URGENT- Syria and Israel

stryker NZ

okay guys dont jump down my throat if im wrong here but someone i know has just got a message from one of his cousins in Israel saying that he just got a call from his CO stating there are reports that syrian tanks are about to cross the boarder can someone help me confirm this i know people there and im starting to get worried and want to warn them

renjer

Israeli intel is one of the best. If Syrians tanks are actually on the move the Israelis would have already picked on it and warned their citizens.

umair

Peace Enforcer
Nothing of the sort reported in the media uptill now. I'm trying to get through to my dad's cousin who is a starred officer in our ISI and may know something about the shady aspects of this whole fraccass.

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
i don't think syrians would take such a risk for now. IDF are yet to make any move that can be consider as an all out attack into syria. hell, they don't even move into lebanon even after several serious attacks launch by hezbllah deep inside israel territory. al that we've seen so far were airstrike and naval blockades. everyone will play it carefully. there'll be small skirmish as each side evaluate the others strength and weakness before they launch any action of such immense scale.

MilSpex

stryker NZ said:
okay guys dont jump down my throat if im wrong here but someone i know has just got a message from one of his cousins in Israel saying that he just got a call from his CO stating there are reports that syrian tanks are about to cross the boarder can someone help me confirm this i know people there and im starting to get worried and want to warn them
If you`re right you might be one of the first to have broken the news because none of the mainstream news centres has mentioned it.

If Isreali intell didnt pick this up earlier, then US satelites would have and Israel would have been informed, before they cross wouldn`t they need to take some time grouping up/building up at a staging area and this would have been detected?

fylr71

stryker NZ said:
Let's assume that the Syrians are about to attempt an attack let by an armored spearhead. They would be completely decimated by the Israelis. The Syrians have about 1500 t-72 tanks, about 1000 t-62, and about 2000 t-55. The Israelis have about 1800 Merkava mk. II, III, and IV which are far superior to anything the Syrians have the Israeli's also have another 1800 or so upgraded M-60s. Besides the Merkava, Israel also has tank busting helicopters including 40 AH-64 and even a few new AH-64D plus about 50 AH-1. The Israelis also have the ability to establish air superiority in a very short time. Isreal has about 350 F-15s and F-16s compared to Syria's only modern fighter the Mig-29 of which they have about 50-60. In the case of a war, Syria would be decimated.

contedicavour

fylr71 said:
Let's assume that the Syrians are about to attempt an attack let by an armored spearhead. They would be completely decimated by the Israelis. The Syrians have about 1500 t-72 tanks, about 1000 t-62, and about 2000 t-55. The Israelis have about 1800 Merkava mk. II, III, and IV which are far superior to anything the Syrians have the Israeli's also have another 1800 or so upgraded M-60s. Besides the Merkava, Israel also has tank busting helicopters including 40 AH-64 and even a few new AH-64D plus about 50 AH-1. The Israelis also have the ability to establish air superiority in a very short time. Isreal has about 350 F-15s and F-16s compared to Syria's only modern fighter the Mig-29 of which they have about 50-60. In the case of a war, Syria would be decimated.
I agree. Syria should rather play the victim and wait for Israeli attacks. Its armed forces may stand a chance (although very weak) if they remain in defence. They don't stand a chance if they attack, especially against the fortified positions of the Golan heights.

stryker NZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks guys im starting to hope this is a false call but what would happen if syria did attack would iran help as well

Black Legion

As flyer71 said, a Syrian armoured attack against Israel would be suicidal because the Syrian T-72, T-72m, T-62 and T-55 are all inferior to the Israeli Merkava tanks. Israel would very soon establish total air superiority because again Syrian MIG-29s and SU-27s are inferior to Israeli F-15s and F-16s. And Syrian SA-2, SA-6 and SA-8 systems in western Syria would be taken out without much hardship. Only Syria's artillery capability is significant and competent here, and militant and terrorist groups supported by the Syrian regime.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
The news is most probably false rumor. The reason for these rumors is probably cause Syerian army is on high alert and probably being deployed near the border. However, Israel yesterday said that attacks will not be diverted towards Syria but Syria should press on Hizbullah to hand over the soldiers.

isi2004

how about mobilizing the forces into defensive positions, so as to absorb an attack with the least amount of damage to the most valuable systems like the T-72's over the t-55's or t-62's

Manfred

re; syria

As far as I can see, there is another reason for Syria to sit this one out; 100,00 US troops in an ideal position to counter-strike them in the flank.

There is no chance that they will risk AMerican troops rolling into Damascus the way they took Baghdad. Rest easy, there will be no new offensives launched by Arabs in the region as long as we have combat divisions in Iraq... which is probably why they want us out so badly.;)

Rich

The only real ace in the hole Syria has is there missile batteries, which include Chems and probably Bios. Looking at the the balance and terrain Syria would be incapable of defending Damascus against an Israeli armored enveloping attack. Israel holds the high ground in the Golan and their artillery would be a serious problem for the Syrians. Between that and the IAF dominating the air the outcome is academic.

Syria couldn't hope for resupply because they are surrounded by unfriendly countries, or, by the Yanks in Iraq. A big part of the reason the Iranians put their Hizbullah puppets up to all this is out of fear and frustration because things are going south for them both on the World/Nuke/Diplomatic front and the Geo-military front. Uninformed Americans can say what they want about George Bush but his policies are working. Iran and Syria are being squeezed and isolated by the flanking of Yank/Allied forces in Iraq, Afghanistan, peripheral countries, and alliances with regional countries. Both Iran and Syria "most of all Iran" want to regain initiative while manipulating the media into covering the evil American/Jew conspiracy instead of terrorism and Iranian nuclear development and hegemony. Really for Iran its win-win.

And this is a fairly cheap and safe way to do it, putting up their terror puppets to causing trouble in Lebanon. Most of all if they up the ante by supplying more advanced weaponry and missiles.

Sorry If I touched on politics.

Simster

In regard to Syria moving troops and equipment closer Israel this is highly unlikely at this stage. The way I see it is that unless Israel actually goes in and re-occupies Lebanone (which could be possible as recent news reports suggent Israeli equipment & supplies are moving north) there is no strategic or plausable reasons for Syria to risk their defence forces.

Although in a worse case scenario if Israel were to re-occupy Lebanone, and Syria was to get involved (which may encourage Iran involve itself). The outcome that may materialise could be that along similar lines as the 'The day war'?

contedicavour

Simster said:
In regard to Syria moving troops and equipment closer Israel this is highly unlikely at this stage. The way I see it is that unless Israel actually goes in and re-occupies Lebanone (which could be possible as recent news reports suggent Israeli equipment & supplies are moving north) there is no strategic or plausable reasons for Syria to risk their defence forces.

Although in a worse case scenario if Israel were to re-occupy Lebanone, and Syria was to get involved (which may encourage Iran involve itself). The outcome that may materialise could be that along similar lines as the 'The day war'?
I agree that Syrian troops would intervene in Lebanon if Israelis attack with ground troops. Very delicate situation since the Syrians know the terrain, are supported by most of the local population in the Southern bit of Lebanon, and the wooded narrow valleys are ideal for guerrilla warfare...
No chance Syria would attack the Golan Heights (though some artillery exchanges are likely)

Izzy1

Banned Member
Syria's military forces are far from capable of mounting any such sort of operation either now or in the near furture.

Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Syria's forces have been in near constant decline, despite several attempts to improve equipment, organisation and training.

Unfortunately for Damascus, she has little in the way of hard currency to support new procurement. Fairly significant attempts to improve Air Defence Forces with new MANPADS, radars and SA-18s have been made however, and Anti-Tank capabilities have been improved with large quantities of AT-11 being purchased. It should be noted that in both of the latter cases, Westerm Intelligence has speculated that these weapons may end up in the hands of Hezbollah and their like. Western European companies have also aided in the modernisation of under several hundred T-72 MBTs.

Another major problem for Syria's armed forces is that POL imports are at an all time low - the IDF itself 12 months ago stated the Syrian Air Force was operating at minimum flight hours due to severe fuel limitations.

Their training and exercise schedule is even more limited than it was before. Even units that were once considered fairly well trained like the Republican Guard Division and the Special Forces, are now a shadow of their former self.

All in all, I think Syria would be far from eager to march back into the Lebanon or the Golan. But then again, stranger things have happened...

MG 3

the syrians would be crazy!! to launch an attack, but if israel attacks & goes in to syria then the syrians would probally prevail because i presume that they would prefer a gurilla war. this would lead to success cause israel could not even destroy Hezbollah in southeren lebanon in 10years of a gurilla war & the US would not be able to help because its pretty tied up in Iraq & lets not forget iran might also join in.

merocaine

Fantasy Land

A unproked syrian attack is pure fantasy, the military balance between Israel and Syria has never been so one sided. If Israel continues its attacks on Hisbullah and Lebanon it does risk a civil war in Lebanon, the resulting power vacum would see the syrians moving back into the Leb fairly rapidly, and all the resent gains in Lebanese democracy and self determination wiped out.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The last time Zahal faced the Syrians in Lebanon it worked not so well for the Israelis.
But I agree that nowadays the Syrians are not as good as they were in the past.