Tsunami Warning.

h.ufert

Banned Member
Hello Sir

My name is Haakon Ufert. I am directing you to the concept fore coast line. Fore tsunami warning. To utilize supersonic boom off coast line to adress warning fore tsunamis. Boom strenght and use is at your engineers discretion to test. Fore tsunami warning of psycological effect of danger from coast line.

Best regards
Haakon Ufert

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hello Sir

My name is Haakon Ufert. I am directing you to the concept fore coast line. Fore tsunami warning. To utilize supersonic boom off coast line to adress warning fore tsunamis. Boom strenght and use is at your engineers discretion to test. Fore tsunami warning of psycological effect of danger from coast line.

Best regards
Haakon Ufert
I am not sure what you intend. If it is a warning system for tsunami then the best warning system in the world at present is in Japan. For the March 2011 disaster they only had a matter of minutes between the the earthquake event and the arrival of the first tsunami wave. So the first warning is the earthquake itself and for many it would have been the only warning. The earthquake was a magnitude 9.0 which IIRC is the largest recorded in human history, but don't quote me on that because I haven't checked it out.

As a general rule any earthquake of magnitude 7.0 - 7.3 has the potential to generate a tsunami so a watch is initiated by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii. An automatic tsunami warning is generated for an earthquake greater than 7.3 magnitude on the Richter scale. This warning is sent to all the nations and territories in and bordering the Pacific Ocean.

So for a population that is close to a tsunami generation area the warning will be very short, just like in Japan. This is what we call a near field tsunami. For a population that is far way from the tsunami generation area then there is reasonable warning time. In my case I live in New Zealand and we had IRCC about 16 hours warning time. This is a far field tsunami.

Whilst I admire your reason and acknowledge your idea of a warning system it still comes down to where and when the waves are generated. We know some of the science about how and the why but we cannot forecast the when. The same with earthquakes. So my advice to people is if you live near a water body and you have a strong earthquake, head for high ground straight away. If high ground is not available climb up at least two stories of a building or on to a roof. Failing that climb a large tree and hang on.

Tsunami are not just a sea or ocean phenomena, they can occur in lakes as well. Also they can be generated by landslips, volcanic eruptions and bolide impacts (meteor impacts) as well as earthquakes. There was a tsunami in Alaska in the 1950's that was generated by part of a mountain falling into a fjord. The wave was 525 metres high & killed 3 people. We know the height because it clean shaved all the bush around the sides of the fjord.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: