Transfer of tanks

Stimpy75

Hi there, i hope you can help me,but i have a question regarding the transfer of tanks to a foreign customer.
how do you transport them?mostly by ship,i know,but exactly what type of ship is used to do the job?do they use some kind of LST ship?but of the small number of tanks it can carry,that would take a lot of time,for example for the tranport of the 298 turkish LEO-II,or another example for the 320 pakistani T-80U tanks from ukraine! I hope you can help me!
cheers

A

Aussie Digger

Stimpy75 said:
Hi there, i hope you can help me,but i have a question regarding the transfer of tanks to a foreign customer.
how do you transport them?mostly by ship,i know,but exactly what type of ship is used to do the job?do they use some kind of LST ship?but of the small number of tanks it can carry,that would take a lot of time,for example for the tranport of the 298 turkish LEO-II,or another example for the 320 pakistani T-80U tanks from ukraine! I hope you can help me!
cheers
A roll-on roll-off cargo freighter would be most likely I'd imagine, or one with an "extremely" strong crane...

Australia's "new" M1A1 Abrams tanks are being delivered this way as you can see here:

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/armynews/editions/1149/images/09%20-%20abrams.jpg

swerve

Super Moderator
Within Europe, they often go by train. I believe German deliveries to Denmark & Poland have been by train (many years ago I saw a train full of Leopard 1s heading north when I was travelling from Denmark to Germany), & I assume the same is true for some other transfers. In some cases, this includes ro-ro ferries where the train rolls on to the ship.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I would also thin that they go by train if its within europe. Should be the cheapest and fastest way and from the old days there are enough wagons available.

Stimpy75

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the infos!Just to add,do you perhaps know how many tanks fit in a ro-ro ship,juest a guess........50-70 perhaps?

swerve

Super Moderator
Stimpy75 said:
thanks for the infos!Just to add,do you perhaps know how many tanks fit in a ro-ro ship,juest a guess........50-70 perhaps?
Depends on the ship. They vary greatly in size. Why not look some up? The deck dimensions are published, as are the dimensions of tanks.