'There is no choice but war.'

A.Mookerjee

Banned Member
This is the explanation given to justify war. During the Crimean War, many soldiers lost their valuable lives, due to adverse conditions, which resulted in the most horrible medical conditions. But, the powers that be, could not make each other, see the light of reason, by deciding not to war, with each other. Also, some warring factions prefer to dismember their opponents of their limbs. Perhaps, it is better, if one merely ends the life of the enemy as quickly as possible. There is no more demoralizing, scenario for the enemy, when an army follows this way of war. During the Crimean War, Florence Nightingale, improved the lot of those who would be soldiers at war, but we must allow the soldiers to inculcate dignity towards themselves, and consider their opponents to human beings. The Jewish people were not the only ones unfortunate enough to be considered subhumans during the Second World War. The German Forces, The British Forces, The Japanese Armed Forces, all had soldiers, who considered their opponents to be subhumans, and I may also mention the U S Armed Forces in this regard. If your enemy is decimating your forces with regard towards you, your war effort is a Public Relations disaster. Your enemy is not justifying the war, and neither can you.

Cooch

If we are to discuss this issue, then I must ask you to clarify you point(s?).

While I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, I'll make the following points in return.

(1) War is rarely so simple as two sides not being willing to find an alternative. The reality is that whilever there are people - and they have existed all through historyu - who are willing to use force to obtain illegitimate objectives, then there will also be people for whom the best response will be an armed defence. When discussing this, strive to bear in mind that a strategic defence may require a tactical offensive. (eg, the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944 was a tactical offensive, but a strategic defence against the aggression of Nazi Germany).

(2) The decision to engage in war is not validated or invalidated by the tactics used by either party, or by their treatment of the other party's personnel.

(3) There is considerable historical evidence to suggest that (what we would consider to be) immoral treatment of non-combatant, wounded or captured troops does not lessen the resolve or motivation of the nation against whom such tactics are used. On the contrary, by indulging is such "inhuman" behvaiour, an enemy lays himself open to being regarded as less than human, as someone whith whom negotiation is impossible, and against whom all possible means are justified.

Regards............ Peter