Spratly Islands - News and Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManilaBoy

Banned Member
China Builds Lighthouse on PHL Claimed Territory in Spratly's

SUBI Reef is a Philippines claimed territory of the disputed Spratly Islands chain, but China has decided to built a 3 story bldg here complete with wharf and a helipad and there is nothing can be done except another diplomatic protest which will probably fall on DEAF ears again...

Fit to Post – Yahoo! Philippines News » Blog Archive China builds lighthouse on PHL-claimed territory in Spratlys «

SADLY to say, there is nothing the Philippines can do at this time to prevent future constructions by China in it's territorial claim in the Spratly's due to the DIRE conditions of the current Navy fleet...:eek:hwell

BRP Mariano Alvarez PS-38, getting underway inside Manila Bay...Former USN Cyclone Class Patrol Ship, the most modern patrol vessel in the PN followed by BRP Artemio Ricarte PS-37, Ex-HMS Peacock class corvette!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey mate, I realise you're new, but you have to start adding a bit more body to your posts. The forum rules (which can be found here: http://defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php) are clear about one liners, which I've seen you post a few times now - and when you post a link to an article, we'd prefer that you include your own thoughts or commentary on the issue, not just a link without any of your own input. So if you want to edit your post to include some commentary of your own, that would be good. Thanks mate.

rip

No problem mate, I have edited my original post to add more details about the illegal occupation of Subi Reef...:cool:
I think the question is, will anybody do something about it and if so, just what?

I haven’t got a clue but this this Chinese action as part of its clame over all of the Southeast Asian ocean is not going in a good direction.

Are you scared yet? |

You should be.

You should be.

newbee

Banned Member
Spratly is dangerous water, it is clashed many times between China and the other for oil resources

China built first light house in Spratly since 1988 , and clashed a brief fight agains Viets , another time against Fillipno in 1992

Last edited by a moderator:

rip

China built first light house in Spratly since 1988 , and clashed a brief fight agains Viets , another time against Fillipno in 1992
I remember when I was traveling in China several years ago; I was in a train station waiting for a train in an inland city that was far from the sea. There was a very big map on the wall of China with the entire South China Sea labeled clearly as a sovereign part of China. These claims which have no validation in history, have become part of the mythology of Chinese Nationalism, just like the Falklands islands have become part of the mythology of Argentina. We all know how that ended and in this case it could be ten or even a hundred times worse.

The average Chinese citizen dose not doubt in their minds that these islands belong to China and always have, it is part of their ideality as Chines and when something becomes part of you ideality for whatever reason, be it rational or not, there is very little room for compromise because it threatens your concept of yourself. That is very powerful stuff and people will fight to protect it.

Of all the different problems that will be faced with the emergence of China this will be, in the long term, be the hardest to solve and has the greatest danger of causing a full-scale all-out conventional war. This scares me a lot. The eventual confrontation may be many years in the future and by then, I will helpfully will be dead, but you younger people have a lot to worry about.

ed famie

spratly

I think the question is, will anybody do something about it and if so, just what?

I haven’t got a clue but this this Chinese action as part of its clame over all of the Southeast Asian ocean is not going in a good direction.

Are you scared yet? |

You should be.

You should be.
If it's belong to Phil. maritime territory then the Phil. government must do something about, but the government must strengthen first it's forces to patrol his own territory

Kirkzzy

This thread makes me think about other countries that build based in other countries' territories. There is a number of reasons for these and most of the time because the country that is building on another's land does not recognise a certain treaty that makes it legally theirs. For example Australia's territory in Antarctica has many bases by a number of countries, as a lot of them don't recognise it, especially Australia's Antarctic waters where Japan goes whale fishing they do not recognise it as Australia's. It is not their fault, just that some countries make some wild claims without consultation of others.

As far as these things go there needs to be a global system put in place to solve issues like this, it is honestly getting out of hand and (as countries' require more land in this century from over population) it could start wars.

rip

This thread makes me think about other countries that build based in other countries' territories. There is a number of reasons for these and most of the time because the country that is building on another's land does not recognise a certain treaty that makes it legally theirs. For example Australia's territory in Antarctica has many bases by a number of countries, as a lot of them don't recognise it, especially Australia's Antarctic waters where Japan goes whale fishing they do not recognise it as Australia's. It is not their fault, just that some countries make some wild claims without consultation of others.

As far as these things go there needs to be a global system put in place to solve issues like this, it is honestly getting out of hand and (as countries' require more land in this century from over population) it could start wars.

Though I agree with you in general, I think you need to read the Antartic treaty systen on Wikipedia, which Australia has signed, which puts in abeyance all national territorial claims in Antattica as long as the treaty is in force which it is.

Kirkzzy

Though I agree with you in general, I think you need to read the Antartic treaty systen on Wikipedia, which Australia has signed, which puts in abeyance all national territorial claims in Antattica as long as the treaty is in force which it is.
Yes but some countries' don't recognise our Antarctic territorial claims (i.e Japan) and we got lots of Russian and Chinese foreign bases on our territory.

STURM

SADLY to say, there is nothing the Philippines can do at this time to prevent future constructions by China in it's territorial claim in the Spratly's due to the DIRE conditions of the current Navy fleet...:eek:hwell
There's nothing all the claimants, not only the Philippines, can do to prevent additional Chinese moves. China claims all the Spratleys and insits that it will only deal with other claimants on an individual basis, not collectively.

This blog has detailed info on the Malaysian presence in the Spratleys.

A Secure Malaysia - Malaysia Militarium: Royal Malaysian Navy - Offshore EEZ Stations

rip

Yes but some countries' don't recognise our Antarctic territorial claims (i.e Japan) and we got lots of Russian and Chinese foreign bases on our territory.
This is not the place to open that can of worms. The Antarctic treaty was designed to prevent yet another needless area of confrontation between countries in the world. Australia’s clam to begin with is a weak one, based upon the principal of proximity, while the US clam which is older and which it has decided to defer in the interests of a peaceful world, is based upon the stronger principal of first discovery.

The waters around Antarctica, as to biologic resources, is not covered by the treaty but scientific stations of all nations, even the countries that didn’t exist at the time the treaty was signed, are welcomed within it. It was the first international treaty after the start of the cold war that made any sense.

At that time the three mile limit was the only recognized boundary of ocean control, even for recognized countries, much less the two-hundred mile zone of economic control we have today. And Antarctica is not a country for it has no indigenous population on which such rights originate from. As a simple matter of fact, all of the researches stations in Antarctica cooperate with each other to some degree and many of them would not even be possible without that multi-national cooperation.

The major concern in the treaty was that the ataractic would be demilitarized and never become a threat to anyone. A goal it has succeeded in achieving. If you do not like the Japanese fishing off the cost of Antarctica it will require a new international treaty. If that is what you want go for it.

rip

There's nothing all the claimants, not only the Philippines, can do to prevent additional Chinese moves. China claims all the Spratleys and insits that it will only deal with other claimants on an individual basis, not collectively.

This blog has detailed info on the Malaysian presence in the Spratleys.

A Secure Malaysia - Malaysia Militarium: Royal Malaysian Navy - Offshore EEZ Stations
There is a far greater issue at stake than that and that is their clams of national control of virtually all of the water and of course the shipping lanes. If they are really considered islands (not just partially submerged rocks), if they belong to a singal country (any country) then they have the right to control the of commerce around it.

That is unacceptable even for people that have no clams or ether its mineral or biological resources found there. The freedom of the sea is a principal that the US has championed since its beginning. It is a vital part of the world’s free trade system. This is as big as it gets.

In this case China is not going to get what it wants and that is why a very big war that includes a lot of people is a very real danger to us all.

STURM

That is unacceptable even for people that have no clams or ether its mineral or biological resources found there. The freedom of the sea is a principal that the US has championed since its beginning. It is a vital part of the world’s free trade system. This is as big as it gets.
Well yes it is unacceptable, a source of concern and like other disputes at sea, has the dangerous potential of disrupting access to vital sea-lanes in event of hostilities. The hard fact however is that nothing can be done about it, short of a major diplomatic breakhtrough with China in full agreement.

The U.S. and the other 5 claimants - Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Vietnam - can complain and preach about the freedom of the seas all they want but the ball is firmly in China's court. China has refused to budge from it's position and as predicted, has also denounced all outside attempts aimed at resolving this dispute, insisting that talks should only be held by the claimants. The very best we can hope for under the present circumstances is for the status quo to remain and for things not to escalate.

There was a previous discussion on the Spratleys here on Defence Talk.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/military-strategy-tactics/future-us-policy-south-china-sea-9487-3/

Last edited:

rip

Well yes it is unacceptable, a source of concern and like other disputes at sea, has the dangerous potential of disrupting access to vital sea-lanes in event of hostilities. The hard fact however is that nothing can be done about it, short of a major diplomatic breakhtrough with China in full agreement.

The U.S. and the other 5 claimants - Taiwan, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and Vietnam - can complain and preach about the freedom of the seas all they want but the ball is firmly in China's court. China has refused to budge from it's position and as predicted, has also denounced all outside attempts aimed at resolving this dispute, insisting that talks should only be held by the claimants. The very best we can hope for under the present circumstances is for the status quo to remain and for things not to escalate.

There was a previous discussion on the Spratleys here on Defence Talk.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/military-strategy-tactics/future-us-policy-south-china-sea-9487-3/

Let me put into terms that are simple enough for everyone to understand. If China succeeds in enforcing its will upon the world about its unrealistic territorial clams about sovereignty is the South China Sea there are two very real consequences.

The first and most obvious one is, that China has effective control of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand Ocean going commerce, which means all most all of their commerce. They would become virtual vassals to the Chinese and dependent upon their benevolence. I would never depend upon their ethical system for my welfare or am I the only one that is paranoid?

Many other countries would have their commerce potentially restricted if not fully locked up in the area, like the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore.

Then there is a third level of counties like Japan, Korea and Russia that will be put at disadvantage. But the whole world would be affected.

The second and even greater effect would be if China can get away with it why not someone else, do you remember the Gulf of Sidra incident. The oceans of the world would be cut up and the current world economic system and the World Order that supports it would collapse with terrible results. In that scenario China would suffer more than anyone else but they, as I have often said to deaf and un-comprehending, are prisoners of medieval obsolete thinking and can’t see what is in their best interest locked as they are in the themes of the past. And generally successful audience

now as what can be done about it? Anything we want. We just have to pay the consequences just like them and those consequences could be a devastating war where millions of people will die. Like I said before this issue is a big as it gets they do not get any bigger?

We could start by kicking their but of the islands. The world might not be ready do that step right now, but?

Last edited:

STURM

Let me put into terms that are simple enough for everyone to understand.
I understood you the first time and I'm very well aware of the consequences if thngs turn for the worse.There is a big difference between China claiming all of the Spratleys and China taking forcible steps to occupy all of the Spratleys. Despite it's rhetoric China has given no indications that it wants to pursue a more aggressive policy and physically taking the whole of the Spratleys by force.

The first and most obvious one is, that China has effective control of Vietnam, Cambodia,
The economies of China, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are already closely interwined. Chinese investments in these countries, which is already huge is on the rise as well as cross border trade.

The second and even greater effect would be if China can get away with it why not someone else, do you remember the Gulf of Sidra incident.
Yes I remember the Gulf of Sidra incident. I understand the point you're trying to make but with regards to the Spratleys, it is China we are dealing with - a country that will soon have one of the world's largest economies and one that is nuclear armed - not an Arab nation of 7 million with a weak armed forces and a non-performing economy [in the 1980's]. Another very important factor is all of the claimants and the U.S. have economies that are closely tied to China's.

We could start by kicking their but of the islands. The world might not be ready do that step right now, but?
No the world is not ready and nobody wants to up the ante as there is a lot at stake. Who's going to take the lead, the U.S.? I was under the impression that the U.S. has already got it's hands full with Afghanistan, the Middle East, etc.

Last edited:

rip

I understood you the first time and I'm very well aware of the consequences if thngs turn for the worse.There is a big difference between China claiming all of the Spratleys and China taking forcible steps to occupy all of the Spratleys. Despite it's rhetoric China has given no indications that it wants to pursue a more aggressive policy and physically taking the whole of the Spratleys by force.

The economies of China, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are already closely interwined. Chinese investments in these countries, which is already huge is on the rise as well as cross border trade.

Yes I remember the Gulf of Sidra incident. I understand the point you're trying to make but with regards to the Spratleys, it is China we are dealing with - a country that will soon have one of the world's largest economies and one that is nuclear armed - not an Arab nation of 7 million with a weak armed forces and a non-performing economy [in the 1980's]. Another very important factor is all of the claimants and the U.S. have economies that are closely tied to China's.

No the world is not ready and nobody wants to up the ante as there is a lot at stake. Who's going to take the lead, the U.S.? I was under the impression that the U.S. has already got it's hands full with Afghanistan, the Middle East, etc.
As to you comment ”Despite it's rhetoric China has given no indications that it wants to pursue a more aggressive policy and physically taking the whole of the Spratleys by force.”

You are right no body want to play the dangerous game at this point and I am not saying that confrontation is inescapable. If I thought it was inescapable, I would advocate a confrontation on this issue right now, where the costs would be lower to all involved, than it would be if a confrontation comes later. A course of which I don’t in any way advocate, please remember that. My hope is that China matures politically in its way of dealing with the world to the point that they see the advantages of becoming a partner is the worlds over all development and do not become something else. Will this hope be justified I do not know but I do know for certain three things that cannot be forgotten from this point on.

One, is the myth of Chinese sovereignty over the South China Sea has become such an important part of Chinese nationalism that it has now escaped the control of the ruling elites. The Chinese elites have used Chinese Nationalism and the historical anger that fuels it, as a device to sustain their control over the population but at this point they are more a prisoner of that nationalism than it is their tool for them to use.

Two, they are playing a waiting game thinking that all they have to do ware away their opponent’s will and that they will get their way. They have some slogan about it but I can’t remember the name they are using for their strategy at the moment. But the Spratley’s is on their list and they are pursuing it. The other border disputes that China has right now, I believe are more amenable to peaceful settlements than the Spratleys and they will go away in time and as they do the Spratleys will rise to the top of their list and stay there becoming a festering point of frustration.

Three, if they do not change their current course there is only two possible outcomes, a general war or the destruction of The Freedom of the Sea’s Principal and the world trading system that requires that freedom for it to exist.

As to you comment, “The economies of China, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are already closely intertwined. Chinese investments in these countries, which is already huge is on the rise as well as cross border trade.”

Furthermore do not be too impressed with current trading arrangements and Chinese economic power. Trading between countries waxes and wanes for many reasons and nothing is permanent. Does anybody think that the Vietnamese would compromise their sovereignty and independence in exchange for Chinese benevolence or trade, as just one example? Does anybody think that everyone else in the world which are highly dependent on the current trading system, are not going to see what could happen to them if the Chinese get their way?

The closer the Chinese get to their goal and the more that they insist on their vision, the more opposition they will face politically, economically and eventually militarily. Will they try to go ahead anyway I do not know? I know more about what goes on inside China than is typical of a Western person and I do not know or do I believe anyone else knows even the Chinese. We live in interesting times.

If I sound strident in this post I am sorry, it is not because I find anything objectionable about the Chinese people, in fact I like them, their culture, and their art. They currently stand upon the cusp of greatness but that greatness is not yet assured, I wish them well. I do not play the silly game of my country is betters than your country. I love, respect, and will defend my country when required but for my country to be great no one else needs to crawl. I am not sure they agree and that makes me sad.

STURM

The Chinese elites have used Chinese Nationalism and the historical anger that fuels it, as a device to sustain their control over the population but at this point they are more a prisoner of that nationalism than it is their tool for them to use.
To China the Spratleys are now an undisputable of China, just like Tibet and Tukerstan. Nationalism is a powerful tool and unites people.... The Moroccans would say the Western Sahara is 100% Moroccan and the Argentine's would say the same about the Falklands/Malvinas.

Two, they are playing a waiting game thinking that all they have to do ware away their opponent’s will and that they will get their way. They have some slogan about it but I can’t remember the name they are using for their strategy at the moment. But the Spratley’s is on their list and they are pursuing it. The other border disputes that China has right now, I believe are more amenable to peaceful settlements than the Spratleys and they will go away in time and as they do the Spratleys will rise to the top of their list and stay there becoming a festering point of frustration.
I'm no expert on China or Chinese foreign policy but it would appear that China's strategy for dealing with other claimants over the Spratley's would be to use it's greater diplomatic and economic clout, and of course military muscle, to wear down each individual claimant on the negotiation table. Like everyone else, China is contend to mantain the status quo unless off course 'provocative' moves are made by other countries.

Furthermore do not be too impressed with current trading arrangements and Chinese economic power. Trading between countries waxes and wanes for many reasons and nothing is permanent. Does anybody think that the Vietnamese would compromise their sovereignty and independence in exchange for Chinese benevolence or trade, as just one example?
Agreed, nothing is permanent. Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, being in China's backyard have had trading relations with China for centuries. The difference now is that China's a world power and the economies of these countries are tied to the fortune's of China in a way they never were before.

Last edited:

Sampanviking

Banned Member
Well Rip, your complaint seems to be that China has the temerity to have a vision for the future of its own immediate region that is distinct, separate and different from that of the US. What exactly is so surprising about it?

Chinese Assertiveness?

I think this is a subject worth looking at briefly as it cuts to the quick of Sino-American competition.

The question is what exactly is Chinese Assertiveness?

It is of course being spun as a form of Aggressive Expansionism and while the tame western media laps it up uncritically, even a cursory glance at the situation on the ground will expose the untruth of it.

What does seem to be at the heart of the accusation is the fact that China not only refuses to buy into the US version of order, but has the temerity to produce its own and promote it to others in the neighbourhood. Of course any good Starts and Stripes saluting American will never see this for what it is, for to them the US stands for a Progressive Social Order and are outraged that China’s godless communists would want to do things which could dismantle it.

Obviously any International Order is simply a structure imposed by the top and for the tops benefit, so it has hardly surprising that any ascendant power would wish to dismantle another powers structures and replace them with their own.

Chinese and American visions are in competition in numerous Arena’s, but the most high profile at the moment is probably the South China Sea .

China very clearly desires a stable and prosperous region and realises that EU style economic integration has to be the way forward. The US by contrast is happy with the status quo and dressing it up with a few weak regional organisations that do little more than make it easier for US corporations to move in and dominate and which can make a few meaningless noises about political ideology.

China therefore wants to implement radical regional reform in a contested area and to work towards a similar model that in Europe could only come to fruition after the world’s leading powers fought two devastating wars with each other. I think the Chinese answer is a testament to skill and strategy. China has recognised that although it can exert significant influence over the land adjoining nations of South East Asia, it needs to address the whole Region together otherwise it risks creating a dangerous split between the Continental and Maritime Nations. It has further recognised that the South China Sea is the central pivot around which the whole region balances and turns.

In recognition of this China has declared the majority of the South China Sea as its territory and has insisted that the nations of the region negotiate this claim bilaterally. Clearly it is easy for the west to paint this as naked hegemony, but this is a low cost to be paid by China compared to the gains and the fact that those to whom the claim is directed understand what is meant very clearly.

Of course in reality China is not claiming the whole South China Sea as its exclusive territory it is however staking out a claim for its vision and structure of a world order, contrary to the established US position. What is being demanded from the region is not to recognise the Chinese claim as a final solution to a border dispute, but to recognise the validity of the claim and that the validity of this claim has precedence of the validity over the US denial of it.

Once the region has recognised this validity, then the negotiations for the building of new regional structures can begin.

It is therefore nothing more than a battle of wills between the PRC and USA as to whose vision and structures will continue to hold sway.

It now comes down to see which nation and which vision the leaders of the region are indeed actually listening too.

rip

To China the Spratleys are now an undisputable of China, just like Tibet and Tukerstan. Nationalism is a powerful tool and unites people.... The Moroccans would say the Western Sahara is 100% Moroccan and the Argentine's would say the same about the Falklands/Malvinas.

I'm no expert on China or Chinese foreign policy but it would appear that China's strategy for dealing with other claimants over the Spratley's would be to use it's greater diplomatic and economic clout, and of course military muscle, to wear down each individual claimant on the negotiation table. Like everyone else, China is contend to mantain the status quo unless off course 'provocative' moves are made by other countries.

Agreed, nothing is permanent. Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, being in China's backyard have had trading relations with China for centuries. The difference now is that China's a world power and the economies of these countries are tied to the fortune's of China in a way they never were before.
Too: SAMPANVIKING

There is so much that needs to be addressed within your response I cannot get to all of your points and address them fully. Obviously we are both predicating our outlooks upon different assumptions and it is those, as yet unstated and unclarified assumptions, which are at the heart of our disagreements.

It is always a danger when you challenge the deeply felt assumptions of any person. The set of assumptions we live by is called a World View. Our individual World View’s is how we interpret the events surrounding us and their effects in the world as they directly relate to our internal sense of self, they go to our vary identity as a person. And no matter the clarity or the rigorous formulation of the argument employed or the sincerity of the parties to find a rational resolution, such arguments will often tend to be interrupted by one to the other, not as rational perceptions based upon different assumptions but as personal attacks or even worse, to be attacks upon the persons’ country, race, or culture. I am not clamming that you have done so but if the issue changes to the validity of our respective World Views, there is that danger that it could. So many times people on this and on other boards as well, get into useless shouting matches that gets the passions up but does not lead to any understanding. So instead of helping people to find mutual areas of cooperation it only makes things worse.

The reason I went to all of the trouble of stating the difficulties now before us at this time, is because I do not want to have this topic descend to the level of just the trading of insults. Again I did not say you have done so but if we lose discipline then we could. Let us see if we together can overcome this perennial obstacle to human understanding?

To begin, first to your mostly correct observation.

“Well Rip, your complaint seems to be that China has the temerity to have a vision for the future of its own immediate region that is distinct, separate and different from that of the US. What exactly is so surprising about it? Chinese Assertiveness?”

Let us take this statement apart to examine its core assumptions, does China have a different Vision than the US, well obviously it does. The US vision, I think, is fairly clear if you look at the organizations, groups, and ideas it has sponsored all over the world, many of these organizations and policies, the very existence of which, China has greatly profited from. The US has been broadcasting its vision fairly constantly for at least fifty years with specific goals in mind of what kind of world we want to live in. But exactly what is China’s vision? To my dim old eyes and faltering brain all that I can see about China’s new vision is that it should be more important. Ok, then what? Please tell me how dose its vision enhance the peace, health, and prosperity of the world, I want to know, educate me if I am ignorant. I am open to the possibility that improvements are possible; in fact I am sure improvements are possible, what are your proposals? Convince me.

But there is another element within your statement to consider, specifically the emotionally driven reference you put upon the world “temerity”. There is a wealth of subtext in that world and a complete other reality of differences in our two different sets of assumptions. I admite I have a very strong bias which I have made clear on several occasions and that is my strong Anti-Confucianism. It is not an arcane point of abstract Philosophy but a true point of difference in our different sets of assumptions than even supersedes the ones of nationalism. In Confucianism you are ether the master, the pupil, or a rival. Effective cooperation among equals is not honored in that highly stratified and hierarchical thought system which calms to promotes stability (it leads to stagnation and dictatorship) over fruitless turmoil (progress and prosperity). Your unstated assumption is that if you are not in the superior position in the relationship, than you must be in the inferior position, something that is not required within our system of thought and often not even considered a relevant issue in many common situations.

I know you do not believe it when I say it; in fact it might not be even possible for you believe it, no matter what proof is given. I have run into that frustrating situation before. Many of us in the west consider it a great waste of time and energy to play the dominance game when all you want is a specific amount of cooperation not dominance. I have a great deal of experience in working with various oriental peoples who's societies have been heavily influenced by Confucianism and as I have said at other places and at other times on this board, I have worked for them, I have had them work for me, and the most difficult relationship to successfully master is the one between equals. Equals are always seen as rivals and getting reliable cooperation from rivals is difficult no matter the goal you both wish to achieve.

As to Chinese Assertiveness.

We will deal with as it comes. Thou we are wary of the future and what it could bring, we are not afraid and are never likely to become afraid but China seems to have its anxieties. Tell me if you can why is the only possible solution to the territorial issues in the South China Sea is China’s insistence that negotiations with each of the interested parties can be only be conducted separately? This does not make any sense when the other parities clams overlap with each other as well with China's. Does China want to settle these issues fairly or is it idea of settling them so as to get its way by picking off the other countries clams one at a time (Defeat them in detail would be the military term)? What it looks like to these old and dim eyes as it does too many other people, as nothing but bulling.

At this point I will make the true factual statement, which is that China’s clam to these waters is unrealistic and is based upon the sliest of pretexts. This is not the place to expose the flimsiness of those clams because in the end, the right or wrong of them has nothing to do with it but everything to do with the exercise of power. It is the assumption that power alone gives you the right and that is enough, if you really have or will ever have the power to back it up or not.

Yes I have read several of the Chinese classics upon power and the use of military force currently in vogue within China today and I am not impressed. Of all of China’s great history and culture to resurrect only that one aspect is a tragedy. If fact if you take their advice, it is a road that leads directly to disaster but where else would a medieval system of thought take you in the modern world? The world has moved on and different ways of thinking about the priorities of life and the best use of all kinds of power has come into being because they work better.

As an example, you talk about your area (meaning Asia I assume). What exactly makes it yours? The sphere of influence and natural hegemony of geography are both obsolete and dangers ideas. The last ones to try pursuing that as you remember, were the Japanese and their Asia co-prosperity sphere. Remind me again how well did that work out for anybody? Of all the people in the world that suffered the most from that obsolete set of ideas of order and power, China suffered the most and yet at some level you still think these ideas will work and all that you need to do is do is to do the same things just only smarter? Perhaps the approach itself no longer works no matter how cleverly you pursue it.

I have already gone on too long and yet I have barely scratched the surface in pointing out our different assumptions and how those assumptions effect our very perceptions of the world we both live in. I am always trying to learn more and I have been working on understanding just how profound the differences in perception between people can be for a long time. If you can show me my errors, please do.

Last edited:

rip

To STURM as too your comment

“To China the Spratleys are now an undisputable of China, just like Tibet and Turkestan. Nationalism is a powerful tool and unites people.... The Moroccans would say the Western Sahara is 100% Moroccan and the Argentine's would say the same about the Falklands/Malvinas.”

I agree that these beliefs are very strong but do they serve the people that believe in them? So far it seems that they haven’t.

Once upon a time most of the people of Japan believed that their Emperor was a descendent of a God. They believed this very strongly but that belief in the end did not serve them very well and now vary few of them still believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.