Trump signs 148b arms deal with Suadi Arabia

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm going to start with a large scale LCS frigate purchase, followed up by a major THAAD / PAC-3 / AEGIS -SM3 ashore missile defence system and associated radars, a large air to air refueller contract, a humungous air, naval and ground launched PGM package and a ton of support for existing inventory for a LONG time...

Then quite probably 100 or so more F-15SA's...

t68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to start with a large scale LCS frigate purchase, followed up by a major THAAD / PAC-3 / AEGIS -SM3 ashore missile defence system and associated radars, a large air to air refueller contract, a humungous air, naval and ground launched PGM package and a ton of support for existing inventory for a LONG time...

Then quite probably 100 or so more F-15SA's...

Oh thanks thought most of that had already been settled and the 148B was new business.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
I read some more details on this, seems the Saudi used this deal as part of strategy to build large arms manufacturing company called SAMI (Saudi Armament Manufacturing Industries). Bad news for Turkey and Erdogan who have big ambition to make Turkey as center for Arms Industry in Middle East (outside Israel). Turkey hope much to get the rich Gulf states as their market to help finance their ambition.

One aspects of the deal that not clear enough for me is Saudi participation for rejuvenate US Infrastructure.

vonnoobie

Throwing more guns at the middle east, Great way to create peace -_-

OT but now would be a great time for most of the developed world to start improving relations with Iran. Regionally they are both bad supporting there various groups but at least Iran is more moderate and closer to modern treatment of it's people then that of the KSA.

In regards to the deal, It is $110b USD immediatly in value, $350b USD over 10 years so it is a bloody huge deal.

Ranger25

Staff member
Throwing more guns at the middle east, Great way to create peace -_-

OT but now would be a great time for most of the developed world to start improving relations with Iran. Regionally they are both bad supporting there various groups but at least Iran is more moderate and closer to modern treatment of it's people then that of the KSA.

In regards to the deal, It is $110b USD immediatly in value, $350b USD over 10 years so it is a bloody huge deal.
Perhaps it's a move to further strengthen Gulf cooperation council states against Iran.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Iran Syiah agenda definetely is the main concern for Rich Sunni Gulf States including Saudi. Conflict in Syria and Yaman are all resulted for reaction and counter reaction between Iran vs Gulf States..then again it's well known..

So in my view..Israel should not really concern much on this deal..since those Sunni Gulf think more on Syiah threat rather then Jewish threat..at least for around a decade..after that anything can change again.

For me, I'm more interested with Saudi Ambition to make themselfes as Middle East Military Industry center against similar ambition frm Turkey.
Turkey has more technological edge at this moment compared to Saudi, and they already shown some result. That's why part of this deal coming on..Saudi seems pouring money to step up their game..

OT for a bit...got to ponder something...Saudi and China just signed hunderds billions deal with China invest that in projects in Saudi including if not mistaken minority part ownership on Saudi Aramco..
If you think of this..it's like Saudi got money frm China as Investment..then used that for getting weapons frm US..

swerve

Super Moderator
Perhaps it's a move to further strengthen Gulf cooperation council states against Iran.
Considering the Saudi performance in Yemen, I doubt that selling them more weapons will strengthen them. Competent commanders, good training . . . these would strengthen Saudi Arabia's armed forces.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Considering the Saudi performance in Yemen, I doubt that selling them more weapons will strengthen them. Competent commanders, good training . . . these would strengthen Saudi Arabia's armed forces.
In SA's case, outsourcing is likely the best course for a decent and effective military. This will never happen though.

surpreme

Modern weaponry

I will admit this is a good deal for the SA. Will like to know what training is involved with the deal? Getting all these nice weapons dont mean mean nothing if your own forces don't know the weapons from head to toe. The Saudis armed forces must be reorganized from the top to bottom. When you look at Saudi's forces with the equipment they got they should have destroyed Yemen forces.

Where is the young officer corps? The Syrian Armed forces have a few hard core leaders. Haven't heard or seen new or highly trained officers step up to the plate. Until the Saudis get away with letting everybody else do there dirty work they will away be the same incompetent force.

Ranger25

Staff member
I will admit this is a good deal for the SA. Will like to know what training is involved with the deal? Getting all these nice weapons dont mean mean nothing if your own forces don't know the weapons from head to toe. The Saudis armed forces must be reorganized from the top to bottom. When you look at Saudi's forces with the equipment they got they should have destroyed Yemen forces.

Where is the young officer corps? The Syrian Armed forces have a few hard core leaders. Haven't heard or seen new or highly trained officers step up to the plate. Until the Saudis get away with letting everybody else do there dirty work they will away be the same incompetent force.
The LM CEO has detailed the deal in a pressers and added the deal could be worth an additional 28billion USD over the life of the equipment

http://aviationweek.com/defense/lockheed-ceo-details-potential-saudi-arms-deals