Usaf pj

carman1877

I wanted to know if anyone had any good websites or pictures of PJs, because i have been to several websites and have found very little. I also heard that they recieve the best training and are one of the most elite fighting groups is this true? Also I would like if anyone could post something about the gear they use.

Thanks

Websites I have already tried:
wikipedia.com
pararescue.com
and many others

riksavage

Banned Member
I wanted to know if anyone had any good websites or pictures of PJs, because i have been to several websites and have found very little. I also heard that they recieve the best training and are one of the most elite fighting groups is this true? Also I would like if anyone could post something about the gear they use.

Thanks

wikipedia.com
pararescue.com
and many others
One assumes you are referring to the medically trained USAF personnel who jump-in to rescue downed aircraft personnel? They are regarded as tier two assets, and have to undergo a form of selection before completing both medical and free-fall training. I once went to a reunion in Virginia Beach in 1997 and had a beer with a PJ. The reason we ended up talking was because he had a very strong British accent, his mother was American and he had joined the USAF and ended up as a PJ. They don't get the same amount of media attention as their more famous Navy and Army SF equivalents, but they are considered invaluable and key morale booster. If I recall correctly they are trained to jump with dog's who are used to track the downed / wounded pilots when on the ground.

carman1877

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for that info, I never heard that they jump with dogs but that is a very interesting fact. Do you by any chance know if the dogs are strapped to them or if they have their own chute?

I just read on another site that USAF Pararescue are only support units and not even on a tier, is this true? Also heard that out of every 100 recruits that apply for USAF Pararescue only 10 or less make it, that is less than the amount that Navy SEAL recruits that make it, does this mean that USAF Pararescue training is harder?

riksavage

Banned Member
Thanks for that info, I never heard that they jump with dogs but that is a very interesting fact. Do you by any chance know if the dogs are strapped to them or if they have their own chute?

I just read on another site that USAF Pararescue are only support units and not even on a tier, is this true? Also heard that out of every 100 recruits that apply for USAF Pararescue only 10 or less make it, that is less than the amount that Navy SEAL recruits that make it, does this mean that USAF Pararescue training is harder?
I'm no US SF expert and can only go on hearsay. I understand the dogs will be strapped to the front of the jumper. A lone dog will not be able to steer his chute or control himself in freefall, plus unless you fitted his rig with a biometric opening device he would pile-in. Also the last thing you would want is to spend valuable time hunting down your dog on the DZ.

The PJ's are very well trained para-medics and require a high degree of initiative to be able to operate in hostile environments to recover lost or downed personnel. I understand they form the critical supporting SAR element to any SF operation, being on stand-by to recover and treat wounded personnel on the ground until a helo extraction can be arranged. I'm not aware of the statistical pass / failure rate, or whether (like Delta) you have to have served time in conventional or another SF unit (Ranger for example) before applying to undertake selection, Unlike the SEALS who can opt for BUDS straight from civi street. I'm positive the local recruiting office will be able to provide all the necessary information.

carman1877

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense about the dogs being strapped to them, somewhat like how urban rescue teams strap dogs to them while rapelling. Thanks for the info, about the training.

I saw a video online showing the equipment that the PJs carry now does every one carry an oxygen tank, and medkit or does one soldier carry the oxygen and one the medkit?

also riksavage I think that some of ex SEALs or delta join the USAF Pararescue to still serve but not to always be in dangerous scenarios.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
PJ's are the SF of the USAF. Their mission is to rescue to downed airmen.

Tier 2 doesn't have anything to do with their ability or expertise and has more to do with where they fit into the command structure. Not to be taken as literal but without a downed airman they don't have a mission and therefore are not a major command ala Army SF or Navy SEALs as an example but rather serve as detachments to larger organizations. They are definately considered special forces and fall under SOFCOM IIRC.

PJ's are trained to rescue in any environment. This may mean they go in by helicopter and get lowered by a hoist (to ground or water) which is most common. They are also trained to rescue aircrew that may have been shot down way behind enemy territory which is one scenario that would require them to HAHO or HALO in. They don't always jump with a chute at high altitude, I think going in on a hoist is more typical but I'm not a PJ and wouldn't say which they do more of or by how much the point is, they have numerous methods of getting to a downed airman.

I don't think you intended for it to sound like this but implying that other SF would simply become PJ's to take it easy because it's less dangerous might warrant a stomping from a PJ. Becoming a PJ is no cake walk.

Lastly, Delta is not a 100% Army deal, they have/had PJs serving in Delta.

dragonfire

Thanks

wikipedia.com
pararescue.com
and many others
I guess wikipedia finaly updated the USAF Pararescue details

There you go - United States Air Force Pararescue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
DF

haveblue128

Have you tried the official US Airforce website?
Spetsznaz is right. That is the best info source that you will find on USAF-PJs. Beyond that, as suggested by others, the Spec Ops Community does a good deal of x-training. Regardless of the color of your uniform, they work together in training and even combat situations. The mission determines the team's constituant members, in a number of cases. Conversly, these individual units each have specialties. The bottom line on your quere is that I would not believe a much of what you read on blogs. True operators will never tell you what they do for a living. Lots of people on the net will tell you they are retired Spec Ops-don't believe them. The only people who talk are those who havent done the job.

dave_kiwi

Verified Defense Pro
PEDROS - Michael Yon

Have a read of this:

Pedros

Gives you some ideas of what USAF PJ's do, the equipment etc. Quite an eye-openner to be honest.