Whats going on?

1st_combat_comm

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I have seen some things that are worrysum and i wanted to get other opinions.

1) Inteligence Official states to cangress that the Russians and Chinese are spying at cold war levels

2) Russia tests new bomb

3) Russian Bombers resume cold war patrols in the artic and pacific

4) There was a story about a year ago about the chinese navy conducting Amphib landing training in Central America. I'm sorry I'm not allowed for some reason to post the links to these stories but most are within the last 2 or 3 months

My question is whats going on? Also keep in mind that the Russians also are starting to lay claim to oil fields in the artic about the same time they started new patrols. The Russians are upset about the missle shield plans and possible aggression towards Iran which for them is close to home.

Any thoughts or other pieces of the puzzle I'm missing?

Grand Danois

Entertainer
What's going on? Easy. Upcoming elections for the Duma and Presidency in Russia.

1) Of course.

2) The Russian FAE is meant for intimidation - it is an effective tool for killing civilians - and to work minds prior to the Russian elections. The bomb itself is far from anything exceptional. Just a very big FAE.

Btw, there may be some inconsistencies wrt to that bomb:

Russian Bomb Claims Questionable, Expert Says

3) Just as with the bomb, this is posturing. Primarily for domestic consumption. To paraphrase: "The strength of Russia has been restored", "the world should fear Russian power", "The military functions, therefore the state and also the nation functions". It is about working perceptions. Upcoming elections.

4) Dunno about that... Is it relevant?

Russia has signed (and ratified?) the UN Convention of the Law of the Seas. Russia has accepted that its claims go to independent committee and ultimately to the Hague. No probs. Again it gives the impression of Russia asserting itself, though there is nothing extraordinary about it.

Russian elections is what there is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

merocaine

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I have seen some things that are worrysum....
Russia and China have a secret plan to invade the lower states of America with the help of Hugo Chavez and seize all the Oil in the Gulf, that is whats going on. :D

USNavySEAL3310

It isn't uncommon to see Russia flex its muscles. It did in the old days, it still does a little today. I know they even march their troops in front of the U.S. embassy in Moscow when they hold their annual military parade.

Point is, as Tom Clancy once put it in one of his movies, Russia enjoys "daring the world to stop it". I personally am not too worried about these developments. I would very much like to see Russia and the U.S. (and the rest of the world) get along more.

What you mentioned is simply Russia doing normal tests and patrols of its boarders. They don't have a lot of surveillance technology the U.S. has so they have to resort to having planes do patrols instead of using satellites or advanced radar systems (not my strong area so I'm unsure of this one). Russia tested a bomb, new technology. The reason people are worried about this is because they consider it a threat, maybe reminding them of the old days during the Cold War. I don't think they need to be eye-balled by everyone when they conduct some test or do some patrols.

And intelligence gathering is or should be that active/aggressive. It's intelligence, it's a deterrent to future attacks. They have to be aggressive to do their job.

Just my thoughts. Adieu.

chunga1

i'm going to go with gd on this. putin is stirring the population so the hard liners win the election imo

aimans

i'm going to go with gd on this. putin is stirring the population so the hard liners win the election imo
exactly, these russian military activities are nothin but for political gains. putin wants his side to win elections so why not show the world that russian military might is present,