Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Yuma_17_HH-1_1552-1.jpg

Yuma_17_MV-22_2062-1.jpg

Yuma_17_AH-1Z_4406-1.jpg

Yuma_17_F-35B_4899-1.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Usa

This is a discussion on Usa within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Thread for broader US Gov issues...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 14th, 2017   #1
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Usa

Thread for broader US Gov issues

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C

Last edited by Preceptor; January 17th, 2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Title
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017   #2
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Bill Gertz is part of a mil strategy discussion group I'm in. He was an editor for the Wash Post and has now started up the Washington Beacon with some others.

This one is an op-ed from one of their contributors

Lawmakers Vote to Allow Mattis to Lead Pentagon

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Old January 14th, 2017   #3
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
Bill Gertz is part of a mil strategy discussion group I'm in. He was an editor for the Wash Post and has now started up the Washington Beacon with some others.

This one is an op-ed from one of their contributors

Lawmakers Vote to Allow Mattis to Lead Pentagon
I think that Mattis will be a good choice as SecDef. I've been reading a bit about him and he is a remarkable man with a great following amongst the Marines, not just because he is a marine but because he's a marines marine, tells it like it is and was always concerned about his marines. He was known as the Monk in the Corp; never married either and like the article said very widely read.
Old January 14th, 2017   #4
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Talk of New candidate for SecNav

https://news.usni.org/2017/01/13/tru...ier-secnav-job
Old January 14th, 2017   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Talk of New candidate for SecNav

Talk of Trump picking a Financier as Forbes

Two sons from USNS, on board at USNA and Institute

https://news.usni.org/2017/01/13/tru...ier-secnav-job
Old January 14th, 2017   #6
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Mattis no doubt is well qualified for the job. The problem is whether he'll be in sync with the new President and the new Secretary of State. Trump has announced he's doing away with the Iranian nuke deal and has indicated that he might make changes to the One China policy. The world's already an unstable place, the last thing we need is more trouble in the Middle East and trouble with China.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017   #7
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
U.S., Indian Officials Set to Discuss Aircraft Carrier Design

https://news.usni.org/2015/06/01/u-s...design-in-june

although of relevance to the Ind Navy, am posting here as source is driven by US involvement

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Old January 14th, 2017   #8
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
I think that Mattis will be a good choice as SecDef. I've been reading a bit about him and he is a remarkable man with a great following amongst the Marines, not just because he is a marine but because he's a marines marine, tells it like it is and was always concerned about his marines. He was known as the Monk in the Corp; never married either and like the article said very widely read.

When asked about protections for LBGTQ troops by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand:

"Frankly, senator, I've never cared much about two consenting adults and who they go to bed with, I'm concerned with their lethality."

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Old January 14th, 2017   #9
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
When asked about protections for LBGTQ troops by Senator Kirsten Gillibrand:

"Frankly, senator, I've never cared much about two consenting adults and who they go to bed with, I'm concerned with their lethality."
Yep, and that's the way it should be. Quite a polite version of how he would normally phrase it as well
Old January 15th, 2017   #10
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
Mattis no doubt is well qualified for the job. The problem is whether he'll be in sync with the new President and the new Secretary of State. Trump has announced he's doing away with the Iranian nuke deal and has indicated that he might make changes to the One China policy. The world's already an unstable place, the last thing we need is more trouble in the Middle East and trouble with China.
IMO the incoming American President has surrounded himself with a very capable Cabinet. again, IMO, I don't think US policy can be much worse than the disjointed, hapless policy of the past 8 years that has created a vacuum in multiple strategic areas of the world. Experienced leaders like Mattis and Flynn will provide solid direction vs the inexperienced (mainly) politically motivated inexperienced appointees of the past administration.
The US press continues to sharpshoot every move vigorously as the are still smarting from the loss in November. Perhaps before they, and everyone else for that matter, condemn the President Elect's actions they should see what actually takes place first.
Old January 16th, 2017   #11
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
The US press continues to sharpshoot every move vigorously as the are still smarting from the loss in November. Perhaps before they, and everyone else for that matter, condemn the President Elect's actions they should see what actually takes place first.
the litmus begins when he starts the real job, for a number of reasons, he needs to succeed otherwise he will be seen as the architect of the decline of the US and the corruption of elements of accountability etc....

I seriously have misgivings about his treatment of the INT community - their job is to protect the US, their job is not to protect the institution of the presidency, or even to protect the president. His behaviour towards them just to protect the narrative about him getting elected has been appalling

I wish someone would chuck his damn phone in potomac.

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Old January 16th, 2017   #12
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger25 View Post
IMO the incoming American President has surrounded himself with a very capable Cabinet. again, IMO, I don't think US policy can be much worse than the disjointed, hapless policy of the past 8 years that has created a vacuum in multiple strategic areas of the world. Experienced leaders like Mattis and Flynn will provide solid direction vs the inexperienced (mainly) politically motivated inexperienced appointees of the past administration.
You are a very positive soul. Most of his cabinet position look more like he's putting an alcoholic in charge of the bar. I don't find very much coherent or comforting coming from the President Elect, especially regarding strategic issues. Unfortunately I am reminded of the saying 'A fish rots from the head'.
cdxbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017   #13
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxbow View Post
You are a very positive soul. Most of his cabinet position look more like he's putting an alcoholic in charge of the bar. I don't find very much coherent or comforting coming from the President Elect, especially regarding strategic issues. Unfortunately I am reminded of the saying 'A fish rots from the head'.
I more or less share yours and GF''s concerns about Trump. Hillary would have been Obama 2.0 and that would been as the Donald likes to say, a disaster. I guess we will find out pretty soon how this is going to play out. I guess a sell off on Wall Street will be our first clue.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017   #14
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
If he does 50% of what he promised, expect 2007-9 revisited. It will take 3, 4 years for this to occur, I suspect. Example: 4-5% growth rate will produce massive inflation once the labor market is brought to full employment, once that occurs, high rates coupled with debt, and you have a real problem. Just my .02.

Art
2007yellow430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017   #15
Defense Aficionado
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Mattis has described Iran as the most ''destabilising force in the Middle East'' - whether he really means what he says or because it's politically correct to say this is the question. Sure, the Iranians are no angels [they've long meddled in Afghanistan, Lebbanon and Iraq but so have others] but the same applies to all the players in the region, including the U.S. All implement policies and undertake actions in line with their respective national interests; regardless if it's detrimental to others. Viewed objectively it's Saudi that is the most ''destabilising'' - instead of helping defeat IS Saudi got involved in Yemen, exports its Wahhabi ideology [adopted by IS] and has been less than helpful in clamping down on funding from private individuals and groups to IS.

The Iranians at least were on the ground in Iraq way before others to help stem the IS tide and have [way before September 11th] cooperated with the U.S. in Afghanistan in efforts to defeat the Talibs. American/U.S. relations will play a big part in determining how stable the region will be in the coming years and countries like Saudi, Qatar, the U.A.E. and Israel will welcome any further strains in the U.S/Iran relationship. Hardliners in Iran who are already accusing the leadership of selling out to the Americans will welcome new new U.S. administration taking harder line on Iran.
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: