Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

F-35_launches_Joint_Strike_Missile.jpg

us-south-korea-drill.jpg

this-year-12700-us-troops-are-participating-alongside-many-more-south-korean-soldiers.jpg

the-us-routinely-dedicates-an-extremely-large-contingent-of-soldiers-and-marines-to-the-drills.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News

This is a discussion on South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; PN Patrol Ship PS-74 RAMS a Chinese vessel near Reed Bank forcing it to flee, the article says it was ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Old October 18th, 2011   #46
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
PN Patrol Ship PS-74 RAMS a Chinese vessel near Reed Bank forcing it to flee, the article says it was an accident but how would China react to this incident...

Navy ship scares off Chinese towing boat - The Philippine Star » News » Headlines

PS-74 as seen during a naval exercise...
ManilaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011   #47
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I wonder if maybe the Spratleys should be spun off as a new country in order to avoid trouble. The problem with this approach is that the government needs to come from somewhere, the citizens need to come from somewhere, the land claimants presumably need to sign off on it, investment in a military and economic base need to come from somewhere, etc.
Rickyrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011   #48
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
China claiming islands through publications

Angry words over East Asian seas : Nature News

Chinese officals are forcing all publications (inc one that have no relevance to the islands) to include the map.

While the Spratleys are there, Vietnamese islands are also included that have not been in dispute.

I think this may be one of those hotspots to watch for in the future. While Malaysia, Taiwan etc have strong US links, Vietnam doesn't and is somewhat isolated in the region. I think we will see Vietnam working very hard with regional partners, building its own capabilities up etc.
StingrayOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011   #49
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Vietnam and the Philippines just signed a PACT yesterday that would combine their naval forces and coast guard in patroling the disputed Spratly islands areas and to be able to respond to emergencies better...

http://manilastandardtoday.com/insid...011/october/27

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/highlight.php?id=1375
Old October 27th, 2011   #50
Defense Enthusiast
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManilaBoy View Post
Vietnam and the Philippines just signed a PACT yesterday that would combine their naval forces and coast guard in patroling the disputed Spratly islands areas and to be able to respond to emergencies better...

http://manilastandardtoday.com/insid...011/october/27

ASIA NEWS NETWORK
Excellent move.. they should expand the cooperation agreement to include the other claimants to the disputed territories..
colay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011   #51
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Taiwan's news agency reported on tuesday that the nation plans to start a solar power project on it's main Spratly claimed island which is the largest one on the entire chain of group of islands and reefs, officials arrived on tuesday aboard a 2,000 ton CGA vessel to attend the grounbreaking ceremony on Taiping island...
Remember, Taiwan is still Han's Imperialis, for the goods of the rest of Asia countries this is not a very good idea. Once claims are set, any countries from SEA will getting permission from China.

That's what China wants, and Vietnam will not tolerate that action and I strongly believe US, EU, Japan, Korea will stand up with SEA.

Nowaday, China already threw its steal fist with a very thick sugar in Africa. Let's see China will bring a better life for African or just coruptions and more killing cause civil wars.

Admin. This isn't useful dialogue. please read the forum rules before responding to any more threads

Last edited by gf0012-aust; October 28th, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011   #52
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
PN Patrol Ship PS-74 RAMS a Chinese vessel near Reed Bank forcing it to flee, the article says it was an accident but how would China react to this incident...

PS-74 as seen during a naval exercise...
I personaly thanks Philipine has a great action, and I wish Vietnam Navy will have the same "accident" like Philipine does.

I don't know what sick China Gov thinking? China still not sit on the top of the World yet and base on the fact Chinese people still has a perfect gap between rich and poor and Chinese people has to immigrated for all countries to find for them a better life.

Admin. This isn't useful dialogue. please read the forum rules before responding to any more threads

Warning issued

Last edited by gf0012-aust; October 28th, 2011 at 03:15 AM.
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011   #53
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STURM View Post
If you liked the article, his latest book, ''Moonson'' will certainly be of interest to you.
Thanks, I will certainly look for that book at the nearest bookstore if they happen to have it here, otherwise I might have to order it online...
Old November 13th, 2011   #54
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
President Aquino is promoting the Zone of Peace, Freedom, Friendship and Cooperation as a solution to the territorial dispute in the South China Sea...

President Noynoy Aquino to discuss Spratlys issue in Asean summit | Sun.Star
Old November 13th, 2011   #55
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasag View Post
Then they have internal problems in Tibet and with the Muslim Chinese in Xinjiang.
1) The internal problems with Tibet and Xinjiang is currently manageable.
2) Tibet and Xinjiang is pretty mild compared to the internal troubles of India and The Philippines.

Quote:
The PLA also functions mainly as a well-equipped police force throughout China,
1) Really?

Quote:
And they have Taiwan to watch out.
1) Funny you should say that it is the PRC that should watch out for ROC...
2) There really is less tension between PRC and ROC than people imagine.
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011   #56
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I think the social tensions of China are greatly exaggerated by the media of other countries. Like how everytime I read the paper they are always talking about,

Social Unrest..... Social Unrest...... Social Unrest.... and then boom what do you get ? A whole bunch of riots in WESTERN COUNTRIES.
legoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011   #57
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
China's new territorial claim was 'REJECTED' by the Philippines, the area is called Reed Bank which is rich in gas deposits and is only 80 kilometers from the province of Palawan but is not located in the disputed Spratlys Islands...

Philippines rejects new Chinese territorial claim - Yahoo! News
Old November 14th, 2011   #58
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
If not for the potential for oil and gas reserves in the area, I doubt there is anything much involving the island chain that would be worth fighting over. Unfortunately, as oil reserves dwindle and Chinese energy requirements grow, I can see this as a hot spot within the next decade or two if these reserves exist in significant amounts.
PCShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011   #59
Lieutenant Colonel
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCShogun View Post
If not for the potential for oil and gas reserves in the area, I doubt there is anything much involving the island chain that would be worth fighting over. Unfortunately, as oil reserves dwindle and Chinese energy requirements grow, I can see this as a hot spot within the next decade or two if these reserves exist in significant amounts.
Even without Oil & Gas Reserve, the area is one of the busiest and increasingly one of the most important commercial artery in the world. Thus it's still strategically important area, gas or oil just add the game.

There're Gas and Oil in the area. Indonesian Natuna's Block that bordered the disputed area already show that contain one of the biggest gas reserve in the region. That's why Natuna island even though does not located in the disputed region, but since it's bordered the disputed area, it's equipped with an airfield that can support F-16 and Flankers.
Ananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011   #60
Banned Member
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
US Secretary of State Clinton was aboard the USS Fitzgerald yesterday while anchored inside Manila Bay signing a memorandum with the Philippines DFA Secretary Alberto Del Rosario...

Hillary Clinton in Manila for talks with president

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: