably reserves the right to make a current determination as to the structural integrity of your body to meet their needs in the defence of our country.

They have no vested interest in placing your body in a dangerous situation and they sure as hell have no interest in allowing your physical limitations placing the lives of other defence members at risk.

The safety of you and the safety of others who would be serving with you is paramount.

What a weak, pathetic, gutless attitude.

Do not lie. Be a person of integrity. You WILL get found out. If not during DFR assessment then later throughout the recruitment process. Remember DFR is only the beginning of the process....

You will now be asked to do a FULL fitness test prior to acceptance as a recruit.

Patience with recruits rocking up unfit to initial training has virtually evaporated. It can be a horrible experience if you lie and bullshit your way to intial training because you WILL get found out. You will get a LOT of attention from PTIs and your fellow recruits will grow VERY tired of your lack of commitment and respect for your own body....

The above comments are beyond pathetic. You WILL get found out. Mark my words if you get caught lying during the process (or even worse while you're a recruit) you WILL have no career.

The ADF DOES NOT WANT liars, cheats or people who have no integrity whatsoever.

We only want the best people to defend our country and we pay very close attention to your attitudes and integrity as a person. Trust is important. Joining the ADF is not a game.

YOU WILL GET WEEDED OUT SO FAST ITS NOT FUNNY. You will be on base in the morning and GONE in the afternoon if you think you can disregard direct orders or breach equity and diversity policy (for example).

To be honest the chain of command is sometimes the LEAST of your worries. If the blokes (and girls) you serve with make a determination that you are lazy, a liar, a cheat, an idiot and untrustworthy then WATCH OUT!!

The ADF dont care. Its not a negotiation to mitigate retribution. If you fail a preliminary drug test it will get sent off for secondary analysis. If the positive result is confirmed your career is over. The ADF dont want you.

^^^^^^^^ In summing up ignore almost everything this guy has to say. The ADF DOES NOT WANT YOU IF YOU LIE. If you are kind of person who bullshits your way through life without being honest about where you are at and what you are capable of achieveing and contributing to the team then THE ADF DOES NOT WANT YOU.

I can promise you that you WILL get found out during the training continuum. There are plenty of smart cookies you will meet along the way and they have SEEN IT ALL BEFORE.

Here is the advice that matters:

Be yourself. Always be true to yourself and be honest about who you are. Be courteous. Be considerate. Be open. Be genuine.

Its OK if you are a bit shy or reserved. Its also OK if you are a character and sometimes loud. Its not about trying to be the 'perfect' recruit. The ADF are looking for real people with integrity and honesty.

Dont think there is ONE formula to get accepted into the ADF. Just be yourself and enjoy the process. Remember the DFR process is only one small step along the way.......

Footnote: I was made Class 4 originally. I worked my way back to Class 1. I am proud of my integrity and proud of being a member of the ADF.
I have nothing to hide really, so that sort of thing wont be a problem. thanks:)

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
kittikhun said:
Firstly, sorry for posting all that medical stuff on the ADF; I only desired to help someone not to repeat my mistakes especially in regards to an an injury that they believe will not affect them in service and that is not in their medical records. I wanted to save their time and not be in the predicament I am now in.

Anyway, for your medical appeal whom did you get reports from? I've only got an x-ray report and a orthopaedic report saying that my shoulder is fine and does not warrant surgery. However, I am scared that this would not be enough to convince the CMO that I am fine. The teacher who coached me for volleyball is refusing to write a statement on my current situation stating that shoulder is OK because the injury happened at another school. However, when the injury occurred the first time at school I didn't tell anyone since I believed the injury was trivial and normal until it happened again at home. Whom do you think I should go to now? Should I just send in an appeal with my 2 documents? My injury is a transient subluxation on the left shoulder. It only happens for 5 seconds before it goes back in by itself. It has happened 5 times with the last time being in December of last year.
The first thing you really need to come to terms with and just accept is that it is not about what you think or feel about the condition of your body. I understand what you are saying and I have been there.

The ADF needs to come to terms with the state of your body in the context of their specific needs.

So from that point of view you cannot be in a position to dictate to them that 'you are fine'. They dont deal in anecdotal evidence. They will take a balanced view based on the best available professional opinion in the context of their (military) operational needs.

As for your procedural questions. I assume they have sent you a letter stating your application cannot proceed until you provide certain supporting medical tests/written evidence?

This is standard and in no way means you have been rejected. They just want a closer look. Simply follow the instructions outlined in the letter you received. Give them everything they ask for. You dont need to provide anything further. However you may wish to add your own words by way of an introductory letter.