Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Usa

This is a discussion on Usa within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by gf0012-aust I wish someone would chuck his damn phone in potomac. Not enough. He has bots (presumably ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 17th, 2017   #16
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
I wish someone would chuck his damn phone in potomac.
Not enough. He has bots (presumably set up for him, not by him) generating huge numbers of approving tweets, & apparently, staff members reacting to them. There are Twitter accounts which do nothing but re-tweet his tweets, or re-tweet the re-tweets, often with added approving comments - & his account re-tweets some of those re-tweets, even when he's obviously doing something else, such as giving a speech.

It's very clumsily done. Some of them are traceable to him. Batches of them were created with Trump corporate logos. Many are one-offs, presumably to create an illusion of larger numbers. There appears to be software which is registering Twitter accounts, re-tweeting his tweets, then closing those accounts, in bulk.

The Twitter address of a woman in the UK named Ivanka was accidentally included in a re-tweet by an apparently dummy account (name of a person with no other online presence found, despite supposedly being a US doctor, no previous tweets, etc.). She's been bombarded with traffic since. Attempts to contact the re-tweeter elicited a response: the account was deleted.

Yet another reason to worry about what Trump's going to do. A big operation to boost him, apparently meant to be surreptitious, but done very crudely & clumsily so it's bloody obvious what it is..
Old January 22nd, 2017   #17
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
"Alternate Facts"

Mr Trump continues to exhibit a playful regard for the truth, on this occasion with respect to how much smaller the crowd was at his inauguration than Mr Obama. It did bring the lovely phrase "Alternate Facts" into the public domain. Sadly this may be the phrase that characterises his administration, which is disturbing. While you can get away with telling porkers to your believers, it doesn't cut it so well in the real world with a critical audience. How he is going to establish any trust with the electorate when he seemingly can't tell the truth about anything, even as simple as crowd numbers.

Perhaps there is a bigger concern, that the administration may be making significant decisions based on its "Alternate Facts", which is potentially terrifying.

There is also a strong authoritarian streak in "Alternate Facts" alone, ie you will believe what we tell you. Doesn't take much to see him becoming a despot.
Old January 23rd, 2017   #18
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxbow View Post
Mr Trump continues to exhibit a playful regard for the truth, on this occasion with respect to how much smaller the crowd was at his inauguration than Mr Obama. It did bring the lovely phrase "Alternate Facts" into the public domain. Sadly this may be the phrase that characterises his administration, which is disturbing. While you can get away with telling porkers to your believers, it doesn't cut it so well in the real world with a critical audience. How he is going to establish any trust with the electorate when he seemingly can't tell the truth about anything, even as simple as crowd numbers.

Perhaps there is a bigger concern, that the administration may be making significant decisions based on its "Alternate Facts", which is potentially terrifying.

There is also a strong authoritarian streak in "Alternate Facts" alone, ie you will believe what we tell you. Doesn't take much to see him becoming a despot.
No idea why they had to comment on it anyway, he seems to thing it's some sort of ratings war or something.

You don't need to be Einstein to work out the crowds would be smaller when this inauguration would only be a foot note in history compared to Obama being the 1st Black President that was all ways in his favour.
Old January 23rd, 2017   #19
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdxbow View Post
While you can get away with telling porkers to your believers, it doesn't cut it so well in the real world with a critical audience. How he is going to establish any trust with the electorate when he seemingly can't tell the truth about anything, even as simple as crowd size.
The fact is US politics is so polarized that neither side gives a rat's a$$ about establishing trust with the other side's share of the electorate. As for truth, truth from pollies is an oxymoron.
Old January 26th, 2017   #20
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Trump plan tax 20% Mexico goods which ultimately is pay by US consumers

Seem like trade war is coming

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.1f0869affa26
Old January 26th, 2017   #21
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
and apparently the entire senior admin at State has resigned as of Wed.

op-ed in wash post

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Old January 26th, 2017   #22
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:

op-ed in wash post
It sounds bad, then you hear the details, gets worse. It wasn't even top story for the day. Then you combine that information with other information. I had hoped that there would be enough republican stability behind Trump to secure these key non-political roles.

Julie Bishop tells President Donald Trump that Asia wants 'more US leadership, not less'

There seems to be a widening gap between what should be happening and what is happening. The Trump administration are going to have a difficult time getting on top of some of this.
Old January 26th, 2017   #23
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
I was surprised that the crowd Trump addressed at the CIA appeared to be cheering and applauding loudly in the video I saw. That is until I read an account that Trump's and Pompeo's party occupied the first 3 rows of seats.
'Bizarre' is too kind a word to describe his performance at CIA HQ.
Old January 26th, 2017   #24
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colay1 View Post
I was surprised that the crowd Trump addressed at the CIA appeared to be cheering and applauding loudly in the video I saw. That is until I read an account that Trump's and Pompeo's party occupied the first 3 rows of seats.
'Bizarre' is too kind a word to describe his performance at CIA HQ.
Life is truly stranger than fiction. If you wrote a novel describing Mr Trumps campaign, election and his continuing behaviour as POTUS, people would read it and not find it believable. We are all in for an interesting ride.
Old January 27th, 2017   #25
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponwh View Post
Trump plan tax 20% Mexico goods which ultimately is pay by US consumers

Seem like trade war is coming
Yeah ... I wonder how long it will take before the average US taxpayer realises that the 20% goods tax will actually be paid by American consumers and not the Mexicans themselves.

Not only that but most of the big companies that make stuff in Mexico are US owned.

If there is a trade war I can tell you now that America will lose badly. At the end of the day you simply can't compete with cheap foreign labour.
Old January 27th, 2017   #26
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauritz View Post
Yeah ... I wonder how long it will take before the average US taxpayer realises that the 20% goods tax will actually be paid by American consumers and not the Mexicans themselves.

Not only that but most of the big companies that make stuff in Mexico are US owned.

If there is a trade war I can tell you now that America will lose badly. At the end of the day you simply can't compete with cheap foreign labour.
But if the tariff cost was so high and the consumers demaned its either pay the tarrif or manufacture back in the US, either why the USconsume pays the high price
Old January 27th, 2017   #27
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t68 View Post
But if the tariff cost was so high and the consumers demaned its either pay the tarrif or manufacture back in the US, either why the USconsume pays the high price
The consumer will pay a very high price and at the end of it all they will have a wall that I suspect won't be all that effective anyway.

Building a wall without first doing research to determine whether or not it would be an effective solution is madness. As long as Mexicans have access to shovels and ladders I suspect a wall isn't going to do much to stop anyone determined to cross the border.
Old January 27th, 2017   #28
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauritz View Post
The consumer will pay a very high price and at the end of it all they will have a wall that I suspect won't be all that effective anyway.

Building a wall without first doing research to determine whether or not it would be an effective solution is madness. As long as Mexicans have access to shovels and ladders I suspect a wall isn't going to do much to stop anyone determined to cross the border.
Agree on the wall situation not much if the tunnel again,if the manufacturing comes back Trump can show that as a win, bu it also means that the wall itself wil cost the US taxpayer irrespective if the wall is built or not.

I think Trump is caught in a problem of his own making in regards to the wall, if he dosn't follow thru its ammunition for the oppsition in the future.
Old January 27th, 2017   #29
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:

op-ed in wash post
First the Tillerson appointment. Now this. Trump making sure no obstruction at the Stae Department when he unilaterally lifts Russian sanctions.
Old January 27th, 2017   #30
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
a bit of panic coming out of Texas - both Congressional sides of the political divide are saying that if a trade war starts with Mexico it will drive the state into a recession and eventually the D word

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

gf a.k.a. ROBOPIMP T5C
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: