War, Japan vs. Russia

gmlevan

The other day I was watching the History Channel, and the program mentioned a small conflict between Russia and Japan about two years or so before WW2 started. The conflict was fought in Mongolia, Japan suffered heavy losses. Does anyone have and more information about this conflict?

Snayke

Yeh, I only know about the naval war they had where Japan won and the landgrab by the USSR at the end of WW2. :p

turin

gmlevan said:
The other day I was watching the History Channel, and the program mentioned a small conflict between Russia and Japan about two years or so before WW2 started. The conflict was fought in Mongolia, Japan suffered heavy losses. Does anyone have and more information about this conflict?
This is referring to a small scale conflict between Japan and Russia from 1938-39. It was actually a border dispute with Japan trying to expand its sphere of influence from its protectorate of Manchukuo into russian territory. Small engagements took place in 1938 with japanese troops advancing towards two russian held cities. However, after some fighting the russians were able to reinforce their troops and the conflict was ended by request of the japanese emperor.
The disputes gained new momentum in 1939, when mongolian cavalry allegedly violated the borders to Manchukuo. After small skirmishing and reinforcements of the japanese Guandong-Army the russians devised a plan to seize the disputed area permanently. Subsequently russian and mongolian forces with about 50.000 troops attacked the japanese defenders, numbering somewhat over 30.000 men. After about ten days of battle the Russians broke through the japanse defense lines. Two japanese divisions where captured, the Japanese had casualties of approx. 8500 troops, russian and mongolian losses totalled for about 6.800 and additionally 1.500 MIA.
This engagement is thought by observers to be the major reason why japanese troops did not start invading Russia after its ally Germany launched its own invasion in 1941, very much to the disappointment of Hitler.

driftder

turin said:
This is referring to a small scale conflict between Japan and Russia from 1938-39. It was actually a border dispute with Japan trying to expand its sphere of influence from its protectorate of Manchukuo into russian territory. Small engagements took place in 1938 with japanese troops advancing towards two russian held cities. However, after some fighting the russians were able to reinforce their troops and the conflict was ended by request of the japanese emperor.
The disputes gained new momentum in 1939, when mongolian cavalry allegedly violated the borders to Manchukuo. After small skirmishing and reinforcements of the japanese Guandong-Army the russians devised a plan to seize the disputed area permanently. Subsequently russian and mongolian forces with about 50.000 troops attacked the japanese defenders, numbering somewhat over 30.000 men. After about ten days of battle the Russians broke through the japanse defense lines. Two japanese divisions where captured, the Japanese had casualties of approx. 8500 troops, russian and mongolian losses totalled for about 6.800 and additionally 1.500 MIA.
This engagement is thought by observers to be the major reason why japanese troops did not start invading Russia after its ally Germany launched its own invasion in 1941, very much to the disappointment of Hitler.
bravo...but like Sherlock would to Watson, "details, Watson, details!". So mind if you can throw up a link or two, so that I can bloodhound the subject? Much obliged.

In case I sound overbearing, I apologise in advance but I do have a bug-bear for Asia related conflicts, being the region where I am stuck in :p:.

turin

Well, for starters there is of course the Wikipedia or rather the entry on the most important battle during the conflict, to be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Halhin_Gol

Yeah, I know, its the Wikipedia and everyone over there can write what he/she wants or thinks to be correct. But still its some good source for further on- and offline reference. So there is another link (which I found via the wiki) on the battle and historical context here:
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/drea2/drea2.asp

There is quite a comprehensive write-up on the border-conflicts on the german wiki, however I guess, thats rather negligible around here. ;) Still there was another link to a rather short summary in english, giving further information on bibliography. Link can be found here:
http://www.worldwar2database.com/html/Nomonhan.htm

You may check out the literature there, esp. the book by Alvin D. Coox. Although I didnt read it, he seems to be some kind of expert in this field, since the army.mil-analysis mentions his work in its bibliography as well.

Hope that helps.

gmlevan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot guys for the links and the info. I have been trying to find information on that confilict for almost a month. :)